The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77358 - 09/23/05 08:22 PM Mattresses
Sunrise Offline

Loc: Northern California
Does anyone have any advice about purchasing a mattress? I started shopping for a new one recently, and they have really changed since we got the last one, 10+ years ago! The prices take your breath away. Any favorite brands, styles, foam vs memory foam, etc.

#77359 - 09/23/05 09:36 PM Re: Mattresses
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We bought a Simmons Beautyrest a few years ago...the "Bowling Ball" mattress. Hubby tosses and turns all night and would sometimes practically bounce me out of bed. That doesn't happen with the new mattress...I hardly feel him moving at all anymore. But after just a couple of years, I'm already starting to notice the springs under my hips (and I'm not overweight).

You can also check out this site for some other reviews on just about any mattress out there: This is where I go to do brand comparisons on any major purchases: http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Home_Furnishings-Mattresses-All

#77360 - 09/23/05 09:47 PM Re: Mattresses
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I love my king size Tempurpedic! It cost about $2300., though. The only way we could afford was to delay payment for 4 months and by then we had sold one house and had equity from it while renting another.

#77361 - 09/23/05 10:20 PM Re: Mattresses
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Well, I figure you only buy a mattress ever so often.... go in and lay down on each & every one.
Plop on em, punch em, lay on your side, back, stomache, make hubby lay down (to see if you have enough room). Give it the total workout. [Eek!]
By the time you go to buy another matress....they won't even remember you.
Or, at least I hope not. [Roll Eyes]

Serta pillowtop worked the best for me.

Brenda

Love covers over all wrongs.
Proverbs 10:12

#77362 - 09/24/05 06:40 PM Re: Mattresses
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
So ironical to see this post today.
Last night I slept on our new king size mattress for the first time. It is a Simmons Beautyrest Decator Vista Visco Super Pillow Top. (Paid $1300.00)

I have problems with my lower back and always wake with pain but Guess what? No back ache this morning! I slept like a rock!

D is not a small man (I'm talking stature ladies) has an extreme case of Restless Leg Syndrome and gets up alot in the middle of the night to tinkle (I know TMI, TMI) and every time he moved his legs (about every 30 seconds!) or bounded back into bed, it felt like a small earthquake on our old mattress. I did not feel any tremors at all last night.
Alot, and I mean ALOT, of research went into buying this mattress. D researches to death before he buys anything! (Not always a bad thing) I swear we have laid on every mattress in this small town and some of them more than once. Finally after two months of shopping in the stores and on the internet we found the perfect mattress for us at a price that my frugal husband could tolerate.

Brenda you are absolutely right about giving a mattress a "total work out" before you buy because there is no returning a mattress once it is delivered.

Just a side note...I think the number one lesson they teach mattress sales people is "tell your customer when they appear to be close to making a decision "My wife and I have this exact mattress and we love it!" I swear we heard this from every sales person we encountered. [Roll Eyes]

Sweet Dreams!

#77363 - 09/24/05 10:00 PM Re: Mattresses
yepthatsme2 Offline

Bookie, glad you found "the mattress".
Makes a huge difference, when you find the right one.

Know this is off topic, but you mentioned your husband has the Restless Leg Syndrome.
Seems as tho my son is having symptoms of restless leg, has your husband found anything that helps? Treatments, chiropractor, anything?

Josh, (my son) had nerve damage from carrying survey equipment over his shoulder.
His back no longer hurts...but I tend to think the on-going problems with his legs just might be related.

Brenda

Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
Jude 2

#77364 - 09/25/05 02:21 AM Re: Mattresses
Sunrise Offline

Loc: Northern California
Great to get some ideas on mattress shopping! I have already heard the same line from a salesperson... this is the mattress that we have....

I have also been told, when I buy my next mattress, this is the one I will buy.

Tomorrow we plan to go to a larger mattress store, and will spend a lot more time testing them out.

#77365 - 09/25/05 02:21 AM Re: Mattresses
Bookie Offline

Brenda
Yes a friend of ours gave us a product to try called "A to B Calm". It is a freeze dried instant calcium and magnesium. Ingredients are Calcium gluconate, magnesium carbonate and vinegar. One teaspoon contains 181 mg Calcium and 35 mg Magnesium. Doesn't say about vinegar.

D takes it before going going to bed and on nights he has used it both of us have noticed a difference. I have also tried it because I get cramping in my legs, toes and tops of my feet and it has helped me as well.

I will try to find out where to purchase it. Probably any health food store like GNC would carry it. I do know that it is manufactured in Scottsdale, AZ.

I'll let you know

#77366 - 09/25/05 02:25 AM Re: Mattresses
Bookie Offline

Brenda
Try this site www.herbsmd.com
The have a small can (60 servings) at a very reasonable cost.

#77367 - 09/25/05 02:52 AM Re: Mattresses
yepthatsme2 Offline

Sure hope this will be the relief he needs.
Most nights he catches maybe four to five hours sleep.

We have the Vitamin Store and GNC here in town...think I"ll check there first.

Thanks so much for sharing.

[Smile]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved