The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#127860 - 09/14/07 04:25 AM Opposite of your job (stereo)type?
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Just learned from a major running magazine, that Cat Cora, the sole female Iron Chef amongst the panethon of Irons Chefs on Tv....jogs regularily. She certainly fights against natural tendencies/temptations in her job as chef!

Do you do personal stuff/activities that are the total opposite/antithesis of your job/profession?

May sound wierd...but I don't read alot anymore..and I'm a librarian. I do digestable reading..magazines,etc. And a novel/book tends to take a long drawn out time, because lack of my own patience to sit for hrs. reading just a book.

And I haven't been motivated to join a book club ...yet. Yet librarians do strongly encourage this...for literacy combined with socializing.

In other areas I do correctly fit in my job type ,is interest in a range of different subject areas, joy of creative /associative memory, learning-on-the-fly, some capacity for technical ability, etc.

How about you?

#127861 - 09/14/07 04:32 PM Re: Opposite of your job (stereo)type? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Asking what a person does professionally is a very American thing to do. I think it's one of the first questions anyone asks.
Here in Germany they wouldn't think of asking you that. They ask about your hobbies, where you travel etc. but not what you do. If they ask that, then they usually get an answer as to where the person works, but not what he does. It took me a long time to get used to that
In a way it makes sense, because I do think what a person is...is not about the work he accomplishes, but what he does in his free time.

Orchid, you amaze me . How do you come up with all these interesting questions?

#127862 - 09/14/07 06:55 PM Re: Opposite of your job (stereo)type? [Re: Edelweiss]
Mountain Ash Offline

I agree Hanelore.What we choose as hobbies or the books we read tell me more than a profession does about a person.Also they often respond better when not "talking shop"
Mountain ash

#127863 - 09/14/07 07:52 PM Re: Opposite of your job (stereo)type? [Re: Edelweiss]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Asking what a person does professionally is a very American thing to do. I think it's one of the first questions anyone asks.
Here in Germany they wouldn't think of asking you that. They ask about your hobbies, where you travel etc. but not what you do. If they ask that, then they usually get an answer as to where the person works, but not what he does. It took me a long time to get used to that
In a way it makes sense, because I do think what a person is...is not about the work he accomplishes, but what he does in his free time.

Orchid, you amaze me . How do you come up with all these interesting questions?

Sign of an overactive brain.

I used to feel guilty for not wanting to join book clubs myself. On the flip side, as a child, I used to read full novels voraciously..about 3-4 books per week. So now is sloth time.

Interesting, about differences between North America and Germany of what people want to know about a person after the introductions. But so right, that in North America, that question of "job" is asked as a "normal" question.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved