The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 205 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#76282 - 11/30/05 05:26 AM self publishing company
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I wrote this in the wrong forum first and hope I have found the correct forum now. The company is called First Page Publications. Has anyone heard of them or done business with them?

They are not POD. For the (expensive) price you get line and content editing, press releases, original cover, marketing help, etc., and 2000 books. I've been researching for months and figured out that I would pay the (expensive) price anyway for what POD publishers call "extras." I'm waiting for their contract. Comments are welcome. Thanks. Saundra [Smile]

#76283 - 11/30/05 05:28 AM Re: self publishing company
Saundra Offline

Oops! Forgot to mention that they store and mail books that are ordered. They include all legal registrations, etc. in price. From what I understand, books stores won't stock POD books. Is that correct> Saundra [Smile]

#76284 - 11/30/05 06:09 AM Re: self publishing company
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Saundra,
I'll try and answer your question(s) as closely as I can from my own experience. Anything you've mentioned I got thru my own publisher (line and content editing, press releases, original cover, marketing help, etc.), of my first book, and it was POD. Registrations, as well. And yes, MOST (notice I said MOST) chain bookstores, such as Books-A-Million, Barnes & Noble, etc. do not STOCK POD books. This does not mean they won't order them if a customer asked for them, but they do not like to stock them. This is, however, changing since their profits are so low the last two quarters and they are attributing it to more and more authors going POD. I wish I could remember where I read this. Anyway, I have two books, one with traditional pub, and the other POD. My next book will more than likely be POD as well because I have complete control over my book and I like that. Course, I'm forgetting here that you didn't ask for the pros and cons of POD vs. Traditional. Forgive. AnyHOO...

I've never heard of this company, but please make sure you check them out thru preditors and editors. Why would a traditonal book company have you pay ANYTHING?

You can go here to read about what you should be forewarned about with publishers:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubwarn.htm

and you can go here to read about getting your book published...this has more info than you'll ever want!
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Hope this helps!

p.s. I "googled" your company's name and couldn't find anything on them. Are they new? If so, make sure they are not an old company that went bankrupt and have regrouped under a new name. Some pubs do this.

JJ

#76285 - 11/30/05 06:22 PM Re: self publishing company
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
There are a couple of POD's that allow the return of their books from bookstores.

I think one is Authorhouse and possibly Infinity. Not sure of the second, but the first has a new arrangement for returned books. Check them out.

Sandpiper

#76286 - 11/30/05 07:33 PM Re: self publishing company
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Also, STAR Publish allows the return of their books as well... and that is something that large chains look at. Kudos Sandpiper for bringing that point to the front!

JJ

#76287 - 12/01/05 06:35 AM Re: self publishing company
Saundra Offline

Ladies, all the companies, including Authorhouse, want at least $600 for book return program. Who did you go through that did all the work for you, JJ? First Page Publications has a website. Their cost is $3.65/book - cheap. I checked out Infinity and 5 others and didn't like their cost vs. what they offer. I went to Amazon.com and checked that the books First Page did are available - they are. I will check out your websites, JJ. Thanks so much! Saundra [Smile]

#76288 - 12/01/05 08:10 AM Re: self publishing company
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Saundra, sorry for the late reply. Been gone all afternoon.

I used STAR publish for my first book, and I used Heliographica for the second book.

JJ

#76289 - 12/05/05 05:39 AM Re: self publishing company
Saundra Offline

JJ and all, I will research your two publishers, JJ. I'm also checking out Dog Ear, Outskirts Press and trafford (Canadian). Thanks. Saundra [Smile]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved