The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 205 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199824 - 02/19/10 12:52 AM When partner is hurt- finding that line
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
..meaning finding the line between care and being overly solicitous.

A couple hrs. ago, dearie was on his bike...and another cyclist collided him. He was out for awhile in so far, the next time, he awoke, he was in the emergency dept. at hospital. Got immediate medical attention, CAT scan for his head, leg, etc.

But I didn't know about this until he came home. Doctor told him to take an easy. He should replace his helmet, since it's slightly chipped. He didn't want hospital to phone me.

Really I'm not the sort of woman that goes hysterical and cries at the drop of a pin. So I think he under-estimates me that I would become a tousel-haired panicky woman immediately.

Anyway, he'll take an easy next few days.
But now he's even more motivated....to buy new computer to replace his dying computer. sorry this sounds strange. On one hand I understand since he has some major biz deadlines next wk. but well, if I were him, I would let go 1 project bid.

In some ways, he is very conscientious about his health, freely admits his weaknesses to others, while on other hand he plods along down this path insisting on normality. Which it is.

Sorry for this ramble. crazy

#199828 - 02/19/10 01:17 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WOW! Orchid you are upset, you sound quite frazzled, and rightfully so. I'm sorry he was injured and that it wasn't too bed, say a car hitting him instead of a bike.

Not sure what the computer thingy means but whatever it means I am sure your usual sensibility will come into play. Take a deep breath, have positive thoughts, I bet he'll be fine and back to normal before you know it.
Ramble away it's good for the soul!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199837 - 02/19/10 02:32 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: chatty lady]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Sorry to hear about your hubby's accident Orchid I hope he is back on his feet and feeling healthy soon...

So happy to hear that you are not the "Hysterical" type...remember to take good care of yourself while you help your husband recover...never apologize for venting..Chatty is so wise when she says "its good for the soul"

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#199842 - 02/19/10 01:01 PM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I like the way your husband handled it. I find it very thoughtful. I'm a bit concerned about how long he was out. Are you? Did they say why? And how is he feeling today? A bit beat up? I think it all sinks in the day after the accident.

I totally know what you mean by a fine line with caring for spouse. As you know, Ross is an insulin dependent diabetic and I walk that fine line often. What's happening is that he's becoming more brittle, though is more active than ever, and takes excellent care of himself by testing, eating properly, going to the Y 4-5 times a week, seeing the doctors, etc. The line I walk is that I trust him, but it's the diabetes I don't trust because it's changing. So if I think for some reason, that his blood sugar is low, I ask if he's tested, eaten, etc? I don't like to nag, but I feel more comfortable knowing.

I think this is an excellent time to heap love upon him just for fun, but without asking how he feels. Just pamper him because he'll probably be sore today.

#199859 - 02/19/10 08:05 PM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

True and good advice about heaping care and love, without badgering him constantly about how he feels.

He is still trying to figure out how long he was unconscious or similar. He plans to contact the cyclist who ploughed into him. It was on a bike path. He was told that he was incoherent and asked repeatedly where he was..but he has no memory of saying this or saying anything. Someone would have phoned the ambulance.

Meanwhile this happened only 1 km. away from home.
He's back to the hospital as advised by doctor yesterday to examine his head again. When he coughs his head hurts. So this part is not good right now.

And his bum is sore which isn't surprising. So yes, the older we get after we're 45-50 yrs., no matter how fit, the more brittle we become. It takes longer for one to recover.

Like you Dotsie in trusting Ross, I trust Jack in terms of his cycling ability and safety, his many years of cycling experience.

Over the years, I have heard stories in cycling circles, where a guy or a woman cycles and wants to continue cycling but their partner becomes overly controlling to try to stop or reduce the opportunities for cycling. And this is from cyclists who are experienced and would not engage in risky behaviour on the road.

As I cyclist myself, perhaps it might be a tiny easier to understand how much of a benefit the activity is for physical and mental health to a person ..that the benefits outweigh the small amount of risk. It would have not benefitted our relationship at all if I had tried to stop him from his solo cross-Canada bike trips, etc. or tell him to limit his cycling. It is better that I let go and let him figure out his own limitations and changing physical capabilities over the years.

He knows when to stop and go for a walk. After all, a person isn't constantly cycling for the whole day. Which is precisely what he did today ..to get to the hospital. We live downtown, so to hail a taxi if he feels unwell, is easy.

Meanwhile I went cycling to get groceries for us...which is a normal routine for each of us..for past many years.

So last night, he rested on the couch with the TV, while I went by myself outside to take fireworks photos in the neighbourhood.

THis coming Monday we are going to the Olympic women's hockey playoff game. The shortest route is a 35 kms. round trip bike ride which he had wanted to do by bike. Hmmmm, we'll see. The buses and light rail trains have been thronging with record-breaking crowds using the transit system.

We'll take each day at a time.
I'm sure that with diabetic (diabetes I) family members, it is something that just gets abit more complicated as the decades march forward.

#199860 - 02/19/10 08:31 PM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Does he have a concussion, Orchid? Hope he feels better soon, and it’s good that he is under the doctor’s observation.

Oh yes, I agree the advantages of doing a sport strongly outweigh the risks of injury.

Tell Jack “ Gute Besserung” from me.:-)), and hope you recovered from your scare. I’m sure it was one, even if you aren’t the type to get ravelled.

#199873 - 02/20/10 12:08 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

He thx for the good wishes English and in German. (Yes, he knows that phrase well.)

The guy who hit him, phoned him just now. He offered to pay for dearie's chipped helmet.

Apparently by coincidence there was an ambulance sitting near by, probably resting or on its way somewhere. So it was able respond to get dearie down to the hospital.

It is the Olympics after all, so one expects some more on the road in the downtown area anyway. (All the downtown hospitals had to ensure they had elective surgeries postponed so that they could deal with sudden influx of injuries from visitors, athletes. The athletes have been well looked after by high tech temp. medical facilities near some major venues and at Olympic athletes' village.) There Olympic special car lanes for buses, amulances and firetrucks which are used.

So at this time, dr. has told him to stay off bike for 1 wk.

#199881 - 02/20/10 01:27 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: orchid]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Orchid...wow...just now seeing this...sorry about your husband's accident. I would have been so worried like crazy. I'm sure everything will be okay but I understand your worrying...it's what we do.
Dotsie...I didn' tknow your hubby was a diabetic...goodness, you have a lot on your plate. and you keep such a positive attitude despite all that is going on in your life you always find time to support us and give us positive feedback...so sweet.
Keep us posted, Orchid, and be strong. Sending both you ladies hugs and prayers.

#199893 - 02/20/10 04:59 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: Dee]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Orchid, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. If I may ask, how did you feel when he did not let the hospital phone you? I might have been hurt to not be trusted to handle the accident with appropriate sensibility. Oh well, he is home safe and somewhat sound with you now. I hope he recovers quickly, and all is well.

#199914 - 02/21/10 04:07 AM Re: When partner is hurt- finding that line [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Well, I was simply a bit puzzled why didn't have someone contact me by phone.

Well, let's hope he will phone me when something really serious happens.

I am concerned enough since his helmeted head did touch the pavement. We skipped an Olympic themed friends' party tonight since he finds his hip painful to walk and ...tough to sit down for several hrs. and stand. Exacerbated by walking this morning.

He's abit frustrated because this limits him enjoying the local Olympics festitivies right now. After all history is being made and televised ...down the street.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved