The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#184914 - 06/22/09 09:37 PM Bras
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
We have had a great discussion about cleavage, now let's talk about something really important - bras.
There is nothing more important than a well-fitting bra. A good fit can take 10 lbs and 10 years off and a bad fitting one will add that much. Get measured by a professional once a year because the girls are always changing!

#184923 - 06/22/09 10:33 PM Re: Bras [Re: Louise_Kahle]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hmmm...professional fitting only for some of us.

Without my boobs, I'm 31 inches around...very petite upper body frame with petite appendages laugh

Methinks little women also can get easily neglectful on bra support too. They need it, it's just they need less support and different bra construction. This too is a pain in the butt when shopping. I hate laying down alot of money for "less" support and ...less fabric to cover up my essentials because I'm smaller.

Nowadays there alot of bras with ...in my opinion, too thick padding. Bras like that 20 years, used to be butt of jokes. Now it's common to see all sorts of cute bras with bouncy padding. LoL.

As for US vs. UK bra sizing, may I speculate in giving an opinion. Maybe women are just getting "bigger" because they truly are becoming heavier?

Ok, because I'm of Asian descent...I would tend to notice alot more physical differences among Asian women and because I live in a city with alot more Asians. Over 25 years ago, it was rare to see women of Asian descent with noticeable/generous boobs. Now it's way more common..based on the decollatage that I see on the younger generation. Because of eating more junk food and Western based diet, in my opinion, I just see alot more chunkier Asian women that are bigger framed, heavier in weight, etc. Therefore requiring bigger bras.

The padded bra sydrome, in terms of scads to be sold, I used to see ONLY in Chinatowns 25 yrs. ago (I used to be so embarrassed to see this obvious desire for bigger looking bust underneath clothing)...But now in the mainstream stores...

Wonder why. LOL.

#184941 - 06/23/09 12:25 AM Re: Bras [Re: orchid]
Louise_Kahle Offline

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
You are absolutely correct about the Asians, and every other country that has adopted America's unhealthy diet,gaining weight. It's not only the weight gain but the fact that they are becoming more unhealthy with the western diet.
But this is a fashion column and much as I would like to go on about nutrition (hey, how come there is a column about diet and exercise but none about nutrition? - it's not the same thing.)
As for padded bras, women don't wear them exclusively to look bigger, they often wear them to look better in their clothes.

#184942 - 06/23/09 12:53 AM Re: Bras [Re: Louise_Kahle]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I refuse to wear padding because it just makes me look bigger, which I don't need. Menopause has added enough padding, thank you.

Poet and essayist

#184958 - 06/23/09 08:32 AM Re: Bras [Re: meredithbead]
Mountain Ash Offline

Just like shoe sizes differ UK/US I was interested to see if there was also with bras.
I have a good local shop who measure and I have a preferred brand but would like a sports bra.
My maternal family all are well endowed..my aughter petite..I think apart from hormones in medication. heredity plays a part.
but also the hormones given to cattle...I avoid beef
and all chicken we eat is free from added hormone

#184965 - 06/23/09 01:19 PM Re: Bras [Re: Mountain Ash]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I don't like padded bras neither. Like Meredith, menopause has given me more padding than I want! It is hard to find a reasonable priced, comfortable, good support, and the right cup size that I don't have to take a second mortgage out on the house. One of the brands I have to wear is Wacoal to be able to get all those things, but those bras are very expensive in my opinion. In cheaper brands, I can find band size but not cup size...and if I can, the straps are so flimsy and the bra is scratchy. Bra shopping is the worst! And...what about nipple concealment? Anyone have concerns about that, or do you not care? If a bra has no lining or padding at all, it looks like two pencil eraser tips poking out through the blouse. blush

#184980 - 06/23/09 03:05 PM Re: Bras [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I second everything you said, Cookie. I would rather walk through fire than go bra shopping. They are so expensive, and the ones that aren't, wouldn't hold up two balloons for a week.

If anyone ever made a custom bra that doesn't break the bank, they would have a customer in me for life!

#184992 - 06/23/09 03:49 PM Re: Bras [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kohl's has great sales and they sell lots of good lingerie. Anyone shop at Kohl's?

I wonder if underwearmaven could help...

Also, about a bra with a little pad - it keeps the nipples from showing too.

#184995 - 06/23/09 04:12 PM Re: Bras [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I shop Khols, but finding bras isn't the problem...the problem is that when you are well endowed, bras that FIT properly have become extinct. This would be a great questions for Underwearmaven.

#185003 - 06/23/09 06:10 PM Re: Bras [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
I would rather walk through fire than go bra shopping.

Amen! I've been to so many professional fitters, but have yet to find a bra that's comfortable. My skin is so sensitive. At one fitting, I insisted that I couldn't wear anything with underwire, but the fitter assured me that I wouldn't even notice "this one". Tried it on, she went out to find more, by the time she got back, all of my skin was red, blotchy, itchy and we had to stop trying on bras for the day. She couldn't believe her eyes, said it was the first time she'd ever seen a reaction like that.

I'm pretty much stuck with Playtex. As for padding, I don't need it either (menopause), but I bought the niftiest things for hiding those pointies under t-shirts. They're little gel pastie things that go right over the npls, effectively turning any bra into a t-shirt bra. Best $8 I ever spent. You should be able to find them in the bra section of any major department store. I'll try to post a picture. They're really small, just stick to your skin and you don't even feel them. But they hide the nipples better than any bra I've ever owned.

Edited by Eagle Heart (06/23/09 06:13 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved