The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 191 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8350 - 03/01/04 06:53 PM work/raising family
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just finished reading "Bitch In The House". It's an anthology written by women who share their stories about sex, work, family, being it all and doing it all.

I'd say the majority of the stories are written by women who've had it! They're sick of working full time, raising their kids, keeping house, and taking care of thier husbands too. It's a sad commentary on what has happened to our culture.

After reading a couple of the stories I found communication to be the biggest barrier. Not all the women were honest with their spouses. They seemed to have chosen the martyr approach to life. "No, I'll do it, it's okay"

Several of the women reflected upon their mother's lives and didn't want a repeat. Their moms either stayed home, so they were choosing a career path, or their moms worked and did it all. They didn't want that either, but they have found history repeating itself because everything falls on women.

What do women want? I think that would make an awesome book, but I think many of us want differing things. Thoughts?

#8352 - 03/02/04 06:22 AM Re: work/raising family
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You all know I'm shy, right Ms Maggie? But I just gotta speak out here. I know what I want.

I want to stay single, or marry Prince Charming without the horse. Oh and he's loaded. The Prince, not the horse. The money isn't important to me, it's the freedom it allows that I want.

I want to finish my book and know that everyone loves it and laughs out loud when they read it and then they go, "Oh boy, can I EVER relate to that!"

I want my friends that are troubled to find peace, and for the ones that are not troubled, I want them to share their love with the others.

I want this new job to go away, but another, more fulfilling one to take it's place, with the same or greater salary, of course.

I want science to suddenly find a cure for my Daddy's fatal disease and my Mother to never have to experience cancer again, or the Divine Ms. Meredith either.

I want DreamerK to win the lottery, and to also have her wallpaper peel off like a banana.

I want Smiles to write the musical of a lifetime, and be known over the world.

I want you all to have love, happiness and joy in yours lives and ALWAYS be my friend.

But mostly, I want my enemies to live long, healthy lives so that....

WHEN I AM FAMOUS, I CAN GO....NANA BOO BOO...

WHAT?

#8353 - 03/02/04 07:28 AM Re: work/raising family
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
JJ, this is the good fairy speaking (No not Elton John--though he might have more power (a.k.a. CASH)

Anyway, as your personal good fairy, sprinkle, sprinkle fairy dust .

All your wishes are hereby granted.

Wheee. Let's GO!!

smile

#8354 - 03/02/04 08:02 AM Re: work/raising family
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ms Fairy Person,
I want to thank you from the bottom of my horse. Now...can we go over this ONE MORE TIME? There seems to have been a slighttttt mistake, k?

No horse...a rich man

Capice?

geeish...I get the K-mart special on fairies...

#8355 - 03/02/04 08:06 AM Re: work/raising family
smilinize Offline

Okay jj, but I'm telling you this horse was nice. Well, nice wasn't the right word, but just think how blessed you will be for saving him from the glue factory
You now how I feel about horses!

smile

#8356 - 03/02/04 08:13 AM Re: work/raising family
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh my bleeding heart...okay fine. I'll keep the horse...but ya think you could wave that wand again and this time...

M A N

R I C H

T W O L E G S

This is strike one...

#8357 - 03/02/04 05:25 PM Re: work/raising family
smilinize Offline

JJ.

I'm waving! I'm waving! Practically causing a tsunami here. Wave, wave, wave.

Maybe this wand is defective.

smile

#8358 - 03/04/04 02:36 AM Re: work/raising family
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
JJ and Smile-you girls are crazy!

Dotsie-I have worked full time my entire adult life and had a family. It is hard work. Time for yourself just does not exist unless it is at the expense of another.

I work for beneits-health, dental vision etc. I ahve to. I also need the income to put my son in parochial school. Not expensive school but not public education which is secondary to the egos in the school system.

Would love to walk in the morning, work a bit, help son with homework and cook good dinners and have friends that you can take the time to talk too. What a blessed life.

I am not complaining-I have achieved alot careerr wise but it is a job not a life. Sometimes this is where the bitterness comes in. Women do. That is the begining and end. We are the center of the cog to keep the family going. Some of us work outside the home and that takes away from some of our greatest strengths.

Lynn

#8359 - 03/04/04 03:51 AM Re: work/raising family
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I'm with Lynn. I wish I could freelance so maybe I could cut back my hours or be more flexible with my hours. But I don't think I have the right personality (and confidence) to be a good freelancer. I'd be happy if I could just stop having anxiety attacks because I think I'm forgetting to do something or be somewhere (which I often do). [Eek!] Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning from the demands of work, home, family, horses and all the writing I want to do. I don't feel like I'm under the gun because my husband doesn't do enough. It's just that everything seems to move so fast, there's so much change, and so much you have to learn to keep current on your job skills, so much information to keep straight. It makes my head spin. (I need a spinning head graemlin to go here)

#8360 - 03/04/04 03:51 AM Re: work/raising family
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Lynn I know what you mean...sometimes I am like a robot going through the motions of life and aching inside not to spend all day with my daughter...trying to find some me time, some writing time just makes me feel guilty for not doing what I "should" be doing...work just intrudes on my life too much. But our Prime Minister is introducing changes to help cope with the ageing population so that we will never retire from paid work! (He won't be getting MY vote.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved