The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195747 - 12/12/09 06:12 PM Blogging for Biz
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Several members do have a blog for business/work-related purposes. Do you spend much time administering/posting stuff?

Well, I finally managed to get the blog for my partner's biz up and running. We can't wait any longer.

Pretty annoying when I was designing this simple blog that it would been faster for learning software features by consulting a book would be faster instead of clicking around and refreshing screens for online help. But most books for most recent edition of blog software won't on the market until early next yr.

Here is ours: http://www.thirdwavecyclingblog.wordpress.com

#195763 - 12/12/09 07:57 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: orchid]
LTWayfaringWords Offline

Loc: Missouri, recently moved from ...
I set up a blog a couple of weeks ago for my book, and it has taken a bit of work but is much easier than a Web site! You asked if we spend much time on administering and posting. I blog Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and in between I work on writing my next post and getting photos ready. There still are a few things I want to figure out before I'll feel the blog is completely set up.

I also put each post and link on my Facebook Page, but I haven't figured out yet how to automatically get it to the FB Page. (I see how I can get it to my personal FB wall, but I'm looking for a way to send it to the FB Page. Any suggestions?)

So in answer to your question, I do spend some time, but I think once all the final details are up and running, I won't spend more than a few hours a week.

I look forward to reading other people's experiences.

#195815 - 12/13/09 03:43 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: LTWayfaringWords]
orchid Offline

We have not gotten ourselves on Facebook yet. His type of business is not something one just pays ie. less than $100.00 for a retail item. It is a consulting service that hinges on the company's expertise, their knowledge as their product. He is already on various international Internet listservs in his area of work. Just keeping on top of the incoming email for him is alot.

Most likely by end of next week, there will be other posts written by the principals of the company. At this time, I've been doing most of the wordsmithing since others are each buried in their work to meet some deadlines. I don't mind this since I love writing (as well as cycling, organizing any type of info.) and need to do some hands-on blogwork related to my work skill set. Not sure how often there will be posts per month since hopefully most of that writing will be done by the principals, but some of it depends on their ideas, certain events happening in the broader world.

I view what I am doing, since it is my partner's biz, as working for a 'client' company. I am voluntarily jumpstarting this process since it's long overdue. With the Olympics coming into our city in Feb. 2010, it will be a rare opportunity for the company principals to write thoughts on how a world event changes traffic patterns, use of public space, people movement ..as it relates to urban planning/design, how people choose transportation options during this event. What the city will be like with less cars (target of 30% less cars) when there will 100,000 additional people/visitors daily in the downtown area.

So yes, you most likely might see the odd photo here and there related to Olympics celebrations/crowds. (We have to make any fireworks night-time photo related to his biz. :))

#195821 - 12/13/09 06:11 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It should be great fun to read the blog while gearing up for and during the Olympics.

I launched a blog a couple months ago and have to admit, I'm not blogging as much as I'd planned. Three times a week is appropriate, while some people blog a couple times a day. Huh? Can you imagine?

If anyone wants a good resource for blogging, The Complete Idiot's Guide is great. If you are using Word Press, there is also a Complete Idiot's Guide for Word Press too that I highly recommend.

#195868 - 12/14/09 06:37 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: Dotsie]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Wow, thanks Dotsie for the recommendations. I think blogging would be less complex for me than a web-site. I do not have time to fiddle with all the complexities of a web-site and if I am just interested in a content based site, blogging should be more practical.

I had a blog a long time ago with Blogger. Is Wordpress better? Anybody know the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Cathi

#195883 - 12/14/09 07:56 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Blogs are easier than Web sites. you should definitely take that route.

I don't know the pros and cons, but several professionals I consulted all recommended Word Press.

#195905 - 12/15/09 01:25 AM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Plus Cathi you can say so much more on a blog without anyone looking over your shoulder or holding you back in any way. My blog is completely FREE too and I say whatever I want to whenever I feel like posting anything. Check it out if time permits. My blog address in in my signature here in BWS.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#195914 - 12/15/09 04:45 AM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: Wisdom&Life]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Wisdom&Life
I do not have time to fiddle with all the complexities of a web-site and if I am just interested in a content based site, blogging should be more practical.

I had a blog a long time ago with Blogger. Is Wordpress better? Anybody know the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Cathi

Based on your natural inclination to write here on BWS, you would enjoy blogging with a purpose. Expressing yourself in written words seems like natural part of your DNA. Correct? You just haven't found enough time/focus to do it on a regular basis. wink smile Your daughter one day would learn another part of you..when she gets time. crazy laugh

Hey folks, imagine when kids learn of what grandma wrote on the Internet! Your legacy to them.

I will be emailing our new blog to some siblings. I got some more neat articles I was planning for the biz blog and chatting with dearie. I had a vertible brainstorm. Some of them abit fun..this should surprise dearie's biz partners, who ae more technically focused. cool My family has never read of my adult writing. I think 1-2 sisters might remember I wrote poetry as a teen and certainly they remember I was a high school yearbook editor. But they don't remember the poems where I won some prizes.

#195920 - 12/15/09 10:11 AM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

Wonder is what is written even here where folks open up is a true version that would tell our children our thoughts..it would tell what we wrote in the full knoweledge that a wider forum exists than those who post can read..

What I write one to one is most certainly more true to my heart.and that differs with whoever the exchange is.
My poetry will tell my folks what I had the impression of whether it is the sunset or situation or memory.
I have several very personal poems where I release feelings hurt and joy and that folder is named as private and the wish for that to be noted..
Reading sources for history studies finding diaries is enlightening and I have several gathered..using them in academic work it has to be dealt with advisidly. In the manner of..." who wrote it... why it was written...in what time/era it was written. factors such as bias measured..
this site will I believe become a valuable archive.
Indeed many who read may well be doing so as part of ongoing gender/cultural study..just hope Dotsie gets credit in bibliographies..

#195936 - 12/15/09 04:29 PM Re: Blogging for Biz [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

orchid, pour it on with your sisters. They need to read your thoughts. You have such great ones!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved