The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 206 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8812 - 12/12/05 06:33 AM How would you convey this at an interview
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
My last job I walked out on. The situation was such that I could no longer "handle" working for a boss who's daughter was a witch and would not take direction from me, even though I helped build the business.

Plus, my nerves were shot and I had a LARGE anxiety attack, left and never went back. I did try to get unemployment but was declined. (DH feels I said too much....oh well.)

Anyway, they are first on my resume, but I doubt he'd give me a good referral, even though the experiences I received there was wonderful!

What to do? Anyone ever have this type of situation and dealt with it?

Thanks!

#8813 - 12/12/05 07:00 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Di,
I'm no expert on things like this, and I don't play one on TV, but I would think honesty would be the best policy. If I gained an interview somewhere, I think I would bring it up first thing and say something like, "Oh, I might want to point something out to you because I know how busy you are and I don't want to waste any of your time. The job listing you see first on the resume was a great job, and the experience was invaluable! However, I did have some difficulties with one of the employees under me, the owner's daughter. We just couldn't seem to ever work these differences out, so I chose to leave. I doubt very seriously if they would give me a good reference, given the circumstances and all. But I always believe in being honest and upfront. I just wanted to make sure you knew the facts.

I would show NO emotion when telling this, and I would be factual, and might even add, "so, if you have any questions regarding this particular timeframe of employment, or the job itself, please feel free to ask.

At least that is what I would do. If you were in the right, and I feel like you were, then I would meet this head on in an interview. Get it over with, then if they DO call, and the "other side" gets emotional and says something negative, he/she might just remember how professionally YOU handled it. Besides that, you've been honest, upfront, and open. If you got hired and something came up later you could say, "I told you all about that!"

JJ

#8814 - 12/12/05 07:21 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
Di Offline

That is lovely, JJ! thank you. I'm so not good with things like this and I AM very emotional. So, I appreciate your pointing that out.

#8815 - 12/12/05 08:51 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Great advice JJ...I definitely agree with JJ's advice Di...prospective employers understand that people have left their previous jobs for a reason...afterall...if it was still working out for you you wouldn't be looking for another job...I would mention the dates you worked in that job and then offer several names of people who could give you personal reccomendations...JJ...I'm thinking you can give Dr. Phil a run for his money with your sage advice.. [Wink]

#8816 - 12/12/05 08:57 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
Di Offline

Ok,thanks Nancy. I can give a former co-worker's number. GREAT advice!

#8817 - 12/12/05 10:44 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
As a previous employment agency owner, I would advise you to go into the interview prepared to focus on the positive and avoid the negative.

The interview is not a confessonal and the interviewer doesn't really want to know about your previous job problems. You should bring up the previous problems only if asked and be prepared to answer with something brief and inane such as "I felt the company was not right for me." or "The position was not compatible with my long range goals" then move on to the more positive aspects of your background.

More tips:
Never ever lie, but do try to focus on your positive experiences.

Never smoke or drink in an interview.

Never discuss child care, marital, or relationship problems.

If you are married, put it on your resume . If you are never married, divorced, or widowed, put either nothing at all or "unmarried." The others have negative connotations for a job.

Don't bring up the subject of pay or benefits until after the employer offers you the job.

I have a brochure somewhere and notes from my lectures, but I have no idea where they are.

Good luck.
smile

[ December 12, 2005, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#8818 - 12/12/05 04:12 PM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
Di Offline

Thank you,smile.

Question: how about references or if they ask "can we contact this employer?"

Also, I never considered adding "married". What section of the resume is best?

#8819 - 12/12/05 06:10 PM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Also Di,

Saying less is more! Keep your answers REALLY brief. If they want more info, they'll ask for it.

I wrote resumes for years and never put marital status or outside interests on the resume.

There are some great books out there like "the damn good resume book" that helped me write great resumes.

Your resume is a living testiment to your work life. fill it with accomplishments not job obituaries!

My two cents,
danita

#8820 - 12/13/05 03:10 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is all great advise, I, too, shall use it in the future!

Which brings me to my question. Three years ago I moved from SC to TX, game my employer (law firm) 30 days notice and upon that notice they asked me to work my remaining time in another office over 45 miles away (I would have to commute w/ no compensation for the extra time nor mileage). I said no, thank you, see ya later. When I later used them as a reference, my boss said I did great work but was let go b/c I would not work in another location.

I subsequently divorced and moved back to SC, and worked at a law firm until I could no longer take the abusiveness of the paralegal. I simply walked out, and they too say I as fired!

So, I have two (2) Xs on my resume. Presently employed and have been so for 17 mths at new company (another law firm) -- but would like to move and apply for civil service (I have veterans preference) eventually (after having at least 3 years tenure here). I know how jerky some attorneys are, many live outside the law. Thus, I ask, how can I combat the above scenario?

Since many applications as if they (the prospective employer) may contact your present employer, how do you apply for a job while presently employed w/out notifying or wanting the present employer knowing? (I ask b/c I know many will let individuals go if they are "hunting")

Di, I too used a former co-worker as my reference w/ regard to my above scenario. It seems to have worked well. Yet, they are no longer with those companies.

#8821 - 12/13/05 05:14 AM Re: How would you convey this at an interview
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Some people I interviewed while in D.C. would just tell me they were working and didn't want their present employer to know they were changing jobs in case they didn't get this one. I would call their present job and say I was verifying the info given me for credit, such as time on the job and then I'd ask is their longevity with this company a good bet...This way you know if they work there and they are valued. This way I got what I needed without risking their present position.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved