The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8553 - 03/15/06 09:00 PM scared to death
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
OK, ladies, I just launched my new web business and I'm scared to death. This project has been in my head through 2 years of development following a couple of years of just sitting in the back of my brain.

I just sent out press releases this week and this morning at 7 AM the top ag reporter in the state called to interview me. He is with the clear chanel network.

I was sleeping when he called and he could tell it so he graciously offered to call later and idiot me said, "Oh, no, this is OK" - UGH! When I really woke up, I started to wonder what all I said to him. The interview will air twice today, at noon and 5.

This is the part of the business that scares me to death. I am a writer by nature - thoughtful and deliberate with my words most of the time. Off the cuff speaking makes my blood go cold.

Dotsie, you and others here have been down this road for a while already. Any helpful hints for me? My site is at www.farmingbytheyard.com.

[ March 15, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#8554 - 03/16/06 03:27 AM Re: scared to death
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Flipper, very clever! I love the website. How did you come up with the idea of faming by the yard?

#8555 - 03/16/06 03:34 AM Re: scared to death
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Nice website, flipper! Your kids look very sweet. What are their ages?

#8556 - 03/16/06 04:02 AM Re: scared to death
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Thanks, ladies!
Starting over, I guess the idea really came out of a desire to work from home. There are so many bogus schemes out there that I got nervous about taking on something that might be a scam. I figured there must be a way to create my own work. I think this particular idea slipped into my mind somewhere in that never-never land before I'm quite awake in the morning. Then I just couldn't get it out of my mind so decided to start researching it. It has morphed from square yard leases to the present virtual farmer registry as I've explored the legal restricitons involving leases, securities, etc. It has been in my head for so long, it is difficult now to shift my brain into the verbal expression of it. So scary!

Jackie, my boys are grown now. The one on the little tractor is my youngest who is now 22. The picture of the three in the wagon also includes my oldest who is now 27 with a wife and daughter, and Missi, my daughter who died at age 13. You've read about her in some of my other posts.

I got another media call this morning. A local TV news director is coming out tomorrow morning to do a story on us. I'm really nervous about this press stuff. I need to concentrate on marketing but this introduction to the community needs to come first and hopefully we'll get some broader coverage from that.

I'm also working on a classroom product for the schools, although they can use the product as is, too.

It is all very exciting and very scary. We hope it will be the survival of our farm. We want our farm to become self-supporting so we can farm without banks. That would be the peace we really need in our lives.

#8557 - 03/16/06 05:36 AM Re: scared to death
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
LOved the site flippero and bet you'll do just fine with it. After all it took quite a bright and inventive mind to come up with this idea. God Bless you and all your efforts.

#8558 - 03/16/06 07:53 AM Re: scared to death
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I loved it too flipper. What a creative thing to do. The whole state and farmers all over the country should thank you for thinking of it.

smile

#8559 - 03/16/06 07:26 PM Re: scared to death
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I posted here yesterday but it never appeared. I've gotten these ideas in the morning, before being fully awake too, and they always have meaning and bring change to my life.

I love your site and I just might make my husband a virtual farmer. I think he'd love it.

#8560 - 03/16/06 10:05 PM Re: scared to death
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Flipperjo,

Well now you've made me cry!!! I went to your site and first thing, saw your pictures and started the boohoo....Not sure whether it was the kids, the pictures of the land, sky, or whether I was so proud of you for having thought up something so promising!!! Or maybe because I wondered if Missi didn't have something to do with those early-morning ideas......... So I went back a second time, and sure enough - bawling again!

I'm saving up - I WANT a part of that farm!!!!!!
(Tho I do think I might have a little snippet of it anyway)...

Have ya' called Ag Day??? Never farmed a lick in my life, but I used to watch that show all the time...

Wow! kinda' like cabbage patch dolls with the certificate and all - and you know the money made with those!!!

And your site is just beautiful....but name all those photos ! Say, who's the photographer??? Fabulous and captures the spirit of ND to perfection, "our front yard" -- makes a person want to get in the car.......I remember that year of the storms, and there's nothing like watching a ND storm come in from miles and miles away...this is the poster state for "on a clear day, you can see for miles and miles" !!

Pride of Dakota products are great products too. Lots are really quaint packaging, and food products are yummy - I've been gone so long now, I'd like to see some of the new ones....

ALL of the very best wishes for this, Flipper....Anything I can do to help from here, I'm yours....I mean that. Just one ringy dingy, and I'm all over it!

Search

#8561 - 03/16/06 10:09 PM Re: scared to death
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
O no, it was "on a clear day, you can see forever!" and that's more like it! Because you can see not only the present beauty before you, but the past engulfs your spirit in ND, and so does the future!

#8562 - 03/17/06 01:53 AM Re: scared to death
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Flipper, what a great idea, and what wonderful pictures. Have you met Thistle on these forums? You need to hook up with her. She has found creative ways to make money on her farm too. You two need to become friends. Her site is www.thistlecovefarm.com

Now about those interveiws: I believe in the power of prayer. I always pray and have others praying for me. Just ask that the words that come from your mouth are a blessing to Him. What you are doing is good and right and just. He will bless it beyond your wildest imagine. Keep believeing in your mission and you will breeze through those interviews.

All this said, be sure you practice and really work out what you want to get across in your interviews. ALWAYS be certain they include your web address in anything they say or write. Say it as many times as you can when sepaking with them.

Remember, it's your business. You dreamed and created it. Don't be nervous. What can they ask you about it that you honestly don't know?

I wouldn't want to be interveiwed for someone's else's site because I wouldn't know everything about it. But I do know everything about mine.

I hope that gives you confidence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved