The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#184055 - 06/11/09 03:22 AM Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Holy Moly, did this ever make my day. I learned today that my book has been selected as required reading for a sociology course Issues in Domestic Violence at a university in Maryland. I found out that the professor has been teaching since 1969. Imagine how good I felt! Out of all the books she must know of, she chose mine for the course. And the students had to write a "reflection paper" on the book. I had heard some talk of TEARS as required reading over the years, but this is the first time I've had a real knowledge of the choice. There's plenty of research on domestic violence and child abuse, but few stories of recovery. So I am glad that students get a true story that will open lines of communication and... what they learn from TEARS may offer compassion. smile

#184063 - 06/11/09 12:50 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: Princess Lenora]
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
Congratulations!!! This is wonderful. I was interviewed on the radio yesterday, regrading my story (memoir), which hasn't been published yet. A journalist found my site (www.churchabusepoetrytherapy.com), and contacted me for an interview. She is writing about "women, divorce and religion"---What kind of experiences we have had when going through one of the ugliest times in our lives...mine was a nightmare. It will be in a magazine and on a website. I had never heard of "spiritual" abuse until it happened to me.

Again, congratulations........Alice

#184065 - 06/11/09 01:53 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: Alice]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Congratulations to both of you, Princess L and Alice. I truly believe writing is a great release for the writer and a source
of learning for the reader. Love hearing about bad being turned into something good; love hearing about harmful intent spun and used to help others avoid potentially dangerous pitfalls. Prayers and blessings,

#184069 - 06/11/09 02:25 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: jabber]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Holy Moly! You can say that again Princess! What an honor!

How did the interview go, Alice? Were you nervous? Did they ask the right questions? I bet you came off calm and cool. Now me? I'd be sweating buckets and end up short circuiting the microphone.

#184080 - 06/11/09 03:05 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: Edelweiss3]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
VERY impressive, PrincessLenora. I just am curious as to how they chose to use your book. There is a process of going thru books to use as texts.

#184090 - 06/11/09 04:13 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: Di]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thanks for the congratulations. Di, I do not know about the process of choosing required reading. I know that my book is listed on the National Domestic Violence Resource Library, so maybe that was a start? Please educate me as to what the process is. Thank you. Oh, a student sent me her reflection paper. I am so touched by how she was touched by TEARS. She is so young... only 20, yet so wise. I am glad that someone in her twenties is already breaking her silence, so she can carry less pain with her, and bring more joy to herself and relationships.

#184118 - 06/11/09 11:33 PM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at University [Re: Princess Lenora]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Princess, a well deserved tribute to your wisdom and intelligence.

Alice, you know what I think of your book and one day we will see you on Oprah, I'd bet money

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#184123 - 06/12/09 12:09 AM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at Univer [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Thx CL. grin I read the student's reflection paper, and I am amazed at her insight. We are 30 years apart in age, yet some things never change like dysfunctional family dynamics, and the trials tribulations and traumas that everyone has to experience. I did not have the insight this young woman appears to have.
I learned that the class that took on Beyond the Tears is a criminal justice course.

#184127 - 06/12/09 01:52 AM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at Univer [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is such great news. I'm all about students reading real life stories to delve deeper into a topic.

Congratulations. Was this Towson University? If so, it's in my back yard. Maybe the instructor heard you when you were interviewed locally by my friend Ginny Robertson? That's another possibility.

How inspiring to read a reflection paper written by someone of another generation. Had the student been abused, or can't you say?

Let me know if they want you to be a guest in the class. You can stay with us and walk to the university.

#184135 - 06/12/09 05:23 AM Re: Beyond the Tears is Required Reading at Univer [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
wow, Princess, what a well-deserved honor! I'm so proud for you!

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved