The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117021 - 05/01/07 01:56 PM Now this is rich!!!!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I called my sister in France this morning and she told me that my parents finally bought my book. Let's see...it's been out seven years. Anyway, she said our mom went on a 30 minute rant and tirade about my book. Said she didn't believe I was ever abused and if I was it was because I asked for it and caused it. And you wonder why I stay away from them.

Anyhoo, to show you the way their minds work, they cannot for the life of them, understand why nobody in the family has come against me and refused to have anything to do with me because of the book. Said that if one person in the family had boycotted my son's wedding because of the book, they would have left everything to them in their will. BTW, that's a hint for my sister to spread the word in the family in case she finds a taker.

My dad had just returned from the store and mom handed the phone to him and after a very, very brief conversation, he hung up on her. This is her punishment for not hating me. They did the same thing to my aunt when she wouldn't join them in their "hate Dianne campaign" a few years ago.

Mom doesn't understand why my kids still have anything to do with me and my sister questioned her about why she would want my kids to hate me.

Ironically, my book put me in touch with four of my cousins who contacted me after reading it and all of them either suffered the same abuse (it runs in the family) or told me they remembered my dad abusing me.

If it wasn't so sick, I'd find this funny. Well, a large part of me finds it very funny because I have had a life time of this childish behavior. My sister and I just shake our heads and then, laugh.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117022 - 05/01/07 03:54 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: Dianne]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Oh,the things we can't control...

Thank God for your sister, Dianne. I guess if it took them seven years to read your book, that tells all.

#117023 - 05/01/07 04:41 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: chickadee]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Oh Dianne, Your parents waited 7 years before they read your book!?!! Were they afraid of reading the truth! That is the only logical explanation.

Thank God for your good sense of humor...That is what will carry you away and above all that kind of grief. Still, it must hurt. My heart goes out to you.

#117024 - 05/01/07 05:05 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
As does mine. But my heart also sings because you have grown past the abuse handed you by so many people. You are a rock not only unto yourself, Dianne, but to many women out there looking for answers.

I would be happy to be your Momma. Proud. If you ever go up for adoption, see me first, k? You are so loved!

#117026 - 05/01/07 05:59 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Can you afford my shoe habit?

My sister was amazed that I wasn't upset. I laughed. It actually gave me a giddy feeling for some reason. Like, so...what's new? Been there and wasn't expecting anything different from them.

My mom stopped short of demanding that my sister disown me. She almost said the words but didn't. My sister would have told her to take a hike on that one.

Their only concern when they heard I had written a book was what I might say about them and this was before they read it so they knew in the back of their mind what it was about.

The hub's humor kicked in again. He said he was going to call them and tell them he left me so they will leave everything to him in their will. Then, he called them a really foul name under his breath. He cracks me up.

Truly--honestly--I'm not hurt by this. Had it not been for therapy I could still care and be trapped in their dysfunction. God has been very good to me.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117027 - 05/01/07 07:29 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: Dianne]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Dianne,
you've got to let me in on your secret. I've got a similar family situation but for VERY different reasons although it all comes down to the same result.
Although I try very hard not to be bothered by it, I still get upset every now and then. I'd much rather be giddy and laugh it off!

Edited by TVC15 (05/01/07 07:30 PM)

#117028 - 05/01/07 08:06 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: TVC15]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Someone once told me, "You're mother is a piece of work...she's not your piece of work." I can't take responsibility for another's actions and stopped trying a long time ago.

It reminds me of when I was married to the abuser. When we were in a crowd, I always watched myself so he wouldn't go off. In truth, if he did, he would have looked like an idiot, not me, but it took me a long time to understand that. People are going to do what they want to do as long as it works for them. I just step back and watch.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117029 - 05/01/07 09:05 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Girls, I have spent time with this woman and you would never, in a million year!, guess that she was raised by mean spirited people such as this.

How did you become such a gem? Is your sister great too?

Whatever the reason, you have come out on top. I am glad that you have figured out that you don't need their approval.

#117030 - 05/01/07 09:48 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: Anno]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
yea thats what i was reading and i am always intreting in finding out from people who came throw the mill...what helped you or what attitude or epipianie made you rise above this..?

#117031 - 05/02/07 01:00 PM Re: Now this is rich!!!!! [Re: celtic_flame]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Anno, what a wonderful, kind thing to say. I really appreciate it.

I feel I learned "how not to be" by watching the examples set before me all my life. A psychic told me I chose them as parents because I had a mission to fulfill and they were what helped me by seeing the pain they caused in me and others. How could I help a battered woman who had a family like mine (very common in abused women) unless I truly understood what it was like and how to overcome.

Honestly, my therapist was the one who finally made me realize that they weren't mind readers, didn't know my every thought, didn't control the outcome of my life and had pushed negative thoughts about me because of their own problems.

When you stop hoping that toxic people will change is when the road to healing begins. It's the hope that keeps you hurt and frustrated and makes you keep trying to get their approval. Understanding that it will never, ever happen stops a lot of useless effort. I mean, my parents are in their 80's. What's the chance of them suddenly becoming different? Plus, they are responsible for their behavior, not me.

My mom always seemed to compete with me. I think she was jealous if I experienced anything good in my life. She is so wrapped up in her negative energy she doesn't have any left over to help others, even her daughters.

My sister is a very good person but because of the conflict in our home, she is very afraid of any confrontation. She runs from it. That caused a lot of grief in her first marriage because he ran over her constantly before leaving her. Now, she has a great husband. But, she told me she has to watch herself so she doesn't react like mom. We both fight to not be like her.

I think I've written a chapter here. Sorry.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved