The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 201 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82803 - 07/15/06 08:05 PM Speaking Tips
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
All,
I just returned from a speaking gig and wanted to share something with you. Consider this a "heads up" and if this helps, great. If not, then no harm done.

I knew in advance I'd have a podium and sound system which was great. However, what they failed to tell me, and I wasn't savvy enough to know, is that they turn on "colored" lights once their speakers begin. This means if you are standing in the wrong spot, commonly referred to as "The Dead Zone," you will NOT be able to see your cards or notes laying/hidden on the podium.

I was fortunate in that I had practice this particular speech enough that I could get through it without having to apologize or stumble around. Plus I ad lib a lot, much to my Mother's dismay! LOL!

I must have done okay because I got another gig out of it, but it could have been a disaster!

But let me tell you, when I looked down and realized that my "cheat sheets" or cards (5x7) were not readable, hazy at best, I sooo wanted to panic. No, I wanted to "pit up" as my boys use to say. But there was no where to go but onward.

Lesson learned. ALL SPEECHES SHOULD BE MEMORIZED AND PRACTICED TO DEATH. Just in case. What if I hadn't? I shudder to think....

The most important lesson I learned FOR ME was that ANY group I speak to deserves the very best I can offer them...so I will practice more often in the future for this reason, if for no other.

Just wanted to share!

JJ

#82804 - 07/15/06 08:39 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: jawjaw]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks for the tip, JJ. I didn't know about that.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#82805 - 07/16/06 02:04 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Girl, you're so good. You can do your speech without looking.

I had a similar experience with lighting when I spoke. I was speaking before over a thousand mothers and daughters. The mothers decorated everything, including the podium! By the grace of God, I went up ahead of time to make sure I would be able to see well enough to read without reading glasses. I realized the podium light wasn't on, plus the fabric they decorated with covered part of the area where I was to sit my speech. I had a gentleman turn the podium light on, but had to work around the fabric, which wasn't easy. It put my speech out of the light. It was very awkward, but I managed. I was glad I figured it all out before I approached the podium unknowingly.

#82806 - 07/16/06 02:59 PM Re: Speaking Tips
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I get some newsletters about speaking, and have some books that have helped...but in every one they say, "Expect the unexpected." I never knew what that meant...till now. Although I'm sure things like that will come along again, at least now I know what to do if this one does.

JJ

#82807 - 07/17/06 01:09 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
JJ, tell me what you spoke about.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#82808 - 07/17/06 02:12 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Dianne]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Also, can you share the websites for the newsletters? I'm interested. Thank you.

#82809 - 07/17/06 02:53 PM Re: Speaking Tips
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

The title of this speech was "Are you Humor-Impaired" and I talked about things in our lives that happen which can make us too serious. I tell how and why we forget to have fun, to lighten up. I give examples of things that happen, tell why being HUMOR BEINGS is important (Mentally, physically, and spiritually), and also give plenty of "how-to's."

#82810 - 07/17/06 03:03 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: jawjaw]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ, that sounds like an awesome speech and so true! I wish I could've been there! I'm always sympathetic when it's evident that a speaker is having a difficult time.

Years ago I ended up in a Christian share group with a woman who was a professional speaker. When I had to give a talk for an Emmaus Walk, she helped me because I had never talked in front of a group. At the time I had no idea I'd be doing it for a living. My experience with her helped me realize I could do it, although I could stand some improvement, I'm sure!

laurapoplin.com

#82811 - 07/17/06 03:16 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Daisygirl]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

One newsletter that I forgot to cite here is Patricia Fripp's. To me, it is the best one on the Internet for tips and learning. Her products are NOT cheap, but you get what you pay for, eh? Her newsletter is free! http://www.fripp.com/newsletter.html

Also, anything by Mel Helitzer is good...

Don't forget our own Happiness Coach, KC Christensen-Lang at www.ToolsForPositiveLiving.com

She's great and if you need your spirits lifted, See KC...she'll oblige you...

JJ

#82812 - 07/17/06 03:26 PM Re: Speaking Tips [Re: Daisygirl]
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Oh, JJ, I broke out in a cold sweat just reading your story! I have to have my notes, or at least I think I do. I guess if I got into a situation like yours, I hope I would have enough preparation done that I could wing it. But I better have plenty of anti-perspirant on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved