The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163947 - 10/28/08 05:41 PM Gifts that don't cost money?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What are some gift ideas that don't cost money, or much money?

I'm starting to htink about cutting back this Christmas and wondered if any of you have given coupons like we did whne we were kids. We'd give Mom and Dad a coupon book with things like Free car wash, clean the kitchen, do the dishes, etc.

Have any good ideas we could use for girlfriends?

Something like, I'll pick you up one snowy day and we'll go to a park and walk and catch up. IS that treat enough?

Or, I'll keep your kids or grands so you can have time to yourself?

#163951 - 10/28/08 05:55 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What about making a calendar with pictures from their youth on each page? Or their grandchildren...or their pet? They're so easy to do!

#163965 - 10/28/08 07:07 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: jawjaw]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dotsie and JJ what good ideas. We've done the coupon books several times and they were appreciated.

I thought of doing calendars with pictures on. I think they are just the best thing.
www.tidedancer.com

#163971 - 10/28/08 07:33 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dotsie I love the idea of doing something nice for someone you care about, and both your ideas were super. One year I wrapped Christmas presents for my friends, most hate wrapping and I have a real nack for it. Especially the guys, they hate wrapping gifts. Now the stores charge too much to do it when you buy something.

I love making crocheted items, like Christmas tree skirts for under the tree.

I've baked Christmas cookies for friends, or nutty log rolls.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163991 - 10/29/08 04:30 AM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
This isn't a no cost, but you could make each of them a Christmas ornament...

#164005 - 10/29/08 01:27 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Great idea Gims...I've been saving my burned out light bulbs to make Santas this year. I thought the grandkids and I could do it together. Sort of...I dread the mess, but they'll have a ball.

Also, if you're handy with a crochet hook or knitting needle, (like Chatty!) you could make ornaments for their tree. One year my sister made mom 50 something ornaments for her tree. They were all homemade patterns and they were cross-stitched. She did have to buy the small circled frames, but they were very inexpensive and what a gift! You could make 10 of them in one night. And you could make a "theme" of some sort.

One year a friend of mine gave me this big, beautiful box. It was lined with the most beautiful paper. I still have it. Inside were so many different items that she had noticed I use all the time. Headbands, ponds cream, sunglasses (my eyes are real sensitive and I am constantly losing extra pairs), lotion, specialty soaps, candles, my favorite magazine (Cottage Living), a journal, pens, and tons of other stuff. Even some Oreos. What a thoughtful gift and it was obviously personal. Now this cost money, but she had a box for all of her friends...and all year long she would buy something here or there, and put it in the box....maybe next year?

#164019 - 10/29/08 02:58 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: jawjaw]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I like the idea of giving coupons for chores, which could also include laundry, yard work (mowing, cleaning gutters or cleaning windows for those who can't, edging or weeding), an errand or two, or something unexpected like buying inexpensive pansies and planting in someone's yard as a holiday pick me up.

#164022 - 10/29/08 06:49 PM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: ]
Songbird08 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I enjoy crafts and love to make gifts. A beautifully decorated bath towel, a baby's burping pad, crocheted potholders, "fridgies" or magnets of different sorts, picture frames and floral arrangements, even pencil holders... it was so much fun!

The idea of a coupon book is a thoughtful gift, Dotsie. Especially, with all the beautiful papers and accessories available today, personalizing a coupon book should be easy and so much fun!

A gift basket with different necessities would be a good idea, if you buy things over a period of time too, (like JJ's friend).

Oh, and many people love to get baked goodies, so I've tried that too! A homemade bread or cookies with the recipe attached is also a welcome gift.

A set of homemade "all occasion" greeting cards or notes is unexpensive and can be personalized easily.

A Cd with a slide show of your favorite times shared-for a friend or family member is inexpensive and will be treasured!

A homemade cookbook is something family members might appreciate: Collect recipes from each family member and add a few comments and pictures. This idea can also be incorporated in a calendar.

Another idea for a family member would be a personalized journal book, where each family member posts a note and signs for each other. This is something that becomes a keepsake down the road.

You can even personalize one book for each household to have on their coffee table. This can be used for each guest to sign and jot down some thoughts when they visit. It's fun to read the comments and occasions. Plus it's inexpensive and easy to personalize in many ways.
http://inkspirationsbyrhodi.blogspot.com

#164273 - 11/01/08 11:44 AM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: Songbird08]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I like the idea of home made baked goods. We did that when the kids were little, but have gotten away from it in recent years. It's such a nice gift because it's hard to make time for baking in the rat race world of ours.

#164275 - 11/01/08 11:46 AM Re: Gifts that don't cost money? [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A few years ago, Dotsie, I did those jars with layers of cookie dough mixes. They were a hit! You can look them up.

Plus, I decorated the jar lids using buttons and monograms for each family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved