The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 211 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#174390 - 02/12/09 04:00 PM Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Who does Michelle Obama turn to for clothing? The secret is out: Ms. Goldman, owner of Ikram, a Chicago Boutique.

It seems that Ms. Obama has been shopping in this boutique for years and trusts the owner so far as taste and buying. She allows this woman to suggest clothing and designers out of her boutique.

The debate: Some say that giving a boutique owner decide what designers to try and to buy limits the REAL designers who are American and who know more about fit, color and other fashion action from being involved in dressing the First Lady. Ms. Goldman almost always limiits the choices to the designers she carries in her boutique and other more experienced or other new designers can't get their clothes seen by the First Lady if they do not have an "in," with Ms. Goldman.

Some critics do not like the choices that Ms. Goldman has made for Ms. Obama like the inaugrual gown, that has been bothering fashion fans. Ms. Goldman is a buyer of fashion for her long popular boutique, not a designer, a fitter, or anyone in the fashion field with experience in making a woman look her best. So many American designers sent dresses for the First Lady to contemplate but she wore designers from Ms. Goldman's boutique. It is said that she almost exclusively buys from this woman.

What do you think? Should she shop on this woman's advise alone? Should she allow other American designers like Vera Wang and others to get their dresses tried and seen?

I believe Michelle needs to open up and open herself to other designers who know how to cut, fit and flatter a woman. I don't think a boutique owner, who buys with her own taste in mind has the experience to dress the First Lady.

What do you think?

This is my latest report on Michelle Obama's clothing!

Over and Out,
Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (02/12/09 04:01 PM)

"Question your privilege"

#174395 - 02/12/09 04:41 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: dancer9]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I think she should buy what she wants, from who she wants, and wear whatever she wants. I just never understood all the hoopla over the wardrobe of the first lady. Maybe she'll start new trends, why does she have to go along with existing trends?

I think the designers just want to be able to say that the First Lady wore their clothes. She needs to pick the things she wears based on what she likes, not on what designers think she needs to wear.

My 2 cents...

#174396 - 02/12/09 04:43 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Maybe wearing designer clothes is not her top priority? Maybe she's like me and doesn't really care about what's in and what's out, and just wears what she likes? Not everyone is in to high fashion. And just because she's the first lady doesn't mean she needs to change who she is.

2 cents plus 2 cents makes 4! smile

#174403 - 02/12/09 05:41 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
thanks for your 4 cents DD smile lol made me smile as i a whole pockatfull od cents sometimes.

i admire her loyalty, if she wase't the first lady she go to this long time trusted frend. Now she is its says something of who she is as a person concerning her loyalty to those whom she assosiated with before she was this famouse. I like that.

over time i sure she widen a bit but maybee not. Thos other desiners that are high flying i sure will find thir fame elseweer, won't they?

#174424 - 02/12/09 08:12 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: celtic_flame]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Even though Mrs. Obama is a first lady, she is also an individual and has her own idea of style. We may, or may not agree with her choices but they are her choices for her attire, and what we think doesn't matter one bit.

Not all first ladies can look as good and dress like Jackie O, or Nancy Reagan and sometimes even Laura Bush, but her style was more plain than her two predecessors.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#174450 - 02/12/09 11:11 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I like her loyalty. That speaks volumes to me.

She's a lovely looking woman and looks good in everything. She may not look like what some perceive as a fashion model (which probably isn't her priority) but she looks respectable and more like the rest of us...and I like that. I hope she doesn't start wearing all the top designer wear.

#174474 - 02/13/09 03:54 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: Dotsie]
Ellemm Offline

Michelle Obama has only been first lady for about a month. If she has a long-standing relationship with Ms. Goldman, I'm glad she's remaining loyal to her. Too many people drop their associates when they hit the big time; perhaps Michelle wishes to stay in her comfort zone for awhile before branching out. Besides, I understand she has worn White House Black Market, which is related to Chico's, Gap, and J. Crew. She's wonderfully wall, modern, and willing to mix it up regarding fashion.

It's interesting that she invokes such interest and I can understand why after her predecessor. Laura Bush seems like a private lady and was always appropriate, safe, and totally forgetable in terms of her appearance. In fact, I can't remember a single thing she wore in 8 years. (I assume, of course, that she was simply being true to herself.) I'd be surprised if she had boosted any designers with her clothing choices. Michelle Obama has already helped showcase several newer designers who have watchd their own businesses expand.

It's funny: we talk about Jackie Kennedy being so elegant, and she was, but she was a woman of her times. If I remember correctly she herslf was very loyal to Oleg Cassini. I'm sure other designers wished for her business! Today she'd seem a bit dated, though, with her emphasis on big designers and Paris fashions. American designers have more than come into their own since then.

#174475 - 02/13/09 04:07 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: Ellemm]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Michelle looks like a woman comfortable in her own skin, body and the clothing that she wears. She is respectful to herself and to the world, how she presents herself in the clothes she wears.

She probably cares about well-cut clothing that suits her bone frame, etc.

I'm sure she has a few indulgent/favourite choices that are not made public. Whether it's shoes or earrings or whatever.

She will be in near future Vogue magazine. Bet there's gonna be tons of people pouring over that when it's released.

#174496 - 02/13/09 02:40 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
do you know something....i can't rember mrs bush either!

#174526 - 02/13/09 06:33 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Wardrobe Mistress [Re: celtic_flame]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Michelle Obama IS wearing designer clothing. She is wearing some expensive designer clothing but only clothing shown and sold in the store of Ms. Goldman, so she is not saving money but she is loyal as Dotsie said.

It is just that some designers want to be considered and Ms. Goldman does not sell them or have a relationship to her.

My personal opinion is that the First Lady must grow as all of us must do. She should try other designers while still maintaining her relationship with Ms. Goldman. She does not have to exclusively wear from Ms. Goldman's shop, in my opinion.

She should do her best to put forth her best and yes, stay comfortable in her "skin." She does not know what else is out there so it wouldn't hurt her to try others that have established themselves AND the US by working in the clothing trade for years.j

We must honor our American designers and not exclude them if they are successful. They would work with her as well and perhaps she would expand her friendships in the field of fashion. Most first ladies "marry," a designer or two, (Hillary and Donna Karen, for example.) I think a rut is what we get into if we don't shop around for things to brighten our mood and our horizens. Then again, I wear a lot of different designers and had to when modeling so I know what is out there. She CAN wear almost anything so she has a world of clothing to choose from.

On the other side of it, Ms. Goldman has declined any press interviews and smartly, is not talking to the press.

Dancer

Just my opinion though.

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved