The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129534 - 10/17/07 11:52 AM Getting Married in our 50's or later......
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I just had to start this thread because in some of the others, it naturally leads to discussions (at the end) of the joys and tribulations of later in life newlyweds. I'd love to hear others thoughts on what it was/is like and how they keep it going!
In some ways I've found it to be easier and yet in my situation the first couple of years was no easier than when I was in my twenties...so many different issues. We were married 3 years ago when I was 50 and he was 55, second marriages for both of us. How did you meet? What were some of the obstacles in the beginning and/or what have they become with time? How do you cope or deal with them?

#129535 - 10/17/07 05:42 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
It's easier now because I know I will never marry again (even if he passes away) and there isn't that ego to jump in and threaten to leave if there is a big argument. I guess I've grown up.

We met at a restaurant while both waiting for a table. Only obstacle was stepchildren. When I stopped competiting, the competition stopped too.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#129536 - 10/18/07 12:04 AM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: Dianne]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
We met on the internet. I had a problem child who stole 300+ CDs from him (they were being stored in the garage), broke the antenna from his car and generally raised havoc. Ken still stayed. I was hooked.

It gets easier because we have both matured enough to keep the focus on ourselves, not have the other person meet all our needs and keep growing.

It also helps, as my girlfriend said, that I finally got it right. :-))

#129537 - 10/18/07 11:13 AM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: Casey]
ladyjane Offline

Casey, Your statement "It gets easier because we have both matured enough to keep the focus on ourselves, not have the other person meet all our needs and keep growing" is so true! When we're younger we seem to think that this new person needs to meet ALL of our emotional and other needs rather than realizing that we're responsible for ourselves! Good point. I, too, met my husband on the internet....Match.com. He found me. We emailed for about a week and then met at a bluesy nightclub where he played with the band.

#129538 - 10/19/07 03:17 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I keep hearing this, but still tell mly kids to stay away from internet dating.

Do you recommend it to young adults?

#129539 - 10/19/07 03:38 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later......
ladyjane Offline

Honestly, I think I have to agree about young people and internet dating. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if I had teens of 20-something single kids. I fear for them, not through their own fault, but because of who they are at the age....we've all been there....some of us smarter and wiser than others! I think it would open up the world a bit much. Kids are just naturally braver than more cautious older adults about most things. There are strange people out there. I still found that to be true when I was internet dating. I corresponded awhile and if I felt it was worth a meeting, it was always in a public place with my own car. We hear from the news how kids are so trusting in giving out names and addresses and other particulars online. If one is very cautious and takes their time (and follows their gut)it can be an okay method of meeting people you would otherwise never have a chance to (no matter what age), but my own children? I think I'd be passing out the warnings, too. I met a few weirdos.

#129540 - 10/19/07 04:15 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: ladyjane]
Countrygirl Offline

Loc: The wilds of Scotland, UK
Internet dating? Hmmm...I would have been too afraid I think! My daughter has a friend she met online and I was SO afraid that this so-called teenage girl was actually some horrible dirty old paedo out to get her!! It took a long time (and a webcam) to convince me she was just a regular girl!! LOL

#129541 - 10/22/07 04:56 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: Countrygirl]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for responding. I know some kids use the internet to meet, but I'm afraid they might not see the warning signs that we more mature adults would see.

They say love is blind. I've got to believe it is even more so online!

Country, yes, the same goes for maing friend of the same sex. You never know if they are cahtting to reel them in for something horrible.

#129542 - 10/23/07 12:12 AM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later......
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
I think our kids are much more comfortable with the internet than we are. However, I agree that they don't necessarily have the sense they need. So, it's really important that they get the message over and over to be careful, always meet in a public place, etc.

#129543 - 11/02/07 11:44 PM Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... [Re: Casey]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Saw an interesting thing in todays Senior Times Newspaper. They are expecting (so far-registered) 18 couples+ that will be married on Christmas day here in Las Vegas wedding chapels. Nothing special you say, maybe it is because all the couples are over 50 years of age, some are way over...

I find that charming and filled with hope for those of us looking, and in our senior years.

I was asked one night at a Church function whether I would ever consider getting married again? I had to think long and hard on my way home and decided, I might, if the right man came along. But I have such a warped trust issue after number 3, it makes it hard. I thought he was going to be my last husband and we would be together until the end. I've been told I scare men off with my inquisition type mentality. My son calls me "Charlock Holmes." LOL!

Edited by chatty lady (11/02/07 11:50 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved