The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 202 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5773 - 03/13/04 08:40 AM Marriage and Finances
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
WHile this comes up a lot, mainly because we are a young couple trying to get everything together, it really becomes an issue around tax time. I take care of all the financial stuff in our home, bills, investments, etc., but tax time is when I really get the picture of how much more WE could be doing if WE were doing the stuff together. THere are only so many hours in the day and it is difficult to keep tabs on all of it. My husband hates talking about finances. He's gotten better, but it's still a struggle. Any ideas on how to get your partner involved with financial matters without it becoming the biggest stress in your married lives together?

#5774 - 03/16/04 12:25 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
Candice Johnson Offline

I guess this is a sensitive issue guys?

#5775 - 03/16/04 02:24 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I don't think it is necessarily a sensitive issue as much as it is one of those things that everyone is sitting back going hmmm...hoe ca I respond?

I think setting goals together might be one way. Make the first goal a small one to snag him. The small, reachable goal just might want him to go for a larger, more difficult one next. You might also make it something HE really would like to see materialize...say like camping equipment he has his eye on...or a new tennis racket...something that will excite him to see the set-aside savings grow....then, graduate to something else...just some thoughts

#5776 - 03/16/04 03:32 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
JawJaw is right...hmmmmm...how does one respond?
I thought about being flip and saying the way we handle it is...Dave makes it and I spend it...it's a 50/50 split and seems to work well enough for us, at least most of the time.

Okay, now that every one is finished laughing...
We have a rule - which ONE of us has only broken once & been caught <g> that neither of us will spend more than $100 without talking it over with the other person. Another thing that helps us with finances is we're together 24/7. It's hard to spend money on impulse buys when we're together all the time. We're fairly simple people but we do live in a big farmhouse and it's expensive to live here. Windows are 9'x3' and in the winter it's difficult to heat. We make choices...we'd reather live here and have high heating bills than live somewhere else and spend money on something else. The animals cost money but I'd rather have them than a newer car. If I want that new car smell, I'll buy one of those new car smell freshners.

I suppose, coming toward the end of my rambling here...it all boils down to choices. Do you and your husband talk about what you want out of life? Do you have goals? Do you have plans? It sounds trite but putting stuff down in black & white will help both of you. It's easier to "see" and make adjustments, changes, etc. when it's in black & white. And, black & white doesn't mean in stone. Get a pencil with an eraser, makes things easier.

Congratulations on starting out. Life is a grand adventure, especially when you are beside someone you love.

#5777 - 03/16/04 03:35 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Oh gosh...think I misunderstood your question.

Quicken. Dave swears by it.

#5778 - 03/16/04 07:14 PM Re: Marriage and Finances
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Candice Johnson:
but tax time is when I really get the picture of how much more WE could be doing if WE were doing the stuff together. THere are only so many hours in the day and it is difficult to keep tabs on all of it. My husband hates talking about finances. He's gotten better, but it's still a struggle. Any ideas on how to get your partner involved with financial matters without it becoming the biggest stress in your married lives together?

I'm so glad you brought this back up because it was a post I wanted to get to.

Before we got married the priest talked to us about several aspects of marriage. Money was one of the biggies. Along with money comes communication. The two have to be connected in my opinion.

I'm assuming you have one big pot [Big Grin] of money meaning you don't have separate accounts, each with your own earnings.

If that's the case, you should have a budget that the two of you agree on. Givens are mortgage, gas and electric, phone, all the necessities.

Decide what you want to do with what's left. A portion for saving and a portion for mad money as my mom would call it.

Mad money is where it gets tricky. [Eek!] Like Thistle suggested, pick a dollar amount and decide that you won't purchase anything without consulting if it's above that amount. [Wink]

This is where lots of communicating comes in.

Some women might disagree and think we shouldn't have to do this, but remember you are in this together. You're trying to do what's best for both of you.

So if you want to spend x amount of money to go on a trip with the girls and he wants to spend x amount on a new gadget for the computer, you have to discuss and see how both can be pleased by cutting corners in other areas. Sometimes both can't be pleased so you give and take at different times in your marriage. But be HONEST about your feelings. Speak honestly about what you think is fair.

The more you communicate, the more he's involved. He has to be made more aware if he helps set the budget and you work together at staying within it.

Happily married couples really want to please the other partner. Remember that! When working as a team, there's no reason both of you can't be happy if you are communicating honestly and doing some give and take. Hope this helps.

#5779 - 03/16/04 11:30 PM Re: Marriage and Finances
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My husband and I are trying something we call the US fund. It's the money we spend on maintaining US as a couple and the things we're saving for, for Us. We also have the HIS fund and the HER fund for stuff I want and stuff he wants. And there are limits on each for spending, but not on saving.
All those funds come out of what remains after we contribute to the God fund which is our tithes, etc.

It sounds a little complicated, but it's working so far.

With a lot of help from my friend and yours, QUICKEN-Wow what a program.
smile

#5780 - 03/17/04 05:54 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
Candice Johnson Offline

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All of them were good ones. I just have to take it a step at a time. I know he just wants me to take care of it, but I feel weird just making the decisions on my own. Maybe I'll get used to it after a while.
I will try to get more involved a little bit at a time. He did say he would go with me to see a financial planner.

I have quicken fro my freelance stuff and never thought about using it for the home, but it would be perfect.

#5781 - 03/23/04 05:52 AM Re: Marriage and Finances
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
I understand your frustration. My husband is the same way. He rather i make the financial decisions. We talk about it but the ultimate dceision when coming down to paying for it is me. When he wants something...he uses the line "i wish we had some money"...and he says it in such a way that I know hes wanting it real bad. I answer..."how much money do you wish we had"...he would give me a figure and what it is he wants. I just tried to accomodate he wishes. It works with us. Just communicate. Right now our monies is good but it was very stressful when it wasn't so good.

#5782 - 03/24/04 07:45 PM Re: Marriage and Finances
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Candice, another thing you have to remember is the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! I can't take credit for that saying, but it's true.

There was a time when a Matchbox car did the trick. Now it's a sporty new convertible whatever!

Or, a Gameboy, and now it's a whole new computer system with all the whistles and bells!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved