The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99376 - 12/15/06 05:43 PM Inspiration
reyro Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I wanted to share this story with anyone who is thinking about returning to school in hopes that it might inspire you to go for it because we only live once...... At 37 I graduated from nursing school and fulfilled a dream I use to only think about. Let me tell you my story..... I was working as a manager for a Child Support Enforcement Agency. I was miserable and going nowhere. My marriage was struggling because of the long hours and 6-7 day work weeks I was keeping, not to mention the pressure of the job. My children often wondered if they even had a mom because I was never there. Nursing was a dream I'd had since I was young but never thought I was "smart" enough to complete nursing school because I didn't have enough confidence. After a short vacation with my husband I returned to my job and submitted my two weeks notice. On our trip my husband and I briefly discussed the financial hardship but he advised he would support my decision. I left my job not knowing how to even apply for nursing school or much less how I was going to pay for it, but my passion was strong and I knew I had to succeed. When I told my mother that I quit my job and was going to school, her response was I don't know if your smart enough for that......but my father was proud and supported my decision. Well I was out to prove her wrong and to prove to myself that I could do anything I set my mind to. It was a struggle, but through persistance and research I was able to put myself through school on scholorships after using a student loan my first semester. I started out taking refresher classes because I had been out of school for so long and my confidence was alittle shakey. I also had to take a part-time job while going to school because we had to make ends meet but in the end we learned that money, even though its nice to have is not always everything. It may buy you material things but it can't buy you family, love or togetherness and through these struggles my family grew stronger. After getting my basic coarses out of the way I was finally in nursing school and then my dad passed away suddenly. I wanted to give up but couldn't because I knew he was watching and cheering me on...... Well at the ripe ole age of 37 I graduated and became a registered nurse. My reason for sharing this with everyone is hopefully to inspire you that if you have a dream, never give up because I found that if your desire is great enough you can over come any obstacles. So I leave you with this..... If you have a dream, live it because you never know when tomorrow may be to late!

Healthy Skin Care

#99377 - 12/15/06 06:10 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: reyro]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Wonderful story! Congratulations on your accomplishments.

My neighbor, who was widowed a year ago, has signed up for a graduate course and intends to complete her Masters and get her teaching credential for math. She's 52!

Kathy

#99378 - 12/16/06 12:03 AM Re: Inspiration [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Way to go, Reyro! I started grad school at 44, and just started on a 2nd Master's at 57. What inspired me was reading about a women who started medical school in her 50s. Someone said to her 'you'll be 60 by the time you finish!' Her response was, 'I'll still be 60 whether I go to medical school or not.' That has stayed with me, and I applaud all women who go on for education later in life. I have just finished my first semester - it was exhausting - I don't have the energy I used to have!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#99379 - 12/17/06 12:10 AM Re: Inspiration [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Thanks for this inspirational message about education in our mature years. I admire the perserverance it takes to go back to school. I was in property management and real estate for decades. Every day was draining. I went back to school to get a degree in social work at age 45. I wanted to study problems and solutions in families and society. I intended to get my masters but during my final semester, which was my internship, I got cancer. It took the wind out of my sails. Now that I am getting my ambition back, I want to return for that master's. I even dream of a Ph.D since I was a teen. Your post and yonuh posts are very inspiring to make it happen. Thanks for sharing! P.S. I'm sorry that you were told and you believed you were not smart enough. Obviously, that was a lie! I'm so glad reyro that you learned the truth! Yes, your Dad was probably a cheer leader from the other side.

#99380 - 12/17/06 12:28 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: Princess Lenora]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Congratulations to all of you. We are all very young women in many ways, and our education never needs to end. Keep evolving and learning!

#99381 - 12/18/06 09:01 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: reyro]
BonnieM Offline

Loc: Seattle area, US
I love hearing stories of people who follow their passions and navigate their way through the bumps along the road.

Thanks for sharing your story and CONGRATULATIONS to you!

Warmly,
Bonnie
Are you feeling stuck, restless, or dissatisfied? Are you longing for more pleasure, passion, and purpose in work and life? Discover 'What Lights You Up' with my free Guide at http://www.labellavia.com

#99382 - 12/18/06 09:41 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: BonnieM]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I loved that line from Yonuh; "'I'll still be 60 whether I go to medical school or not.'"

Anyone that goes back to school as an adult, and has earned a degree shows an amazing stamina, and that over years! Some of you even raised children and lead households while studying! I don't know how you all accomplished this feat. You ladies are living proof how intelligent, disciplined and determined women can be.

Here's a standing ovation for all of you!!!!

#99383 - 12/26/06 11:59 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
reyro, thanks for sharing. What an inspiration you are for all who read and post and those who only lurk.
Three cheers for you. What kind of nursing are you practicing?

#99384 - 12/27/06 10:43 PM Re: Inspiration
reyro Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I work with gastric bypass and lap band patients when they come from surgery until they are ready to go home. I also care for our patients that return to the hospital with complications that may arise after their discharge. It will be eight years next month that I have been working with bariatric nursing and I still love what I do when it comes to caring for my patients. I also do some part-time work as a nurse consultant on malpractice cases that deal with these type surgeries. I just received in the mail yesterday the book "A Stitch In Time" and I can't wait to find time to read it.

Healthy Skin Care

#99385 - 12/28/06 09:46 PM Re: Inspiration [Re: reyro]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Now I remember what kind of nursing you do. I recall telling you abouat the book. Please let me know what you think. I thought it was a fun, quick read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved