The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#140398 - 01/31/08 05:13 PM How we see ourselves on the outside...and inside.
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I wanted to make a post to clear up some PM's I have gotten and some posts on the forum.

Fashion is a hobby for me if and I appreciate it in woman that are 75 to women who are 25. I like it if someone wears overalls or if they are in a gown! It is all about personal taste. I do not view fashion as a young thing, I view it as an art. To express ourselves, we dress on the outside, even if we wear jeans and a sweat shirt, we are saying a bit about ourselves whether we like it or not. I am interested in this, at any age.

It has been implied to me that I am about what is on the "outside," because of the nature of my work. I wanted to clear that up.

I sing with musicians that are accomplished and older than myself 9 times out of 10. To sing the Blues and Jazz with them has nothing to do with what one looks like, it's about who can sing, period.

I am not about the "outside," I am about the inside. If I were about the outside I would not have achieved even the ballet barre which is the hardest sport according to a Harvard study than any other. Female dancers are said to be able to stand more pain than any other athelete, including MALE dancers! You must have depth to make it through, much less to dance professionally! One cannot be about what they look like.

and so my focus is on the whole woman when I think about fashion, etc...

I try to be well rounded and I think that in 3D, those who know me take me to be very well rounded. I am not a Barbie Doll and have never been one!

I say this and post this because of PM's and some posts implying otherwise. These have hurt me. I post on the fashion forum and I do so hoping that EVERYONE will join in and give me pictures mentally of all sorts of looks and ideas!

How do you veiw yourself? I have had a lot of people say that they are beyond caring what they wear, I wonder why this is, but not in a mean way, in an interested way!

I cannot be seen here, nor can anyone else. I only hope that I can be "veiwed," as a three dimensional woman who has worked on her "insides," and continues to do so!

To answer my own question:

On the outside I think I see myself as a bit sophisticated to be honest. On the inside, I am sensitive and introspective.

dancer

"Question your privilege"

#140400 - 01/31/08 07:03 PM Re: How we see ourselves on the outside...and inside. [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Dearest Anne3,
Black designer jeans are pretty hip! They are what many women who are the type who do dress all their lives for many events, wear! Most women choose blue jeans to be safe and especially if they are paying for designer jeans, they usually go for blue!
So, you are dressing "hip," no matter what you set out to do! Are you blonde? If so, you must look great in what you describe.
Truthfully, more employees of Vogue and other magazines focused on fashion, INTERVIEW in designer jeans! They are the new "uniform," for high fashion women!

( I don't wear jeans myself,)

Yes, your outfit is happening despite whether or not you tried! It's called "good taste," and you have it!

dancer9

#140401 - 01/31/08 11:05 PM Re: How we see ourselves on the outside...and inside. [Re: dancer9]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I never thought of you as one dimentional, just for the record, and enjoy your fashion and style posts.

I love to buy and wear "art". But, while I often look pulled together and a bit sophisticated, I am really a tough old goat with tons of sensitivity. I am also gentle and have a very rough side. I guess if you could see me, you might easily see me much differently than I truly am. And, since you can't see me, you might read me much different than I really am.

Make any sense?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#140402 - 02/01/08 12:07 AM Re: How we see ourselves on the outside...and inside. [Re: Anno]
dancer9 Offline

Thank you, Anno! You are not an "old goat!" LOL, I certainly never read you that way! Yes, I know people sound differently when you read them but I've listened all of my life, dancers don't talk and singers sing the lyrics. I NEVER talk about myself when I'm with people, I don't know how, but I listen, and I listen closely!

You, Anno, are always a sophisticated voice! I doubt you would EVER generalize someone or put them in a box.

dancer

Edited by dancer9 (02/01/08 12:10 AM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved