The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 206 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117656 - 05/09/07 12:06 AM tough decision
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I'm in a work dilemma. I've had what might be a good opportunity almost fall in my lap. I don't know what to do. A couple of months ago, I was asked to relocate to another building to help the new boss out until his new assistant started. It meant trying to do both jobs at the same time and it was a wild week, but I did it for a week and a half. The new person came, lasted 6 weeks and poof, she's gone and I'm up there again. I've been there a week and a half again, but this will be longer. My dilemma: I'm thinking of going for the job. It's a high position, but a demanding one. I'm not sure that I want to take a chance at this time in my life or invite more stress. The big thing is that I'm worried about the hours. I like my lifestyle. On the other hand, I have been doing well on this job. We seem to work well together. He seems to like the work I'm doing. I think my writing skills have been a big plus. I'm not good at making decisions and I'm afraid of the what ifs? What if it doesn't work out and then my job is gone and then what do I do? What if I can't keep up this pace? How do I leave the people I work for now. (Yes, I have one person I report to, but work for several people.) I'm always being pulled in every direction. It would mean more money and I wouldn't do it unless it's a lot more (and it could be) but money isn't the whole issue. A fortune teller told me just before I was doing this job before that it would not be temporary for me. I laughed. I'm not laughing now. Part of me feels like maybe I should go for it. Then there's the other part of me What do you think?

#117657 - 05/09/07 01:03 AM Re: tough decision [Re: Louisa]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Is it work you enjoy? Have you been around the people long enough to find out if you like working with them? Can you look at the job realistically regarding hours and time involved?

You sound very qualified, or they wouldn't have asked you back to help out. I think if you like it, and you can handle the hours, you ought to go for it.

Kathy

#117658 - 05/09/07 02:25 AM Re: tough decision [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Louisa Offline

I've been there for 8 years. I know everyone and am getting to know the new boss. Don't really know him yet though, but I've enjoyed working there. I work full time now and don't want to end up working on a salaried job and working more hours. When you're salaried, they don't care how late you have to stay to get things done. Right now I punch and they don't expect you to stay late or want you to. (Except for right now. I can work over and get the overtime.) I'm not looking for overtime, but it will come in handy in FL at the end of the month. It's the hours. I have to find out more about that first.

#117659 - 05/09/07 03:32 AM Re: tough decision [Re: Louisa]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Louisa, the only advice I can give is to listen to your intuition. When my boss gave his notice, he asked if I wanted the job and he would put in a good word for me. I had no hesitation in saying 'no' as I knew I didn't want the extra responsibility. I 'retired' over a year ago and only took this job because it's part time with no responsibility, no big decisions but decent pay. I'm living very frugally now on my pension and my part time pay, but don't miss the 'big' money at all. You have to do what you feel is right for you. It could be that the hours might be longer in the beginning, but once you know the routine and what's expected, you will be able to tweak how many hours you work. Is there any possibility that some of the work could be done from home? If I could do my job from home, I would. It has also been my experience that if I didn't take a chance, I would always wonder 'what if' I had taken it. If I took the chance, and it didn't work out, at least I took that chance. I have decided that taking a chance and having it not work out is better than not taking it and kicking myself later. I usually listen to my gut instincts, and they're always right. Things seem to end up the way they're supposed to, even if I took the long way around to get there.

Don't know if this helps, but good luck with your decision.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#117660 - 05/09/07 05:32 AM Re: tough decision [Re: Louisa]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
How many more years do you plan to work before retirement?

If the job clearly has broader range of responsibilities that require higher level of skills, then abit more money might be useful to inquire...only IF you plan to be there for several years. Instead of a few months. Otherwise you might be shooting yourself in the foot abit.

If you deliver what is required on the job within work time, then your new boss knows you maybe motivated to work well so that you don't put yourself in an overtime situation..because you prefer not to do it.

Even managers who clearly cannot offer overtime pay to their employees and generally don't expect the employee to work overtime, it is helpful in the odd occasion for rush service/work. Such as occurring once a month or less.

As for a job with extra stress, I don't know how to respond to this ... except if it's just occasional stress rather than constant. ..isn't that ok?

I can't imagine a job with no stress... I've never had a job like that.. The higher you are on the organizational chain OR the greater range of task responsibilities that you have to perform which have serious reprecussions/risk to your organization if you weren't around or if you did something incorrectly, then there will be some stress embedded in the job.

I recall as a new university graduate in my lst professional job but in an assistant capacity to a highly experienced professional who was my manager, I saw her cry briefly once.

She cried openly in front of me...it was stress of dealing some political issues with senior management, the board and her department budget. I realized if I wanted professional jobs that intellectually challenged me, put my department in the limelight, greater responsibilities, then I must be prepared for the stress also.

Looking back, I'm so glad she had the humility to break down just a little in front of green graduate and confide to me. It was something I never forgot. It was a teaching moment from her (a much older boomer woman by the way, she is close to 68). I'm 48.

If you take the job Louisa, just love your non-work destressors for your own peace of mind. I love my cycling homeward after work for this.

#117661 - 05/09/07 09:51 AM Re: tough decision [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Louisa, I can understand your dilemma. If I were 10 or 15 years younger I wouldn't hesitate in expanding my business. But at this point in my life, I am looking for more free time and less stress.

What you consider a good quality of life should help you decide. If you think the challenge and excitement of doing something new could give you that adrenaline kick that may possibly take years off you…then do it. If you think it could wear you down and make you yearn for your regular hours and free time, then don't do it.

I just got an extremely interesting offer to sell a huge hotel complex in Austria, and am standing before a similar decision. If I get an exclusive on it, then I will take on the responsibility…if not then I will turn it down. I don't have the nerves anymore to take on a job, and not have the guarantee that I have the exclusive sales rights. Maybe you could make your decision according to set times or not. And do you know why the other lady left?

Hope this has been helpful.

#117662 - 05/09/07 02:28 PM Re: tough decision [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
The word "salary" caught my eye. They can work you to death for the same or less money than you're making now.

Have you put both jobs side by side on paper and compared them? That always works for me.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#117663 - 05/09/07 09:50 PM Re: tough decision [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
You are thinking about taking a new position and I am considering retiring to a new life. It isn't easy to make these life altering decisions.

Good luck, Louisa. I am sure you will find the answer that is right just for you.

#117664 - 05/10/07 12:36 AM Re: tough decision [Re: Anno]
Louisa Offline

Thanks, Anno. You're right. And, I love your new picture.

No, Dianne, but I was thinking of doing that.

Yonuh, I may have felt that way a little when I passed this up 2 months ago. (Kicking myself) On the other hand, I think of my lifestyle and don't want that to suffer. I love spending time with Katie and my vacations and just playing. I am always complaining about not having enough time to do things I want to do.

Orchid, I had planned on retiring in two years at 62, but it's not possible now with the cost of healthcare. I am covering both of us now. I can't retire that soon. My only thing would be if I could cut down to 30 hours and still get insurance, but then all my money would go for that and it would be difficult to find that job. So now I'm thinking if I have to work another 5 years, why not do it in a position where I will make a lot more money? Like dianne says, they will work you to death at any rate.

Thanks for your input. I need to think this over carefully. I do like some of the job a lot. My writing skills are coming in handy. Most people would not get to try a job out first the way I am with this one.

I hope God gives me the strength to make the right decision. I'm terrible at making decisions. But He knows that.

#117665 - 05/17/07 02:05 PM Re: tough decision [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Louisa, I think I know you well enough to know that your free time with your fmaily is a huge part of what makes you tick. If you are already stressed about not having enough time, make sure you have a true picture of how many more hours you will need to work in this new position.

Two questions:

Why are you afraid of taking the new job?

Do you like the job you had before helping out with this new position?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved