The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 104 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118887 - 05/17/07 01:30 PM cardigans, a sign of getting old?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I remember when my MIL was always trying to get me to wear a cardigan when we went out.

I laughed at myself last week while we were traveling. We went to Clemson for my son's graduation so we flew. We went to many restaurants and sat through an indoor graduation. Every time we were heading out, I made sure I had a cardigan or jacket. I never cared about this before. I guess I jsut froze if it was too cold. But now I care. I like to be comfortable.

Are you funny about this at this age too?

Now I'm trying to get my daughter to carry a cardigan. Ha. She wears strapless dressing, sleeveless tops and never carries a cardigan.

#118888 - 05/17/07 03:47 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old?
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Dotsie, I just can't go the cardigan route! I've tried them on, and immediately want to remove them.

I remember wearing them, as a child. I remember seeing older women wearing them, uniform-like. I missed the '50s love affair that teenage girls of the time had with this article of clothing.

In my mind, they are forever linked with 'girly' or 'Frump-like'. Our like or dislike, I think, is a matter, of how we first became acquainted with the cardigan. Those first impressions linger...

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#118889 - 05/17/07 05:07 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: Jeannine]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I love cardigans, and have ever since I was young. I can't remember a time when I didn't drag a cardigan everywhere. Over my lifetime, my Mom gave me cardigans almost every birthday and Christmas (and in-between too!) My closet is still full of those old sweaters - I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to wear some of them again (maybe when I'm 80?) but I can't bear to throw these last remaining "Mom-sweaters" away (they were relatively cheap at the time, but expensive and hard-to-find nowadays!) There's definitely a sentimental attachment to them, remembering how my Mom used to lovingly go out and scour the stores in search of the "perfect cardigan" for me!

LOL! I've accumulated cardigans in every colour of the rainbow: orange (one of my favourite colours to wear, but this orange cardigan is very bright), deep purple, lavender, golden-yellow, rose pink, burgandy, navy blue, khaki green, black, white, beige...as well as a few beautiful multi-colour floral patterns; some are cosy warm, others are skimpy dressy (for those coolish Caribbean nights). Some of them have embroidered flowers on them (my Mom loved buying me those kinds).

I only own a few pairs of shoes, but cardigans? Can never have too many cardigans! (One of my "tricks" for feeding my passion for cardigans is to buy them at second-hand stores, fix & clean them, wear them for a season or two, then donate them back...that way I get to enjoy wearing 'new' cardigans without overflowing my closet with them!)

(Maya Angelou)

#118890 - 05/17/07 11:53 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am with Jeannine. I had a great long cardigan (what was that fuzzy, itchy yarn they were made of?) and wore it all of the time. This is one image I have in my head.

The other image is my grandpa in his button up plaid cardigan. I am not ready to feel that old.

I also feel the same way about patent leather shoes. Too many strange pictures come to my head, I can't even look at them at a shoe store.

Funny, isn't it?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#118891 - 05/18/07 04:38 AM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Last time I wore a cardigan was about 20 years ago. I had 4-5. Think I gave most away to Goodwill.

Cardigans are nice...when they keep their shape/don't pill.

#118892 - 05/18/07 11:38 AM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: orchid]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
For years I wouldn't go near a cardigan sweater.......yes, they seemed like something little old ladies would wear. I always took a jacket along when I went out.....but never a cardigan.
Somewhere in the last couple of years, that changed. I bought several sleeveless and short-sleeved cotton sweater tops that had matching cardigans (twin sets, I guess you call them) and I love them. They're great over jeans or pants and can go from casual to being sorta kinda dressed up. They're comfortable and I have them in several colors.
These are NOT my mother's cardigan sweaters!! They're shorter in length, lighter in weight..........I'm not into the heavy cable knit or longer length cardigans (but then again I'm in Florida and who needs that down here?!?)

#118893 - 05/18/07 02:00 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: Anno]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Anno, oh those shiny patent leather shoes! I shudder just thinking about them! Why, I wonder? I do know, that now when I see a pair, I immediately think, 'cheap' looking. Could that be it?

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#118894 - 05/18/07 02:23 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

but then again I'm in Florida and who needs that down here?!?

That could be part of the attraction of cardigans for me. I was such a skinny kid growing up (still weighed 98 pounds when I turned 35) (but not anymore!), I was always cold.

It's COLD up here most of the year. Hubby likes to keep the house very cool all year round, so I need those sweaters just to survive. Sometimes I have to wear sweatshirts to bed just to keep from shivering all night, even in the summer!

(Maya Angelou)

#118895 - 05/22/07 03:55 PM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've enjoyed reading your replies. I am no fashion plate, but I don't like to look frumpy. I like to think my cardigans are stylish. Like Eagle, they always match and are usually bright colors. I especially wear them in spring.

#118896 - 05/23/07 09:37 AM Re: cardigans, a sign of getting old?
Mountain Ash Offline

We have lovely sweaters shops in Scotland. I do wear cardigans...long almost to my ankles in winter.Rather than a coat while driving.Last time I was in a woollen shop the experienced assistant showed me shorter fashion with button back revers.They sit on my midddle make my lower half look longer.I nmatch the colour with cotton v neck tshirts in summer.
There are some (pensioners woollens) I could not wear made of acryic which make me shudder.Gues the climate dictates a bit and we can get chilly in Scotland.
Mountain ash

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved