The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6335 - 03/10/05 09:45 PM keeping the spark alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What do you and your hubby do to keep that spark alive? I'm not talking sex here. Just the little things.

I'll start with a couple and then jump back in later.

Ross is off every Wednesday so we spend a good part of the day together doing all kinds of things. We work on house projects, run errands, have lunch, and hang out together. It's been a great way to reconnect while the rest of the world is at work or school.

Something else that has helped through the years is getting away for an overnighter. We've stayed in a hotel as close as one mile from our home to get the needed break when the kids were all toddlers.

What works for you?

#6336 - 03/10/05 10:49 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
what works for me? him marrying the neighbor he wanted, and me being single...

what?

Okay...when we DID like each other, what we did was have picnics on the river. Away from everyone. Course we had a place on the river so that made a difference.

JJ

#6337 - 03/10/05 11:19 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Being appreciative. I think this keeps the spark alive me.

Also, when he leaves to go to work (or go anywhere) I get up from WHATEVER I am doing to give him a big hug and kiss good-bye.

I want him to know always how much he means to me!

Danita

#6338 - 03/11/05 12:38 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What does dh and I do to keep the spark going? We spend time together. It doesn't matter what we're doing, just so long as we're in the same room.

Also, I love Danita's response. Dh kisses me good bye every morning, whether I'm awake or not. We also kiss each other good bye and hello. And, we always kiss each other good night. So, I guess what I'm saying, is that we kiss. [Smile]

#6339 - 03/11/05 01:55 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Vicki,

So sweet!

Danita

#6340 - 03/11/05 09:12 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Danita, this is one of my bugaboos. I've always taught the kids to acknowledge the comings and goings of family members. I can't stand it when I'm calling for one of the kids, only to find out they left without telling me so. Because I've made such a stink about it, it rarely happens.

We also do the kissing thing as we come and go. [Big Grin]

How about walks? Any of you take walks together? We've gotten out of the habit because of the cold, but spring is coming. Hopefully, we'll get back to walking the dog together. Sometimes with teens in the house, all it takes is a little fresh air to change the mood of the house.

#6341 - 03/11/05 09:40 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Dotsie,

The whole "acknowledging someone leaving the house" all started when my husbands' mother suddenly passed away.

She died the day after monther's day - and would you know that we hadn't got ahold of her on mother's day...we KNEW there would be tomorow.

She knew we loved her (we had a very good relationship with her)...but we were so grieved that we hadn't had the chance to tell her we loved her on mother's day. We had sent a gift (which arrived during the wk of the funeral)....but it just brought home - how we just don't know how long we are going to have someone.

It is so important to "connect" before someone leaves the house...you just don't know if they are coming back or not.

It is so important to treasure the people in our lives...to not sweat the small stuff.

My hubby and I tend to go out for drives and dinner. (though we should walk!)

Danita

(some time I'll have to share some things that happened after her death - that were very special to me)

#6342 - 03/11/05 09:51 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
We usually walk about 2 miles every day in the good weather. That's when we can talk without too many interruptions.
We do the kissing bye and hello too.
I think its the little things that you both do that are surprises. Say your having a bad day,
you come home and stuff is picked up that you left and I do things for him.
Maggie

#6343 - 03/13/05 10:25 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Danita, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

Danita wrote:

It is so important to "connect" before someone leaves the house...you just don't know if they are coming back or not.

This sounds so depressing, but while I was falling asleep Friday night I couldn't help but think of the families in Atlanta who lost their loved ones that day. I thought about them leaving thier families that morning as though it were another typical day...and then to be murdered while doing thier jobs...and never seeing your loved ones again, nor them seeing you. It makes me sick.

#6344 - 03/13/05 10:50 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I agree Dots. I am a huge believer in not parting without a kiss. You never know what can happen while you are apart.
Several times since I've been laid up, Dan has come home from work with a movie and we crawled into bed in the guest room to watch it and snuggle for a while. That's a pretty surefire way of making sparks.
Except during the months while I have been in a cast, we have a 'date' once a week. It's fun to get dressed up and show each other off.
Dan is big on bringing me flowers from the grocery store. And I'm big on being surprised and delighted.
Our second anniversary is not until July so sparks are still flying around here, but we're working at keeping them in the air forever.
smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved