The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189522 - 09/08/09 06:22 PM Boundaries for Marriage
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I've recently gotten this book (on CD) from the library. I have to say it is changing my life. I'm asking God to give me the strength to make changes in me that I've needed for a LONG time.

Has anyone heard about/read it? I think we all could use some reminders. My brother advised me to get it and I ran with it.

EXCELLENT!!

#189524 - 09/08/09 06:35 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Di]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Thanks for the recomendation Di. Could you quote something out of the book, or share what impressed you the most so far?

#189527 - 09/08/09 06:46 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Edelweiss3]
Di Offline

First of all, Drs. Cloud and Townsend wrote it. I have their original "Boundaries" book which is also very good.

What I have learned so far (but not limited to this) is to not look to my spouse as a replacement parent or child......both of which I was lacking when I came into my marriage. That when "two" become "one", the two one's must be WHOLE before entering in. I should never have married ANYONE until I was whole.

But, I digress. I have LOTS of work to do on me. There are 8 CD's...and I've renewed it to be able to listen to it again and again.

Edited by Di (09/08/09 06:47 PM)

#189528 - 09/08/09 07:09 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Di]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I had the book and the workbook at one time - about 12 years ago. I traded it on PBS, though. At the time it didn't interest me, so I traded for something that did. I'm glad you're finding thinking material with it. Never hurts us to try and do better, no matter what the motivation is.

#189531 - 09/08/09 07:40 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Di
What I have learned so far (but not limited to this) is to not look to my spouse as a replacement parent or child......both of which I was lacking when I came into my marriage. That when "two" become "one", the two one's must be WHOLE before entering in. I should never have married ANYONE until I was whole.

I agree with this 110% - a person needs to be whole first to make the marriage easier or at least define marriage goals and spirit more clearly with life changes.

It's a hard thing to swallow because it helps for a person to be comfortable with living with just oneself first. Listen to the silence first...

#189558 - 09/08/09 11:35 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When talking to the high school kids in my writing classes, I find that too many young girls still get married just to leave home. They aren't college material (hated school) and so they get married. Thats the saddest reason I have hesrd of to leave home. It happened to some of my own girlfriends when I was in school. But back in my day, the 1950's, a girl was suppose to marry and college was mostly for boys. I myself loved my boyfriend, who became my fiancee on my birthday, but got married because mother and the family spoke of it often, as if planning for it. I was a good girl and did what was expected.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#189594 - 09/09/09 06:30 AM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Interesting point, chatty. I remember toying with the idea as well, just to get out of my strict parents house. so I can understand some of these girls, who think they had no other choice, at that time.

Di, very good point about being whole. Does it say how the 'whole' person should cope with the one who isn't 'whole'?
I'm trying to find a short cut out of reading this book..heh heh.

#189603 - 09/09/09 12:01 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Edelweiss3]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
EW, I'm guessing you're the whole person in your relationship. You go girl!

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Boundaries-Marriag...7483&sr=8-1

#189614 - 09/09/09 03:54 PM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Get the CD, EW. IT's WELL worth it...to listen to again and again. I don't have time for a book either.

#189826 - 09/13/09 01:14 AM Re: Boundaries for Marriage [Re: Di]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I got married the first time to get away from home too. Yeah, I've done a lot of STUPID things in my 50 years. But I have grown and learned, and hopefully am just a bit wiser these days (especially after the past 6 months).

Sounds like a good book, I'll check it out.

Whirlwind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved