The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 84 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160513 - 09/22/08 12:12 AM Illustrators?
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
How does one go about finding an illustrator for a children's book?

#160528 - 09/22/08 01:12 AM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
One could look in their PM because someone (me) just sent you the name of a fantastic woman illustrator that I trust with my life. She is my cousin too and a wonderful illustrator, has some website you can look at.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160541 - 09/22/08 06:21 AM Re: Illustrators? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Have you written a children's book Dee? laugh I personally don't care for those modern illustrations in children books. And neither did my granddaughter. She would flip through those. But the pictures that were realistic, colourful and even contained some little surprises she would stare and stare forever at.

I would love to illustrate a children's book.
If you want to, you can try me.
If you aren't happy with the results, no hard feelings...and no fee. hee hee hee

#160557 - 09/22/08 12:40 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dee Offline

You both are very sweet...yes, my son, Ray, seems to think I have a story in me about him when he was little...most recently, he's given me some ideas and encouragement and I'm wondering where to start and how these things get off the ground. Successfully selling a children's book is probably very difficult and low...but, who knows? I need to sit down and start writing...and see where it leads me.

Chatty...Edelweiss...you're the best.

Hugs

#160561 - 09/22/08 01:29 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Dee]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Dee, I have a friend who has been writing and submitting children's books for the past year or so. She finally has an agent, but no acceptance yet.

The agent told her not to have illustrations done; that the publisher prefers to use/find their own illustrators. That seemed strange to me, because the illustrations are such a huge part of the story.

When I wrote Rick and June, I went online and found my illustrator. It can be very expensive to hire someone, especially for a children's book that has so many illustrations.

Go to www.guru.com and search for illustrators; there are links to their profiles and their art samples. You probably have an idea in your head of why style you like.

Good luck!!

#160566 - 09/22/08 04:01 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dee Offline

Dancing Dolphin...thanks so much for that information...I hope your friend has a lot of luck. I understand the chances of truly being published are practically impossible. I'm glad you were successful with Rick and June...

Thanks girlfriend!!!

Hugs

#160569 - 09/22/08 04:52 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Dee]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Hi Dee

Another place to check for illustrators is elance.com...they, too, have portfolios you can look through to check style and "feel". I know there have been mixed reviews about using people through this medium...and I'm assuming it depends on choice, expectation, and clarity of communication.

Are you planning to publish the book through a publisher or publish it yourself or, possibly, create an e-book that is downloadable? The answers to those questions also determine who is a great fit for what you have in mind...

If you decide you want to create an e-Book, let me know as I have some experience in creating PDF files (the most common format I know of for a full publication).

I think it is awesome that you're looking into doing this...the world needs your voice!

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#160571 - 09/22/08 04:59 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Mama Red]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The world needs your voice! I agree. I've read soem of your entries for contests and Our Voices.

If you're interested, there's a teleseminar listed on the NABBW members only page that shares different publishing options and what to consider when making the decision. I interviewed Sheri' McConnell, Founder of the National Association of Women Writers. She did a great job.

#160620 - 09/22/08 10:53 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dee just tell Linda you are a good friend of mine and her prices won't be able to be beat, and her work is exceptional...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160621 - 09/22/08 11:15 PM Re: Illustrators? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I am overwhelmed with the outreach of support...my goodness I am speechless (and Larry will tell you that's darn near impossible... smile

Mamared...thank you for your offer...you must have joined since I've been away...I don't recognize your name...welcome and I can tell you already fit like a glove. At the moment I'm not sure how I'm going to publish it...I guess in my heart I'd like to be able to publish it and feel it in my hand but then again online books are the way now? I'm so in a place that I know nothing about. You're so sweet to think the world needs my voice...thank you, dear heart.

Dotsie...I'm still not a member yet...we're saving for a college graduation in May for my older son, Ray who lives in Kansas, and that involves plane tickets, etc., and then a wedding in the fall for my son, John, so we're hanging tight to every penny we can...not sure when I'll be able to join NABBW...Does one have to be a member to join in the teleseminar?

Chatty...I have heard from your cousin, Linda, and she sent me a link...however, every time I try to open it my computer freezes up...it's so weird. But, I did hear from her and thank you for that contact.

Also, I'd like to extend Kudo's to Edelweiss...she's reached out to me as well...my heart is over flowing from all the expressions of wanting to help me succeed. I can't say enough in words to express my gratitude to you all.

Just know I'm very appreciative to you all and once things settle down here and I'm able to begin writing maybe I can get this dream on its way. Wow...now that would be something.

Hugs to you all

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved