The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 100 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176674 - 03/10/09 06:18 PM Fashion moves to the forties!
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
This season's collections and by this season's, I mean fall, went to the 1940's by many designers.
Because of the economic downturn, many designers went to the 40's for inspiration and designed plainer suits in gray and penstripe. There is a LOT of black for next winter and fall and not much color.
They are reacting to the world economy and hoping to sell these fashions to women who do not want to show off because of the people who are doing without. They feel that women will be more likely to wear more expensive clothing if it doesn't show up like the bright colors that often come with fall.
What about you? Will you tone down your colors as a reaction to the recession?
What do you think of the forties fashions?

Dancers

"Question your privilege"

#176675 - 03/10/09 06:24 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: dancer9]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
As in Katherine Hepburn wide trousers and mannish jackets? Well, if they're coming back then I must buy, buy and buy. I love them! I don't have much choice in colours for work attire because there is a certain decorum in what we wear. Black, black and more black. And, grey in-between.

#176681 - 03/10/09 07:33 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Actually, the economic turndown won't affect my wardrobe...it's so old that it looks as those I'm ALREADY affected. But I do LOVE, absolutely LOVE the 40s look. So count me in on buying some of those fashions if that is what hits the marketplace!

#176722 - 03/10/09 10:18 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I still have clothes in my closet I wore in the 50's. I hate to throw anything away unless it is really tattered and these clothes are in good shape. I pretty much wear what I want to wear, style to me is my business and I am NO follower, not even in the latest styles. Plus who is skinny enough to wear these new styles anyway? Not me!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#176735 - 03/10/09 11:30 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I really love the Katherine Hepburn look, even though I may not be wearing it. Such classic elegance.

BTW, I have the original 78 of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by the Andrew Sisters!

Poet and essayist

#176738 - 03/11/09 02:12 AM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: meredithbead]
Ellemm Offline

I already have a ton of black; it suits me and it's easy to wear. As to whether I'll go for 40's clothes, probably not. I have no idea what I'd do with a suit and am not likely to go for clothing that will require new shoes, etc. My reasoning is that something that suddenly becomes fashionable is likely to quickly look dated. If it becomes a more lasting look I'll check into it. I'll admit I'm not much for keeping up with the trends, but an awful lot of them seem to come and go in the blink of an eye.

#176743 - 03/11/09 09:58 AM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: Ellemm]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
There are great dresses from the 40s -- back in the 60s I used to find them in resale shops and rummage sales. I love the fitted tops and full skirts and interesting prints. In fact, I still have one of those -- it's a lush green with a swirly pattern of pink yellow and white. I also don't do suits and prefer a softer look.
Meredith -- do you have a record player that plays 78s? I need to find one for some old 78s I have.

#176775 - 03/11/09 07:56 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: DJ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
The new 40's looks will last forever. They are classics. Now the trend is to choose the decade and wear the clothing. The 80's are hot for the younger set and skinny jeans with skinny bottoms. The middle aged to older set wears cargo pants, cropped pants and slacks. These are all available because there are so many designers. The stores like, what is it? Forever 21, knock off these designs and sell them for almost nothing. Also, Target sponsers a designer of high line every season to design less expensive clothing for their stores. This is done in England at a store called H & M. ( I think that's the name.)

Forties clothing ARE classics. They NEVER go out of style and quickly they will be picked up in the gray and black they are using now. People are looking for clothing that will last and last because of the recession.

The funny thing is that women usually never stop getting their hair done, shopping for clothing or doing their nails in a recession! Those are some things women will not do without. They will continue to spend money on their skin as well.

In France, a woman is likely to go to the salon for her hair to be washed or some other beauty treatment every day, or every other day. I like this about France because the salons are not so expensive and they serve as a meeting place for all ages of women.

Do you know that in American, it will cost you about 30 dollars just to go to the salon and have your hair blown dry? This is wrong and the service should be low priced for those like myself who cannot do their own hair very well because of a disability. ( I use a straight iron on mine.)

Nail treatments are pretty reasonable in this country due to some of the ethnic groups that get together and grow businesses together that do very, very well. They do a fast and good job on nails and charge less than half the price of a hair salon.

anyway, back to the forties. The style of wide pants in the forties was very popular with the upper classes. Another to wear that style was Lauren Bacall. She still wears them often. Babe Paley wore capris very often back then and in later times, Jackie O.

Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#176789 - 03/11/09 09:10 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: dancer9]
Ellemm Offline

How are those of us who are short-legged supposed to wear wide pants and not look like we're standing in a hole? Seriously, I would appreciate some tips. (This would be me, of course.)

And if someone wants me to get my nails done they should send me some better nails. Really, I'm grateful I have hands but this is not a good fashion look: literally child-sized and almost round. Oh, and I'd like some longer fingers if people have some to spare so I could look a little more elegant. Thank goodness for pockets!

#176801 - 03/11/09 09:45 PM Re: Fashion moves to the forties! [Re: Ellemm]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
There is more than one look in this wonderful world of ours Ellemm, too tall, too short, too wide, too narrow, short nails, long mishapen nails or even perfect nails, who cares????

As long as we are healthy and our hands work and our short or long legs carry us well, who cares????

We all need to be happy with what God has given us. Life is too short to spend it grousing because we are less than perfect. Who cares????

Love yourself for the grand creation you are.

I AM DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT THIS. You are beautiful!!! So is everyone.

Don't worry, be happy!!!
Okay this is where I break into song!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved