The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 57 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117790 - 05/11/07 08:16 PM Anyone Watching Dr. Phil
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
The last two days I have snuck home from my day job, just to watch. And I NEVER watch talk shows. I was intrigued by an advertisement.

This is a terrific, real life example of why it is often difficult to get a man charged with domestic violence.

The minute the husband walked on the stage, I knew he was an incredibly violent man. He didn't even have to open his mouth. Then when he did, I found out how incredibly violent he was, in sooooooo many forms. But there was no, or very little, legal proof that he was violent.

If I had known this years ago, I would have known that my ex was violent. But I had to learn the signs by experience. A very difficult way to learn.

How do we teach the emotional signs to our girls?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#117791 - 05/11/07 10:06 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anno, I did not see the show, but what a great question. I have a 19 year-old daughter and I would love for her to be educated about this topic. I know Dianne and Lynn's books are both great, but I wonder if there are books written by the younger generation about this... Anyone know?

#117792 - 05/12/07 02:46 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anno, abusive men can be very charming one moment, its a part of the trap, and then explosive the next moment.

#117793 - 05/12/07 06:42 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#117794 - 05/12/07 12:42 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Darn, I wish I could have watched it.
That's an interesting point Mustang, about charming and explosive.
Did you learn enything knew from the program, Anno? Please share.

#117795 - 05/12/07 01:34 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Anno,
I don't watch Dr. Phil, but since I work from home, I guess I could. Just never thought about it. Besides, Dotsie is a slave driver and who has the time? What?

By the way, I LOVE your new pic. That is so cute!

#117796 - 05/12/07 04:20 PM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Funny thing is, I can't stand him, but the last two shows were worth me even sitting and watching a talk show.

It was on last Thursday and Friday. Too late to watch.

Ain't that picture great? When I found it, I just knew I HAD to make it my new avatar.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#117798 - 05/13/07 12:37 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Oh, schools don't want to give up recess, phyed, sports and music! They want more of all of that. Most school personnel want kids to love school, and teach what kids really NEED to know.

Unfortunately, normative testing has taken over our world. How many of you knew that NCLB (No Child Left Behind) means that ALL children will perform in the
"80%tile"? That means, mathematically, that 100% of our students are suppose to perform in the top 80% of the world.

I am all for high expectations, but also a dose of realism would be swell. A bell curve is a bell curve because that is how norms are developed. 50% of the world performs higher and 50% of the world performs lower than the average person.

Sorry, this whole thing gets my ire up!

#117799 - 05/13/07 12:44 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Anno]
Anno Offline

Anyway, back to the show.

The husband was very, very controlling. Followed his wife everywhere, tracked her phone calls, read her emails, put a tracking device in her car, etc. It just got worse.

Anyway, at the end of part one, he agreed to go to a treatment center, and at the beginning of part two, a month later, he hadn't changed much, and had "run away" from the treatment center on Phil's camera! All, so he could stalk his wife once again.

Did I learn anything new? No, but, what I liked was that it was so obvious that he talked and walked and looked normal, but was oh, so way off center and very violent. I think, if someone had never been through any sort of abuse, would have recognized him as a very frightening man.

#117800 - 05/13/07 12:59 AM Re: Anyone Watching Dr. Phil [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That is downright scary. Good grief. So what happened at the end of the show? Was he arrested for anything? Put back in the treatment center? Castrated? Okay, that last one I threw in just as a suggestion.....what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved