The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#144092 - 03/05/08 04:51 PM Overcoming preconceived notions
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
After absence, computers in transit, another intercontinental move, living out of suitcases for months....I have another quandry and questions for our ladies.

We have worked overseas for years but it now looks like that has come to an end and we may be returning to the US in short order. Jobs are on the top of the agenda.

In the Seattle area where we will land, I found a particular job ad that is right up my alley, that I am absolutely qualified and experienced for, that suits me perfectly.

I have spent my entire life working men's jobs. Not that I have anything to prove, I just fail to thrive in cubicles, in offices. I have 30 years of work experience all out of the usual realm of offices. The plant nursery business; I've driven buses and taxis and trucks, I spent more than 10 years as a Teamster hustling boxes for UPS and finally left at the age of 50 after more than 2 years in my late forties loading and unloading tractor trailers. I quit UPS and followed my husband overseas and became a groundskeeper in Russia. To the best of my knowledge I am one of the few women, and the only American woman, who has ever been a professional gardener/groundskeeper in Russia. And very successfully I might add. It is work that I love.

So I fired off an email to this company in Seattle with my qualifications as a gardener/groundskeeper and recieved a return email in less than an hour with an invitation to meet them and their phone number. Hooray! I'm happy!

But here's the rub: Even though I've got the all the right stuff; the experience, drive, the qualifications, the fact of the matter is--that I'm not what they're expecting......

.....a 5' 4" 125 lb. woman over 50. No, this is not what they would be expecting to see.

How do I overcome the prejudices against my gender, size, and age? I can mow and prune and till with the best of them, but any landscaper looking for a high end gardener will guffaw when he sees me. How do I combat these preconceived ideas of what a capable gardener/groundskeeper should be?

I have no idea how to sell myself to people who will be expecting a hale and hearty youthful cherub. I can say this,and tell them that, and haul out a boatload of supporting experience and documentation, but this will not convince the average male landscape contractor that a dimunitive aging female is just the thing they are looking for....

So I ask you all, how do I sell myself? How do I successfully combat the prejudices which I am sure to meet? How do I prove with words that I am what I say I am? How do I convince the men who run this industry to take me seriously? How do I do this?

All input will be gratefully appreciated.

#144093 - 03/05/08 05:35 PM Re: Overcoming preconceived notions [Re: mrs_madness]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Could it be that you are holding onto a preconceived notion that they will have a preconceived notion?
Once they get to know you, and if they challenge your credentials or capabilities, suggest they ask you to do anything, which they might think you cannot do. Prove yourself on the spot... or, ask them to give you a 30-90 day probation, dare them to let you prove yourself.
I truly think that shell has been cracked... most recently, look at the Presidential primaries. Get to know Oregon and its growing seasons, dos and don'ts, etc. so you can be ready for all questions.
Good luck ... I understand Oregon is a beautiful piece of the USA (one of my destinations before I die beautiful).

#144094 - 03/05/08 08:25 PM Re: Overcoming preconceived notions [Re: mrs_madness]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
May I offer an opinion...since I currently work at a large construction site (bridge, highways with 6 different worksites)..I've been here for past few years.

And since we are close to Seattle..(in fact, we may be visiting there in Sept.)...

Where I am, it is a hard-driving project where we are under the gun to meet deadlines, otherwise it will cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Women that I have met plus women who work in the firms that are subcontracted by our engineering project (for traffic control, etc.), seem to share several common characteristics in outdoor, physical, or engineering (where brains is required):

*can-do attitude. The best performing women at our construction site do NOT sit back. They take action and don't waste time, dithering, balking and will do what is necessary to get a job done.

*pragmatic

Yes, I've seen some grey-haired women at our worksite. Mrs. madness, I don't know what the construction industry and similar work is like in the Northwest U.S., but in British Columbia right now, there is an enormous drive and demand for engineering, technical and labourers. Hey, yea our project is hiring a landscape firm to lay down thousands of trees, grasses all around our transportation system...

You might even do better salary wise, to consider construction. Some of the bigger projects since they need to complete in a short time (a few years), need experienced/seasoned people. Can't waste alot of time training employees.

As long as you know that you have an excellent health record...for your line of work.

If you haven't lived on the Pacific coast, you will love our foliage and milder weather (summers are wonderful)...despite the rain which you wouldn't be doing much landscaping anyway.

#144095 - 03/05/08 09:16 PM Re: Overcoming preconceived notions [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What wonderful news Mrs. Madness! You are coming back “HOME”! Hip hip horaaaaaaaaay! You must be so happy and excited!

I am so impressed with gims and Orchid’s responses. Don’t have much to add, just wanted to congratulate you on your “home coming.” Best of luck in finding a new job. Jeez, Orchid has some fantastic suggestions for you!

#144096 - 03/05/08 10:27 PM Re: Overcoming preconceived notions [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mrs. Madness, Once many many years ago, I also wanted a job I knew I could do and do well but I was newly widowed, young and had little work experience. I really wanted this job, so I made an appointment for an interview. The man offering the job was older and very nice but he wasn't convinced I could handle the job left vacant by a person retiring who had held the position for a decade. Finally when I felt I may be the subject of his politnes and nothing more, I said: Mr. So & So, heres the deal, I will do this job for one week absolutely free, I want to prove to you that I can do it and am willing to work for a week with no out of pocket expense to you. I then said its a win-win for you and if at the end of the week, you aren't convinced I am the person for this job, then I will thank you for the opportunity and say goodbye. DEAL???
He just looked at me, shook his head, smiled and said, deal!! I worked for that man and his newspaper for six years before moving away. I was the top money making salesperson too...

Just be confident, show them you've got what it takes, and that "good things come in small packages."
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Also do you have any photos of the grounds you've kept in the past to show them?
Oops, almost forgot, welcome home!!!

Edited by chatty lady (03/05/08 10:32 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#144097 - 03/07/08 01:54 AM Re: Overcoming preconceived notions [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
((((((Mrs Madness))))))
Welcome home! I agree with the previous ideas. Show pics of your past jobs. If you could succeed as in groundskeeper in Russia despite the prejudices there, it should be a warm breeze (literally) here.

Poet and essayist

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved