The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128932 - 10/08/07 03:32 PM I'm getting tired of trying help
Emyjay Offline

Okay.

I know John is not cheating on me, but he has lost all interest in even cuddling.

I am not happy. This has been going on for over a year.
He does not even hug me.

I am losing weight, have told him - calmly - that I miss our intimacy.

He just ignores me. So now, I'm starting to back off.

This "control" over our love life has been going on for years.

At one point, before we were married, I left him because
my needs were being ignored.

I don't know what to do.

I'm too religious to cheat, but did God mean for me to
age without the affection of my partner?

At this point, I am so hurt and angry, that I think I would - might - hit him if he comes near me.

I am at that point.

Just plain tired. We are satisfatory roommates at this point.

I'm 59; he turned 60 in June. But ladies, he's been like this for at least 10 years - and once in awhile in his thirties.

I am very sure he does not have a girlfriend. I was married to one of those who couldn't keep his hands to himself or his equipment in his pants. Actually, if he does, I'm not sure I care anymore.

I've been talking to therapists through the years about this. All have said this is a control issue.

Well, I'm sick of it.

I tried to contact my first husband. He's been missing for thirty years.

I just got a response that he is looking for me.

I am soo tempted.
Help
Emily in Maryland

#128933 - 10/08/07 05:01 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Emyjay]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
why are you trying to contact your lst hubby as an alternative or to vent? Not helpful to you to revisit that path from so long ago.

Are things being resolved with you at work? Are you hanging onto the marriage now ..due to financial reasons?

#128934 - 10/08/07 05:42 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
What a weird way to “punish“ or control. After all, your husband is missing out as well. Maybe he can’t…I mean physically. Maybe you should just ask him if that is the reason, … but in an understanding and loving way. He may just want to prove you’re wrong. If he still refuses, I would confront him with the truth and tell him that you'll get your kicks elsewhere. According to the way he reacts, I guess you'll know how you stand.

Sorry Emyjay to hear that you are having marriage problems. Men! I don’t know…, it’s hard with them and hard without them. Um…excuse me…maybe that was the wrong choice of words.

In any case what it all boils down to is that you shouldn’t be stuck with someone that makes you miserable. I gave my husband the alternative; either I leave him or he stops making me feel depressed. It has helped, … although I do have to keep reminding him.

#128935 - 10/08/07 05:50 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Edelweiss]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
EmyJay I would encourage you to visit the website of an on-line friend who has helped me figure out some things with my now ex-husband. Do a google search for Bonnie Kaye, you will find her site. She is a phycologist (sp?) who has gone through very similar circumstances. She is open and will respond if you e-mail her.

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#128937 - 10/09/07 01:44 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: ]
Emyjay Offline

Things at work just got worse, as of this morning.

I will probably have to resign. My supervisor won't get off of my back.

I'm getting ready to send some "feelers" out.

I need to work, or I will get depressed. Also, when I am working, I have less problems with John. If I am bringing money in, he respects me more.

But, I am 59 and believe me, there is age discrimination.

I want to stay in my field and the choices are limited. But,there are some choices.

I called John at work, yesterday, and told him how it makes me feel when he ignores me, when he won't even hold my hand.

He says he will change. He helped me deep-clean the kitchen this past Sunday, after we fought.

I want to discuss things; he wants to have arguments. I told him that I am refusing to argue with anyone at this time in my life. I am more than willing to sit down and discuss, hash things out - so to speak - but I won't get involved in screaming matches with anyone, anymore.

This is the new me. One that has arisen from the pits. I guess therapy has worked.

My sister was talking to me very rudely on the phone this past Sunday morning. I told her that I wasn't going to let anyone talk to me - yell, I mean - at me, anymore.

She and John and through most of my life - my mother - start talking in what I can only discribe as "cartoon like" voices when they get angry. It's like a little child going "nah, nah, nah." That's the only way I can describe it.

That's why I know it's a control issue. Because I've run all of the above by at least three, different therapists.

My mother was emotionally abuse toward me for almost all of my life. I think she hates me because I figured it out -- and they had to get married because of me.

My father never admitted that they had to get married, but he did sit with me and my first psychiatrist and say, "for some reason, she never liked her."

Ouch in the gut.

cont. do to time out issue

Emily

#128938 - 10/09/07 02:18 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Emyjay]
Emyjay Offline

I will not leave John, because I have no where to go.

So, I'll have to just "get over it," I guess.

Thinking it probably is not a good idea to connect with the former, who I have not seen or spoken to in about 35 years.

I think because I'm turning 60 in July, I'm more interested in putting my energies into positive relationships. I don't think, I know I am.

I'm just going to hope that John and I will get to the place where we can be good roommates. I'll need to reach out to new friends and old to fill emotional needs.

Thanks to all who are helping me.

I was blessed to find this site and to have the opportunity to connect with all of the compassionate, ladies who make up this "boomer" community.

Blessings,
Emily

#128939 - 10/09/07 02:34 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Emyjay]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
He's punishing you for something, Emily.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#128940 - 10/09/07 04:25 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Dianne]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Emily, we all have needs in our lives. Everyone's needs are different. But, if we don't get our needs met in some way, we will have problems.

It sounds like you have a need to be touched, for example. How else could you get that need met? Could you get a massage? Have a good friend hug you once in a while? Ask your husband to hug you when you need it?

And YEA! for you for setting boundaries and not letting people treat you disrespectfully. That is a huge accomplishment!

#128941 - 10/09/07 11:41 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Casey]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Emily, I am hurting for you. I don't have any idea of the answer, but am sure the answer lies somewhere within you. I am so sorry that you are in such pain.

I agree with Casey - celebrate your accomplishments, you have so very many.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#128942 - 10/09/07 11:59 PM Re: I'm getting tired of trying help [Re: Anno]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm sorry you are going through this sort of pain. I know it is hard when the man we love/loved, is "chilling us out," and shutting us out emotionally. What Dianne said ran true to me, about him punishing you for some slight or something he feels you have done to hurt him.
If he is, it is wrong to approach these feelings this way. He should talk it out and get whatever is making him try to punish you out on the table for you both to deal with. Things can grow so big after a lot of time not communicating. It seems that a small thing can happen between two people and if left undealt with, it can grow into something so very complex.
In my own experience, a couple can get back to the original problem if both of them care to save the love and investment made in one another. It is the best route, I think, that is the route that brings us together again, but not always the one a person chooses.
Have you been together a long time, I've forgotten the orignial post. If so, then it might be worth it to try to get back to basics and find the root of this.
I am, again, so very sorry you are feeling this pain. I know it. I remember shorter "punishments," from my former marriage that felt so lonely and set me on a course of self-loathing. Please do not turn on yourself. You sound as if you keep your life as full of others as you can so you can get feedback that is sane and "normal." If you were isolated in this, I would really worry.
Is it worth this pain? Only you can answer that. It is up to us, to me, to support you as a friend should and to not judge you.
I, for one, will support you which ever direction you take your life.
dancer

Edited by dancer9 (10/10/07 12:06 AM)

"Question your privilege"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved