The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#127671 - 09/12/07 01:04 AM What is your style?
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
In what style do you dress? Are you classic, or bohemian, or a jeans girl, etc? There are so many styles and now you can wear what you like anytime so I was wondering what you all would call your "style of dress?"

I'll start, I am "classic with a twist," I'm told. I wear classics most of the time but I'll do something diffrent with them. My shoes can get out there from time to time, I collect designer shoes so I have many different pairs and match them with strange things at times. I also wear socks with my sandals sometimes. I'm 5'8" and about 130 so I take some liberties but I never dress "sexy," in fact, I'll wear menswear in a classic way sometimes. I am a dress girl at heart.

what about you?

dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#127672 - 09/12/07 04:03 AM Re: What is your style? [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
At this time in life, I don't know what my style is because I am choose comfort, safety and health over fashion at this ti me. Though 20 years ago, I was more bohemian ...because I sewed my own clothing. Now I don't sew..too busy on bike and other stuff.

I think I'm classic with some unusual touches here and there occasionally. These are the reasons why I don't seem to know my style, since it's lack of opportunity to wear certain things because of where I work and my lifestyle:

*I work at a construction site right now. But in office, so definitely I have been a bit more business casual. People wear jeans alot. I don't though I do have a figure that does/can wear jeans ..I simply choose not to often .. And part of work commute is walking to and from bus stop via heavy machinery equipment, dust, dirt...forget about dress shoes, dress coat. When it gets darker in evening, I wear bright sports jackets for my own safety when walking through construction area .. Meanwhile I have scads of beautiful suits,dresses in closet worn in previous jobs.

Since I bike during my work commute, having work biz casual clothing that will withstand wrinkle is important. And to get in and out quickly. (15 min. to change attire. That's my limit.) I have several sarong short skirts that I do wear to work. Some are literally a large, Indonesian fabric rectangle that I tie around...with a black high neck tank top or whatever.

On weekends, I am on the bike alot. So it is cycling attire or walking shorts. AGain classic and probably boring clean lined tank tops, shells, T-shirts, etc.

My rule of thumb for self since I'm petite at: 5'1" is no piece of dress clothing should be too loose for me..otherwise I will expand without noticing..

My partner's daughter saw me a few weeks ago in strapless black dress at a wedding..she exclaimed to me: "I've never see you like this. You're always in shorts". She's visited us for over past decade....and true, 80% of time I am in shorts at home/on the street.

Best way to understand my style and style desires, that wishes for time and space is what I choose for my earrings that I wear:

*every day pair -freshwater pearls (of course they are irregular shaped) on zigzag silver wire..so that don't fall off while off and on bike.

*silver swan earrings - I love this pair
*raven birds aboriginal design -silver
*phoenix rising birds -silver
*silver calla lily flowers

2-3 inch wide silver bracelets that hug halfway up my arm. I dislike jangly bangles and silver charms.

Classic but with some touches of drama/interest ...for the times I DO think to take time..

#127673 - 09/12/07 02:11 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: dancer9]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Give me the classic, tailored style. I love clean simple lines, the classic pieces, in soft, more muted color shades, a bow to a complexion no longer young. I choose silk over satin, for the same reason. I have never been a jewelry gal, opting ever for the less is best ideal. Usually a great pair of earrings makes the only jewelry statement I desire.

I love dresses and skirts, at, or just above, the knee length. Ooh! pencil skirts and fitted sheath dresses! The past couple of fashion seasons have given us so many lovely dresses from which to choose, it's been fun dress shopping for the first time in years. Shoes-I like my 2-3 inch heels,(Franco Sarto must design especially for me!) boots, ballet flats, and sweet little summer sandals. I refuse to wear flip-flops anywhere except the pool and the beach!

I like jeans and pants with waistlines!

I absolutely love the Fall 2007 belted looks! I love many of the menswear inspired pieces, and the soft romantic look of silk, paired with these. One of my favorite recent purchases is a tunic-length, slightly fitted at the waist, white poplin shirt. Amazing worn casually with jeans!

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#127674 - 09/12/07 10:31 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: Jeannine]
dancer9 Offline

Jeannie,
We agree on much! The only difference is my need to avoid belts bacause I feel so fenced in! I like to have my waist free and because it's very long, ( I'm missing a set of ribs,) I don't find a lot of waisted things that fit me well! I agree with you on the classics, they are what works over and over again and it's fun to tweek them each season with a trend peice or doing a classic in a new color. They last forever so I buy some couture peices. I'm a collector of Robert Clergerie shoes, a French designer but whom can be found at Barnies, Neimans and on Zappos.com. ( Zappos rules the shoe world!)
It's nice to meet someone who loves to dress as I do! I get done dancing each day and I'm sweaty and tired and after a shower, wearing nice clothes give me a lift.
Thanks for your answer!
dancer

#127675 - 09/12/07 10:38 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Orchid,
You sound as if you are sure of yourself and comfortable in your style! The use of sarong skirts at work is very original and reminds me to think of sarongs! It's true, we must dress for our work often and I am in tights a lot of the time because that is what I'm used to. Tights, a T-shirt, and I'm in my work uniform. Sometimes I dance in men's boxers in the summer. I like to change my reality by getting dressed after dancing and I'm not sure why that is, but I do it!
Believe it or not, working at a construction site sounds intesting to me. I love to hear about "real jobs," those unlike my life has been!
I enjoyed your post, thank you,
dancer

#127676 - 09/14/07 03:57 AM Re: What is your style? [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Believe me..a construction site...is a sharp contrast to some other work environments /workplaces where I've been before.

I don't want to be too casual too often where I am. Hence, I've only worn a t-shirt twice in the past 18 months at work. And that was promoting....bike-to-work month.

Otherwise the hard-hatted guys treat me like a little girl which I'm not. I manage a dept.

But then again most of the men (engineers and technicians) who work in primarily management/office at our workplace are not chauvinistic vs. the labourers/trades guys who are doing the real construction stuff outdoors...only 500 ft. away from our building.

#127677 - 09/14/07 06:22 AM Re: What is your style? [Re: orchid]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
For formal occasions, I opt for classic and I purchase when I see one that I fancy even when there is no pending occasion to wear it. I have found myself in a lot of fix in the past shopping for the "right" attire and not finding anything suitable because of fashion trend.

There is'nt much choice at work because we have a dress code in my profession and it is always black/gray/pinstripes suits. I choose trouser suits because I swivel a lot in my chair. Out of work, my fashion sense is often top to bottom boho.

#127678 - 09/14/07 02:57 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: Lola]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Jeannie, you're just a skinny mini! You look great!

What is my style? Hmmm...I'd call it Early American Trash. Okay seriously, I like tailered clothes. My closet used to look like a St. John Boutique! Most of my suits are clean cut.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#127679 - 09/14/07 04:21 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: Dianne]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Jeannine you look like your 21 years old! You sure you're in the right forum here?

Hahaha Dianne, "Early American Trash"..that's funny.
My first priority is feeling comfortable. If my feet ache...my face looks 25 years older. I suppose I have a sporty style...but I can put on the dog when I want to. Hubby calls that the other secret me...it's secret because it's not that often. I love looking feminine...soft fabrics, and soft colours.

#127680 - 09/14/07 07:20 PM Re: What is your style? [Re: Edelweiss]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hey now, Dianne, skinni-mini! I prefer my hubby's nickname for me, Slim.

I'm the end result of that little girl my Mom called,all elbows and kneecaps.

I was thinking about what or rather who, influenced me, as to fashion, in my formative years. As a girl who came of age in an era when tv and film definitely directly influenced fashion, I realize there were a few actresses whose style I incorporated into my own fledgling beginnings.

Kate Hepburn-As a young teen I became a fan of her old films, and was blown away by her screen fashion style. I'll watch Woman of the Year, The Philadelphia Story, and Adam's Rib, just to feast my eyes on Kate's fashion looks. Of course, the fact that she was a skinni-mini as well, endeared her to me.

Audrey Hepburn-Stunning, clean, chic, sexy without being overtly provocative, classy and classic. The nicest compliment I ever received from a stranger, was a couple of years ago, when a young saleswoman in a clothing store approached me and stated, 'You are SO Audrey Hepburn!' At that moment I realized what a lasting effect the Audrey style had actually had on me.

One other actress stands out in my memory, as having had a real impact on me, fashion-wise, as a young teen, Barbara Bain, who appeared in the old Mission Impossible tv series. There she was, an attractive, alluring woman, whose on-screen style was impeccable. Nothing overtly sexy about her style, but my oh my! it whispered sexy in a way that could not be ignored. I'd call her style Sexy-Chic, or Intelligent Sexy. I loved it.

Had to edit this post, and add two more women whose fashion style influenced a young Jeannine:

Jackie Kennedy-Right there, in the classic, chic category.

Lauren Hutton-I yet make certain I have an over-sized, white, men's wear inspired, tailored shirt, in my closet, to be worn with stone washed jeans! One of my all-time favorite casual looks.

Edited by Jeannine (09/14/07 09:17 PM)

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved