The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146968 - 04/23/08 01:46 AM Do you tint your hair yourself?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Hi all.
I was wondering. Do you tint your hair yourself or do you have a hairdresser do it?
If you do tint your hair at all, that is.

If you tint your hair, how often do you do it? Every four weeks? Every six weeks?

Where do you get your ingredients? Do you go to a beauty supply? Do you get them from the drug store? Or does your hairdresser supply them?

I'd love to know what most do so if you'd share, I'd appreciate it much!

Dancer, who has a hairdresser tint and highlight her hair.

"Question your privilege"

#146969 - 04/23/08 03:19 AM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: dancer9]
yonuh Offline

I used to do my own but decided it was too boring having it all the same color, and I didn't have enough patience or dexterity to do the highlights etc. myself. I am blessed with an artist who not only cuts and colors my hair, but also puts art on my nails. I love her!! And I've been with her, following her from salon to salon, for 13+ years. I don't know what I would do without her. She buys the supplies for my hair, and is always trying new things, which I enjoy. She does my hair every 6 weeks - it grows fast - and my nails every 2 weeks. She manages to make my hair look like it's full of life and body when it's really baby fine with no body at all.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#146970 - 04/23/08 11:40 AM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: yonuh]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I color my hair myself. Do it about every 5 or 6 weeks........whenever I get my hair cut, I usually do it within a day or two of getting it cut. I have short hair and get a trim about every 5 weeks. Before starting to go gray, my hair was dark brown/almost black and I continue to color it dark, but I realize that at some point I'm going to have to do something different. I paid to have it done once and the gal got dye all over my neck and ears and didn't clean it up well while I sat there waiting for the color to take, and since I'm nearsighted and didn't have my glasses on during the process, didn't know it til I got home and had to live with the stains on my neck and ears til it came off which took several days. At that point I thought I can do a better job myself, and I do. I buy my haircolor at places like Walmart or the grocery store, I have a couple of brands I really like and try to buy them whenever they're on sale or I have coupons.
While we're on this subject, thought I'd also mention that once in a while, if we're going on a trip or something and I'm midway between haircuts/haircoloring, I'll use the root touch-up stuff that they have out now. The one Clairol puts out is great. I do my roots and any obvious spots with it first, than because my hair is short, I can comb it thru all my hair and kind of refresh the color, and it'll hold me for another 3 weeks.
The whole process is kind of a pain (time-consuming, but it would be that way if I went to a salon too) and can get messy and many times I've thought about not doing it anymore but after I do it I'm always happy with the way my hair looks and I'm just not ready to go completely gray.
And also, I always wear a hat if I'm going to be out in the sun, it helps the color to last, keeps it from fading and turning a funky red/brassy tone that is anything but flattering!!

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (04/23/08 11:42 AM)

#146971 - 04/23/08 01:27 PM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I don't paint or paper rooms and I sure don't tint my own hair. I get more paint on me than the walls and more glue on me than where it should be. If I tinted my own hair, it'd turn out some freakish shade of blue, orange or pink. It might even be purple!

#146972 - 04/23/08 02:09 PM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: jabber]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
When I first started coloring my hair, I went to a stylist to get it done. The expense kept climbing and climbing, so I finally decided to do it myself. I colored it on my own for a few years, until it started looking like it was all one color and very bland. So two years ago I went to a new stylist - she's much cheaper and does a better job for me, so I'm very happy.

I go every 6 weeks, right on schedule. She's wonderful because she takes her time and does a great head massage when she shampoos - mmmmm. If I didn't color my hair I'd be totally grey.

My stylist told me I'd look great if I let my WHITE hair grow out; she's seen lots of women doing that lately. I thought about it, and mentioned it to my hubby. Oh my gosh, you should have seen the look on his face! No way he wanted a grey wife!! I think it would make me look much older, so we're sticking with the color for now.

#146973 - 04/23/08 03:40 PM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Mountain Ash Offline

Until three years ago I covered the few grey hairs.My hairdresser did this every thrim which was six weekly.Then I noticed it needed more often attention. I decided to stop colouring and had a good trim.It is now dark with some grey woven in by nature. There is nothing I dislike more than someone making their hair solid black when older..except piebald when its in need of tinting.Especially on an elevator.I like I can wear lilacs and mauve and even grey now well.Earlier I did not suit those shades.
Mountain ash

#146974 - 04/23/08 08:37 PM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
When I moved to Florida I got the recipe from my hair person and have been doing it myself ever since. I buy products from Sally's Beauty Supply. Are they in your town? You don't need a license.

I try to get a cut every 6-7 weeks and color after the cut. I use Wella color.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#146975 - 04/23/08 11:06 PM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Not for yeras now, but I have been considering it. Hey girls that were here, what did you think of my natural color hair and BE HONEST, its important to me....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#146977 - 04/24/08 12:10 AM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I go from a dishwater yuck color to blond, and my hair grows fast, so I do the all over color myself. I go in once or twice a year for high and low lights. No gray yet, just ugly dark roots.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#146978 - 04/24/08 12:21 AM Re: Do you tint your hair yourself? [Re: Anno]
dancer9 Offline

So lucky, Anno! No gray yet? Great!

dancer

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved