The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 88 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88009 - 09/10/06 01:24 PM Started your "You Know What?"
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dare I say it? Have you started your Christmas Shopping yet?

Anybody got any good tips on saving money for Christmas gifts this year?

One thing I started doing last year was giving my friends things in my house they had always admired. I use to collect antiques and so I use to have some interesting things. Last year I decided to give a few things to some of my friends who are hard to buy for, yet had always said, "If you ever get rid of that, I want it!"

I'm thinking of doing the same thing this year as I need to declutter this house!

Have you started shopping? Got any tips? Got Tinsel?

JJ

#88010 - 09/10/06 01:41 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ha!!! I DID start my shopping - I got my mom some jigsaw puzzles. But that's about it so far. We are really going to take the gift thing down a notch this year; we spent so much money last year, and now no one even remembers most of the presents they got!

JJ, what is it about you? When I was on vacation last week and visited the gift shops in Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas, I kept seeing Elvis and Oreo items. I kept thinking, wow, JJ would love that - I should get it for her.

Then I realized if I started sending you trinkets, you might think I was kissing up to you and wanting to be part of your royal court. So I didn't buy anything, but you WERE on my mind everytime I saw an Elvis item.

Kathy

#88011 - 09/10/06 01:54 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ahhh...go ahead and admit it, you want to be part of the royal court. I mean, after all, you're already a princess, am I right?

I was wondering if you all were back from vacation. I hope you had a great time!

By the way, jigsaw puzzles are my other passion. I love those thangs. I DO NOT like the ones that are 3-D. I just like the "theme" ones you can work, glue, then frame. I solve the world's problems while working a jigsaw puzzle. Your Mom and I would make great pals!

JJ

#88012 - 09/10/06 02:02 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: jawjaw]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I kind of, sort of started, got a couple gift certificates for my kids. It's still in the 80's here so I'm not really into the whole Christmas shopping thing yet. My friend gave me a better idea though. She said she's not starting her shopping until the week before. She figures that would be the best way to NOT over spend this year!

#88013 - 09/10/06 07:03 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: TVC15]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I almost hate to admit it, but I started in June while we were in China. Found some great items for the families.
Also, we found a great buy on a professional ice cream maker, Dennis's sisters passion is ice cream.
The best part about starting early is putting everything in hiding and rediscovering all those treasures.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#88014 - 09/10/06 10:44 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hey isn't it amazing that we think of our Boomer sisters when out and about and we see something like Elvis or Oreo goodies and we think immediately of the person here who would love them. I do that all the time, I have seen some stuff that I was sure Queen JJ would love and it gave me such "joy" to imagine her face when she opened what I'd sent. I've done the same thing for a few others as well and many have done the exact same thing for me. The surprises were just wonderful and so much appreciated. Sometimes I can't afford to send something I find so I send the picture of it to JJ or whoever and they can order it for themselves if its something they like and can afford. And YES, I am a member of the Royal Court. I am the Sceptor/Throne Polisher and Chef/Feeder for the moats aligators. Yuk!
Hummm, well, maybe bigger and better gifts are needed here, you think?????

Edited by chatty lady (09/10/06 10:45 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#88015 - 09/10/06 11:56 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'll take chocolate, if anyone is thinking of me...

What do the rest of you want??

#88016 - 09/11/06 08:34 AM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I just started by going over the toy section at Costco today.
Some things are suitable for me, like the elaborate bead set LOL!!

By the way, if you have not seen this yet here is an awesome site
for online jigsaw puzzle fun. You can pick your theme, the look of
your puzzle pieces and the difficulty level and more.
And it's free : )

http://www.jigzone.com/

Have fun!! Cindy

#88017 - 09/11/06 09:39 AM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: diamond50]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Gosh! I still have birthdays to buy presents for! One thing I do however is shop for Christmas cards and wrappers (and Christmas bags & sacks to put them) in January. I also buy my bottles of wine to give away from that time as one gets good buys on "after seasons" sale. Good thing I am teetotal or I'd have opened and enjoyed them in the run up to Christmas.

#88018 - 09/11/06 04:54 PM Re: Started your "You Know What?" [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Funny you should ask. I just began Saturday when I was at the women's retreat. They had the best vendors. I like buy gifts from small businesses and try very hard to do so while Christmas shopping. The big stores get enough business as it is. Anyway, I got two really neat scarves for my young adult nieces who are very mod, a cool set of gardening tools covered with what looks like flowery contact paper (but I know that's not what it is) for a dear friend who is a woman of the earth, socks of the week for a grand-niece, and a few other little things. I love shopping for others and I especially like it when I can find the perfect gift.

Good topic. Let's keep it up so we can get soem good ideas going here.

What do you buy the man/woman who has everything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved