The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 122 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218205 - 11/28/12 11:07 PM Fingernails...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Have tried many, many products in an attempt to heal and grow healthy-looking fingernails. The harder I try, the worse they look. Can any of you help me find a solution???? cry

#218207 - 11/29/12 12:18 AM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
jabber, there isn't a whole lot that really works. Taking good vitamins, drinking lots of water, eating healthy, exercise, are the things most likely to work. Try using almond oil, or avocado oil on your cuticles every night. Also, that hoof dressing supposedly works to strengthen nails - I don't know if it does.

The only way I've ever been able to have good-looking nails is to have acrylics. Since I'm prone to ingrown nails, the only way to prevent that on my fingers is to have the acrylic nails. I've already had surgery on 3 toes for ingrown nails and that's not fun! I have another one that I'm going to need surgery on soon. So I don't want that happening on my fingers, too!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218209 - 11/29/12 04:14 AM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: yonuh]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I went with acrylics for years, but the problem I had with them was that they had a tendency to loosen from the nail base -- usually from the bottom of the nail. So I kept a little tube of acrylic glue on hand, to glue the acrylic nail back to being tightly adhered to the natural nail.

Over time, the repeated glueing and peeling of the acrylic nail from my real nail caused my real nails to become even thinner and more fragile.

So I finally had to go "cold turkey" and stop with the acrylics. Over time, my nails grew in stronger again, back to the way they had been. Which is not to say they are strong.

Don't know if this was just a "me and my nails" thing, or if this happens to others. These days I just keep the nails short and unpolished and try to use lots of hand cream on all parts of my hands, including the nails.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218211 - 11/29/12 02:32 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you. yonuh, have never heard of almond or avocado oil. Will try. Anne, I'll try to use more hand cream and see if that helps. Have tried "Luxury Body Products"; "Solar Oil" "Ultra Nail Hardener"; "Sally Hansen's: Maximum Growth; Miracle Cure; Green Tea & Bamboo; and Vita Surge" Used coconut oil, Emu oil, etc., etc. All they do is break and crack over and over again.
But I'm not one to give up!!!

#218212 - 11/29/12 05:22 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I've been reading ingredient labels on my skincare products lately. I've noticed both almond and avocado oil in my Bert's Bees products. Don't know if they have any products specifically for nails. What about Shea Butter? It seems to work for so many other body parts... Bet Di could tell you if she's ever heard of Shea helping fingernails!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218220 - 11/29/12 11:27 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I use Shea's on about everything. These nails are so bad, it isn't helping much. I do have some Bert's Bees lip gloss and have seen huge displays in all the stores around here; so I'll check it out. Thanks!

#218221 - 11/29/12 11:50 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Around this part of the country, the nails/cuticles get pretty bad with our dry climate/desert warfare around here. I've had MANY tell me the Shea has helped them tremendously, especially nailes/cuticles/cracked fingers.

jabber...try this. Get a bowl of hot (not TOO hot)water, melt some shea butter (about a tsp) in it, soak hands until the water gets too cool. Then pat dry. May need to do this more than once...until you see results.

Shea butter is great for ALL of your body!

#218224 - 11/30/12 04:19 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Okay Di, I'll try what you say. You know I use Shea's like there's no tomorrow. These nails are really annoying. mad Thanks for the input!

#218233 - 12/04/12 01:57 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Another idea I have for you, Jabber. Add a drop or two of the Lavender (or Tea Tree oil if you have some) to a small "glob" of Shea Butter. Put directly on the problem areas. Repeat this until you see results.

Each night mush some all over your nails/cuticles. I've seen MANY excellent results around here and we've got a much dryer climate than you all do!

#218235 - 12/04/12 02:39 PM Re: Fingernails...? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

I do, do the things you just suggested and will let you know what happens. The nails on my left hand are the worst for some reason. That thumbnail is split almost in half. And the longest, left finger has its nail broken up into the bed rather severely. I don't give up on things. They'll get better. Thanks for your help, Di. God bless!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved