The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 209 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#98890 - 12/10/06 11:51 PM ATM Robbers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My DIL sent me an email and said it came to her company from the Metropolitan Police Department. If you are ever accosted at the ATM machine or grabbed and taken to one and forced to get take out money, don't argue or fuss just go and insert your card BUT instead of your correct pin number put it in backwards.

Example: 1234 is the correct number so you enter 4321 and the bank will give you the money at the same time the police are alerted and sent to the scene to apprehend the robber, and possibly save your life..

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#98891 - 12/11/06 02:35 AM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: chatty lady]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I never heard of that Chatty! What a great tip. Thanks, hopefully I'll never need to use it, but I'm glad to have that tidbit tucked away for possible future reference.

(Maya Angelou)

#98892 - 12/11/06 06:46 AM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: Eagle Heart]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks, Chatty, as one just never knows when
something like that will happen.
Cindy

#98893 - 12/11/06 08:54 AM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: diamond50]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
That's a good thing to know, Chatty. I wish and hope they would have a similar thing here.

#98894 - 12/11/06 12:21 PM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Is this true all over the states? Elsewhere?

#98895 - 12/11/06 03:57 PM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: Anno]
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
sorry folks, this is another one of those "not quite true" emails. Read below from the Urban Legends website:

"False, for now. The technology exists which would allow ATM users to contact police in an emergency by punching in their PIN (personal identification number) in reverse, but as of this writing it has not yet been implemented anywhere in the United States.

Lawmakers in the states of Kansas and Illinois introduced legislation calling for the institution of reverse-PIN emergency notification systems (also known under the brand name SafetyPIN) in 2004, but the Kansas bill stalled in committee and the Illinois bill was watered down at the behest of the banking industry, making the adoption of the technology purely voluntary -- which it already was.

According to a story published in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last year, bankers are opposed to the reverse-PIN system because of safety concerns. They worry that ATM users might hesitate or fumble while trying to enter their PINs backwards under duress, possibly increasing the chances of violence. The banking industry is in favor of finding a means to protect ATM customers, a member of the American Bankers Association said, but question whether the reverse-PIN solution is the right one."

I would think that if this sort of thing does come into use at some point down the road, that banks would make a point of "advertising" it to their customers on bank statements, etc. along with other info they give you when they issue bank cards.
My Blog: www.ebenezerscribe.blogspot.com

#98896 - 12/12/06 12:04 AM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: Evie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Guess I better inform my DIL so she can tell the cop who spoke to her group at work about it , and face to face no less.

Edited by chatty lady (12/12/06 12:06 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#98897 - 12/12/06 09:50 PM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: chatty lady]
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Hey Chatty--

That email was circulating around quite a bit but I checked snopes.com and discovered it's NOT true. Check it out:

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

Snopes is a wonderful resource for checking to see if what we hear is actually true or not.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
Purchase your copy of “Hope for the Holidays” at http://www.talk2bev.com/holiday.htm

“I’m not a writer because I wrote a book. I wrote a book because I was inspired by God.”

#98898 - 12/12/06 09:57 PM Re: ATM Robbers [Re: bamgibbs]
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Well, I guess if I had read ALL of the posts, I would've discovered someone else already said it wasn't true.

Sorry!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved