The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175669 - 02/24/09 09:04 PM kitchen renovation
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We turned our two car garage into an eat in kitchen about 18 years ago. We've done absolutely nothing to it since so we're beginning a little renovation. We're replacing the counter-tops, stripping wallpaper, having the floors re-done (they're hardwood) and getting new curtains.

I don't now about you, but this all sounds like fun until you start going out to find what you need. It's overwhelming. Way too many counters, paints and fabrics to choose from. At least the floor's easy. All they have to do is come in and sand and finish. No choices there.

Anyone else working on their homes?

#175671 - 02/24/09 09:17 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: Dotsie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yes, still. It's a never-ending project but we are making progress! Living room, bathroom, and bedroom are 99% done. Since we are doing everything ourselves, we are starting to feel we are 'tied' to the house. All our free time is spent working on it!! We have 2 bedrooms and the kitchen left to do. But those are relatively minor compared to what we've done so far. Isn't it fun??
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#175672 - 02/24/09 09:17 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I did. Last summer. I have downsized from 7 bedrooms to 3. Gave the other half of the house to my son and DIL. I get free dinners in return. LOL!!! They have the new kitchen, I have the old. No sanding because they tiled. Their house is ultra-clean and tidy. But, wait until they have children, I say.

The backgarden remained untouched though and we have common use. As do my elderly friends who have taken over its care since my divorce as the ex was the gardener not I. All I need to do is cast my shadow on a plant and it wilts. Never again will I have anything done to my house. I've only had 50 boxes unpacked when London stood still because of snowfall.

Where do you park your cars now that you don't have a garage, Dotsie?

#175679 - 02/24/09 09:56 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: ]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I would LOVE to re-do my kitchen but don't have the $25,000 to do it right now. My kitchen was built in 1973 when the house was built and I don't think it's ever been updated. The walls have that old paneling, and the tile has ancient grout, and the stove is ancient but not a cute antique if you know what I mean.

We recently bought a new dishwasher and refrigerator to save on energy costs, but that's about it.

Do any of you watch HGTV? I LOVE that channel and watch many of their shows.

Have fun Dotsie!

#175683 - 02/24/09 10:42 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Anne327
Lola, it sounds like a beneficial arrangement for you and your family. May I ask how many bathrooms you have? I would consider renting out part of my house, but.....only one bathroom, too small, no privacy. Plus I would not feel safe living with non-family.

Anne, I have two because of my grandchildren and sisters who visit often. They don't like to wait and what's worse, they make it clear that they don't like waiting.

Can you install a secondary entry to your bathroom? Much like they do with joint rooms with shared bathrooms.

#175703 - 02/25/09 01:01 AM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
If I can ever reclaim my home, and decide to remain in Nevada, I have lots of room here, two full private baths, three bedrooms, a very large living room, dining room and a small kitchen and a laundry room. I don't have a garage but have a covered, enclosed carport the length of half the house, enough for two cars easily. Since going back onto the phones besides my Writers Services Business and retirement SS, I no longer need to rent a room or share my home. I would happily though if it were someone (women) I knew and got along with. Its fun having others around to visit and interract with, never boring or lonesome. Plus the emenities in this resort park are awesome.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175722 - 02/25/09 12:35 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
yonuh, so now we know what you and your spouse do together!

Lola, I didn't know you had a child and spouse living so close. I bet you love it. I think there's going to be more of that with this shrinking economy.

We park our car in the driveway. Not the greatest, but it works. WE do a lot of car washing around here - or I should say Ross and the kids do a lot of car washing. I only do it occasionally, like when the sun is shinging and the temperature is perfect!

Anne, my son owns a home and that's how he affords it. He has two people living in the house with him, but they have their own baths. Would it be econoical to put in a small bathroom, then rent part of your home?

DD, do you know what's behind the paneling? Maybe the walls are in great condition and all you'd have to do is paint...

cahtty, I hear ya about the company piece of having soemone live with you. If anything ever happens to Ross, I'd definetly house share.

#175725 - 02/25/09 02:11 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: Dotsie]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dotsie, I doubt there's even drywall behind that paneling. I'm scared to even look! My sister-in-law painted hers and it looks wonderful, but Dan seems to like the "wood" look. I only like it when it's REAL wood, like our ceiling. Our ceiling is made of knotty pine with large beams across - wonderful!

If we ever decide to re-do the kitchen, we want to take down part of a wall and replace all the cabinets. Where the wall is, we would have cabinets and an eating bar. But, someday...someday...

#175732 - 02/25/09 04:38 PM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I actually have paint swabs hanging all over the house. I replaced the knobs on my kitchen cabinets and it helped them, but good Lord, they were installed in the early 70s and reflect the wear on them. I want to eventually paint them, put in a new floor, new dishwasher, and countertops. Or....I'll sand and paint the countertops. I've seen this done and it works pretty good. Saves a ton of money, too.

I want to paint my cabinets two different colors, too but I may chicken out on that. You know, paint the top ones green, and the bottom ones antique red. Who knows...I may just opt to put vending machines in.

#175796 - 02/26/09 01:41 AM Re: kitchen renovation [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I had some horrible really old, dark paneling D.D. in one of my homes and wasn't sure either what was behind it so we painted the paneling an antique white and it totally chahged the look of the room, it looked fabulous, and I never stopped getting compliments on the way it looked.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved