The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8614 - 02/22/06 07:40 PM Starting a business
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I want to own my own business. I have racked my brains and can't come up with anything I want to do passionately. I would like to own a restaurant but I'm not sure that is a good idea as we may be moving back to Tennessee any time between now and eternity. [Roll Eyes]
I am sick of getting up every day at 4 am and putting in 8 honest hours of work for little pay for someone else.
I am looking for some ideas for new businesses. Any ideas?
chick

#8615 - 02/23/06 08:03 AM Re: Starting a business
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Girl, if you want to talk about long hours it would be in the food industry.

Have a friend who owns one and he had a great chef if that's what you call someone who cooks food for a sports bar/restaurant. Sure enough, business is good and the chef wanted more money and the problem is, they can hold you hostage because the can walk out.

You have to be there all the time if you want the quality that you expect plus, employees can rob you blind.

What do you love to do?

#8616 - 02/22/06 09:02 PM Re: Starting a business
chickadee Offline

Dianne, I love to sell. It is broad I know but I like meeting people who need a product, service etc. and accomodate them. In my lifetime, I have sold everything from junk to jingles. I can do/make anything...you name it and I will take a stab at it. I think that is my problem. I don't feel challenged any more. Been there done it all and need something more.
I need to have a bricks and mortar place to go to every day that houses a product/service. I am at a loss....
When I was younger and had more barriers than you could imagine, I didn't have the funding/backup. Now there is nothing to stop me, but I am stopped...dead stopped.
How can I live my passion....when I don't even know what it is????
Geez, I'll never know what I am supposed to be when I grow up.
Girlfriends, I need your help.
chick
Oh yeah...I love to talk and talk and talk.

[ February 22, 2006, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#8617 - 02/22/06 09:14 PM Re: Starting a business
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Reading a magazine the other day about a lady who loved drinking tea. She had all kinds of keepsake teacups, given by family and friends...she displayed them around her home.
She started throing tea parties for her girlfriends. Who enjoyed iot so much, they encouraged her to open her own tea shop.

She stated she was so stressed by her corporate job that she ended up in the ER with stress related asthma.

Three months later, she opened her tea shop. Where she proudly displays all those teacup sets... how cool.

Dianne's right, it's all about what you love.

First you need to know what you getting into. Create a business plan, and be patient with yourself...you'll be living your dream in no time.

#8618 - 02/22/06 09:24 PM Re: Starting a business
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Chickadee, I worked for a food broker for manyyears. He used to say thtat the restaraunt industry was the hardest and had the highest failure rate. And Dianne's right--if you are wanting to avoid long hours a restaurant is not it.

You said you like to talk. Is there any topics that really 'turn you on', that you have a passion for? Could you move that into a newsletter or develop into a speaking topic. Since you love to talk could you find a way to utilize that element of your personality?

For example: someone who loves gossip becomes a gossip columnist....perhaps not the best example but hopefully you see where I'm going.

#8619 - 02/22/06 09:29 PM Re: Starting a business
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I know a girl who loved makeup and playing "dress up" and doing everybody's hair... she started out working in a salon shampooing hair. She is now one of the most sought after makeup artist in the biz. She lives in Atlanta and visiting her one weekend she said she had just return from a set in Calif. where Elton John as one of the people (among others) who they did the makeup and hair for... She started with a dream.

I know another woman who was in a similar situation as the one cited above. She now owns a biz called The Traveling Tea Lady. She is in Colorado. She is doing a tremendous business, and has just become an "empty-nester" so she has more time than ever to devote to the business. She also has the personality for it. She throws parties for shut-in's, groups of baby boomer women, invalids, girls just wanting an excuse to get together, birthday parties, children's parties, whatever. It is a great business and it all started by her wanting something she loved....turns out it was her love of the teacup and saucers...isn't that cool? She started with a dream.

Chick, if you lived near me we would have a brick and brick building with a biz if you wanted to because I truly believe you could sell snow to the Eskimos...

I have had a great biz idea for over two years, but no backers. Ain't it the way? And it started with a dream.

JJ

#8620 - 02/22/06 09:37 PM Re: Starting a business
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Try this meditation. It really works.

Sit in your favorite room, in a comfortable chair or stretched out on the floor.

Begin to breathe slowly and deeply, relaxing your mind and muscles more with each breath. Breathe from the abdomen, rather than the chest. Do this for several minutes until you basically feel like a lump of very soft matter, blending in with the floor or chair.

Picture you walking along the beach, digging your toes into the warm sand. The weather is perfect, the sun is warming your body. All conditions are perfect in nature and in you.

You see a cave imbedded in the high cliff and enter it. There is a full-length mirror, a large pot of boiling acid and a garment hanging from a hook in the corner.

You turn and look at yourself in the mirror. You see all of your past mistakes, your regrets, your guilt and pain. You see all the negative comments people have made to you. You know what you are supposed to do...you slowly unzip the human packaging and step out of it and throw it into the boiling pot.

You then walk to the garment hanging from a hook and step into it. When you do, it turns pure white and as you look at yourself in the mirror you realize this is the way you’ve always been but allowed outside forces to tarnish and blacken you.

You notice a door and slowly open it. In this room, you will create it anyway you want. It can be white, red, pastels, your choice and what you like best. Also, in this room you will bring in your Higher Power–God, and make him look exactly the way you desire. He can be on a throne or relaxing on a chair.

Kneel before Him and study His face for a while and let Him feel your feelings and emotions. You realize that He has always seen you in the white garment, not the one you boiled.

Take time with this. Really study His face and feel His presence. What are you feeling? I felt great love and warmth but you might feel something different.

Look into his eyes and ask, “What is my purpose? What is it that you would have me to do and what I was born to do? I know you gave me the talents but I need your guidance.

Usually, the first answer that comes into your mind is the right one. Don’t discount it. My answer was to work with battered women and at that time, there was no way I was interested in doing that. But, everything fell into place, doors opened and the next thing I knew, I was working with battered women.

#8621 - 02/22/06 09:48 PM Re: Starting a business
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Beautiful Dianne. I love it. How soothing.

Chick-a-roon-ey....see lengthy email coming your way.

Hugs, JJ

#8622 - 02/22/06 10:08 PM Re: Starting a business
chickadee Offline

JJ, I had a good mind to pack it up and come that way...but I'd miss MOH too much. Maybe God will send us that way soon for both our sakes and yours.

Dianne, I did what you suggested and I came up with...a lifelong (forgotten passion) of a ventriloquist. I did some of it a few years ago on a small scale and absolutely loved it. It is like being onstage as another person...kind of like wearing rose colored glasses in the limelight. [Roll Eyes] I thought about doing it for groups i.e. red hat society. I could do a "boomer theme." Even a menopausal theme for some groups. If the elvis impersonator can do his stuff in the restaurant up the street, maybe I can do my debut there. I wanted to design my own puppet. How did I forget about her? Maybe it should be a He! An old boomer far*, lol. I can't run out of material, that's for sure. Being a boomer is material enough for me. Can we talk? Ha!

Dianne, I am totally impressed with your idea and gratefull that you took the time to give a somewhat lengthy reply explaining how to do this. Thank You.
I have excitement butterflies...how wonderful is that.
Gone to find a dummy that will work for peanuts...Ha ha ha ha ha
chick

#8623 - 02/22/06 10:18 PM Re: Starting a business
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm excited for you and I'm laughing because you have so many talents and this is yet, another one.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your progress reports. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved