The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#171319 - 01/15/09 12:28 AM Lay-offs and the economy
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
My husband was laid off from his job today. We are so devastated this evening. We've become a small part of this horrible economy. Frank is shocked. His job seemed so secure...there was no warning. Several people left his company with him. What now? All plans have changed. You never think it will happen to YOU. We watch the nightly news every night and see the numbers but never believed it would hit home so close. How scary!

#171321 - 01/15/09 12:34 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
First of all LadyJane, my heart goes out to you. It is so devastating, you are so right. I was laid off three years ago. It is personal, I don't give a rip what anyone says. It hurts.

But then there is the financial side of things as well. I so hope that Frank can find something else that he wants and needs.

Tell him, after the dust settles some, to maybe think of doing something he has always wanted to do. That's what I did. I took a crack at writing, and while I don't dine out every night, I do love my life. So there is hope, my friends!

In the meantime, I'm holding you both close to my heart with prayers going up to the big guy for HIS help!

#171325 - 01/15/09 12:39 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Lady Jane, I can sort of understand your situation. My husband came home last night and told me that they are cutting 40% off the budget for his team. I thought his next statement would be that he was laid off and my heart was in my stomach. But he said he'll know more in a week or so, so we are hoping for the best. We always thought his job was very secure, and now we know it's not.

Hang in there TOGETHER. This can make you stronger, and as JJ said, see if there's something else he would like to do. My husband was laid off once before about 20 years ago, and it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened.

I'll be thinking of you both, please take care.
K

#171328 - 01/15/09 02:02 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
MustangGal
Unregistered

LadyJane, I'm sorry and please let us know how we may help. Whether through support, to listen, offer suggestions, provide info, together we can all endure.

I'm worried, too. The laws are changing, thus changing the way we practice law, and with less cases, I may be out of a job soon, too.

#171330 - 01/15/09 02:06 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for those of you in this situation. I guess none of us is immune and nobody's job is secure. I will be keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers and hoping something good will come out of this.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#171338 - 01/15/09 03:05 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
LJ, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's really heartbreaking when this happens at our age, at any age really. I'm sure you're surround him with love because I'm sure he needs it right now. YOu are both in my thoughts and prayers.

DD, sounds like a similar situation to my sons. Last year, his company was listed in Baltimore magazine as either the number one or two place to work in Baltimore. They got in to financial trouble and are in the process of a buy out. They laid off 400 people and another 400 will be laid off shortly. He was in the first batch. It's one thing to be laid off at 23. Quite another to be laid off at our age. God help us all.

#171365 - 01/15/09 09:40 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Dotsie]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
It's settling in a bit this morning. There are three other women whom I work with whose husbands were laid off from jobs in the past month. The thing is Frank is 59 years old and can't hide that fact. There's always the worry that finding a job for that reason will be difficult. I know it shouldn't be but discrimination does happen! He's a hard worker and will not give in easily. He's willing to do most anything. Last night it all came in waves to him, as grief does. He loved his job and was close to a lot of people there. He received several calls of support during last evening. He also cried. It was heartbreaking. We're not alone and will survive. Thank you all for words of wisdom and support. I do know that good things can come from events like this but it's just so frightening when you're hanging on even with good jobs. I've got to get through a work day today and then will be off tomorrow. I think we need the time together then. Thank you!

#171373 - 01/15/09 11:12 AM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: ladyjane]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Lady Jane, I'm so sorry to read this. You're right. Age discrimination is big,…everywhere! But I did see a show on TV. They hire only older people because they say they are more dependable and their work experience is so very valuable. Hopefully your Frank will find a new company that thinks that way as well.
Oh boy...where will all this lead to. And where the heck have all the billions gone to save those money monger banks? Something is so wrong here! German banks are getting now billions to keep them alive as well. Instead, the government should support small businesses and keep jobs intact for the average "Joe"...jeez...So much is wrong with this picture!!!

#171396 - 01/15/09 02:45 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Edelweiss3]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
LadyJane, you probably know I was laid off last Wednesday. I'm still spinning out from it. I'm 61 and have some disabilities. Who wants me? I'll find out soon. My company sent out a press release last year that 4,000 employees would be let go. We knew it was coming, but still a shock.

Last night a friend told me her 75-year old mother was axed after 19 years on the job. She's a nurse and worked at a nursing home. They called her in on her day off at 9AM to let her go. Hasn't gotten out of bed yet. I so get it.

Ageism is alive and well. I can't hide my age either.

Edited by Saundra (01/15/09 02:46 PM)
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#171470 - 01/15/09 07:22 PM Re: Lay-offs and the economy [Re: Saundra]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
LJ, I just realized I dreamt about you last night. You were calling your husband over to snuggle with him and comfort him. Isn't that wild? I rarely dream, but was at the OR with my daughter until 6:30 this a.m., came home and went to bed so it was a weird sleeping pattern for me. Maybe that's why. Plus you were on my mind.

Daughter is fine. We thought it was another kidney stone, but it was a urinary tract infections which was a much better diagnosis. So yahoo.

EW, I totally hear ya about the small businesses. I tsickens me that we/they get no help. Fortunately, Ross had great insurance for the fire, but had he not, who would have helped him? Still in temporary office waiting for his office to be renovated.

Saundra, I'm sure you're still spinning. I hope you got a severance package of some sort. If you need encouragement to get back out there, feel free to come here. I'll gladly give you some boosts and thoughts about what next.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved