The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#189534 - 09/08/09 08:02 PM Coming here for help AND hints
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I need a new handbag (purse), have for quite some time. I use mine until they wear out. I'm at that point with the current one (approx. 4 years old).

When I've been out recently, and when I remind myself, I look at what others are carrying. I don't like the horse sized bags. It seems that's what women are carrying. My back is bad enough without adding more weight to the bag I carry - and believe me, if I had a big one, I'd fill 'er up!

How do you choose a handbag? Size? Utility? Color? Brand? Material? Price? Practicality? Flair? All or some of these?

What looks good for a plain jane, a short one, at that? I guess price and practicality are at the top of my list. Nothing out there, anymore, that I've seen.

#189536 - 09/08/09 08:41 PM Re: Coming here for help AND hints [Re: gims]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
What I do is buy something handmade from craft shows. Buying at craft shows is a lifestyle choice for me, and part of my perennial "economic stimuls plan." If you go to the 2nd tier shows, like Sugarloaf rather than the ACC which is beautiful but pricey, , you can find a wide variety

I like relatively small, always a shoulder bag. I actually attempted to go "purseless" for several years, but couldn't find enough interesting clothes with pockets.

#189585 - 09/09/09 02:14 AM Re: Coming here for help AND hints [Re: DJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
gims, one of the young family members is having a purse sale at her home Friday night. Wish you lived here and could go with me.

Have you tried searching different looks online?

#189589 - 09/09/09 04:30 AM Re: Coming here for help AND hints [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
that would be fun, dotsie, even if only to look.
I have looked online, but it's not the same thing as touching and feeling... oh, and sizing

DJ, pardon my ignorance, but what is a 2nd tier show and how do you find out how a show is classified?

#189639 - 09/09/09 11:52 PM Re: Coming here for help AND hints [Re: gims]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm not sure if there's any place where it's actually stated but the American Crafts Council Show is probably numero uno. I don't know if anything else is that prestigious, except maybe the Smithsonian craft show. Both are juried shows -- some people might get in one year but not the next, and the craftspeople come from all over the country to any of the cities where the shows occur (I'm not sure how many cities that it, but it's online). Tickets to ACC are (I think) like $12 or so. We go every year, and it's like visiting an art museum. The crafts are exquisite. And super expensive. I might buy something small, like a wooden spoon, or a vase, or housewares made of pewter, or earrings and my husband likes to get hand-designed silk ties. But for the most part, the prices are very high (hundreds for the clothes, thousands for the furniture).

My friend often used to show her work (etched glass) and when she did, she gave me tickets. An example of something cool I've seen at ACC is clocks -- or should I say time pieces -- made out of highly polished pieces of different kinds of wood, fashioned into sculptural shapes, some maybe 7 or 8 feet tall. Also clothes made out of hand-spun and hand-dyed yarns of incredible textures and colors. There are hundreds of booths at any show of all kinds of crafts.

What going to the ACC show does for me is set a very high bar for how beautiful one's clothes and housewares can actually be. So everything I see anywhere else -- like Target, Macy's etc. --, I compare with the crafts, and generally don't buy very much of anything anywhere. So it actually saves me money in the long run.

Sugarloaf, on the other hand, is affordable. I've bought children's toys, dishes, watch bands, wallets and purses there over the years. Sometimes I don't see anything at all. But these days, my attitude is that I want to spend my money on someone like that, buying directly from a person who's trying to support her or himself and has some kind of artistic vision about it, rather than fill my house with machine-made goods. I once bought a beautiful cup (vertical stripes of shades of green, a unique shape) from a potter who said he thought it was one of the most intimate items one could make -- that there's a real connection between the potter an the person who uses the cup, because you bring it up to your mouth.

I feel like the dishes we have (as well as all my earrings) are all connected to specific individuals, rather than poor overworked teenage girls in a sweat shop somewhere. Though there's a relationship there too, except that the girls in the sweatshop don't get adequately compensated.

you can find ACC and Sugarloaf on line. There are also lots of smaller shows that we chance upon now and then, and more seem to be starting up all the time.

Edited by DJ (09/09/09 11:57 PM)

#189689 - 09/10/09 11:22 PM Re: Coming here for help AND hints [Re: DJ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Here in Vegas along the roads and in parking lots of smaller stores people are setting up all kinds of tables with items for sale. Some you know are desperate from the things they are selling others are probably crafts people enjoy making things but now need the money. There is stuff everywhere and so inexpensive too. It's kind of sad really.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved