The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110089 - 03/05/07 04:50 PM Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over
Laurel Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
We are giving our home a much needed up date and face lift.

Boy is it a mess. Sheet rock dust everywhere. I'm living out of boxes and tubs.

We're remodeling our master bathroom and the hall linen cabinets too.

Closer to spring we will be getting new windows. It'll be like having a new home when it's all done, but right now it's a challenge.

Laurel

#110090 - 03/05/07 09:43 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: Laurel]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
A few years back, we had our 2nd floor made into a master bedroom with a bathroom and new closets. The only thing that had ever been done upstairs was the wood floors.

What a mess! I so know what you are going through. Focus on the future - how great it will look soon. It might help you get through the dust . . cough, hack, cough . . . and mess.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#110091 - 03/06/07 02:39 AM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: Anno]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Laurel, I know what you're going through. We have been remodeling for 2+ years - it seems like forever. First, we built a 2-bedroom guesthouse. Now we're working on the 'big house.' The laundry room is now inside the house; next we're adding a master bedroom suite. Then the whole rest of the house gets remodeled. What is now our bedroom will become the office; what is now the office will become a guest bedroom. Last, we'll tackle the living-room and finally get the popcorn off the ceiling. We're pulling up all the wall-to-wall carpet and will replace with either painted concrete or saltillo tile. I want it finished already!! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#110093 - 03/06/07 12:34 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Laurel, I pity you. I can't stand living with that kind of mess. We turned our two car garage into an eat in kitchen. It's the best thing we've ever done, but I recall living in dust for months. I always flet like I had to blow my nose.

Yonuh, I hope you're taking lots of before and after photos. When do you plan on being finished?

Laurel, focus on the future. You'll be so glad when it's over. I recall getting new windows. It's so weird when they had all the windows out on one floor. I felt so naked. It's amazing how quickly they can pop them in and seal them up. It made a trememdous difference in our heating bills.
Anno, I love yoru idea. I bet you love it.

#110094 - 03/08/07 05:33 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over
Laurel Offline

Geesh, Yonuh, I'd be wandering around lost trying to remember what room is what.

I feel like I have dirt floors. The sheet rock man is finally through. Now we have to paint and wallpaper the ceiling while the cabinet man builds the cabinets.

Yeah, I did say wallpaper the ceiling. We wanted the tin ceiling look and I found embossed wallpaper that has that look. It's a lot cheaper and we're going to paint it white anyway so I figured we'd try it.

Hopefully gravity doesn't work against us too much.

Laurel

#110095 - 03/10/07 06:19 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: Laurel]
Laurel Offline

Have any of you used that embossed wallpaper on the ceiling? I had this bright idea to use that for a tin ceiling look. Were probably going to paint it white. I've seen it painted with metallic paint and it looks pretty, but I was afraid it might make the room look dark. Plus, we're probably going to sell our house and not everyone is into copper ceilings.

Laurel

#110096 - 03/10/07 06:28 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: Laurel]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Laurel, that's the clever way to think...if you know you'll be selling, then it's best not to be to daring with your interior decorating. It's crazy, but people do refuse to buy a house because of the way a ceiling or floor is done.

#110097 - 03/11/07 03:53 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: Edelweiss]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Laurel,wallpaper on the ceiling and gravity is a good question. I wonder how long it would take to remove it. I would think the paste would adhere stronger than normal wallpaper paste. Anyone buying would probably look at having to remove it.

Remember wall murals? Anyone do that anymore? They still sell them at Target online.

chick

#110098 - 03/11/07 10:14 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: chickadee]
Pam R. Offline

Oh Laurel...You're scaring me! We are in the process of picking out new fixtures to have ALL our 3 bathrooms remodeled. Of course they will do one at a time, but I am dreading the complete gutting and sheetrock dust all over the place. The contractor keeps telling us not to worry, that there will be plastic taped everywhere. But I know better. We did this 25 years ago in another house, and it was only 1 bathroom. It was one flight up and I remember the closed kitchen cabinets had dust all over the dishes DOWNSTAIRS!! We really need to do this, our baths are very dated and I know it will be beautiful when all is said and done. (Oh...and we will be kinda poor too!) We keep saying this is our investment and we must keep up with it. Our work begins on March 19th...so much for a lovely Easter dinner at home.

#110099 - 03/15/07 01:23 PM Re: Heart of My Home Getting a Make Over [Re: chickadee]
Laurel Offline

Chick,
It's just regular prepasted wallpaper with a small pattern. I don't think it is too overpowering and we put a base coat of paint on the ceiling to make it easier to remove if someone wants to. We've decided not to paint it. It's already white and I didn't realized until I read the instructions that I don't have to paint it. That's one less thing I have to do.

I've been painting the walls. I put a base coat of cream colored paint and am now going over it with a taupe glaze to give it a parchment look. Sort of old world. It's still light so hopefully it will appeal to people.

It's alot of work but it's already looking much better. I had flowered victorian wallpaper in there before so this will update it.

We had that drop down flourescent lighting in the kitchen and I just hated it. That was the biggest challenge. Tearing all of that out and rerouting the wiring. It looks much bigger in there now.

Laurel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved