The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147501 - 05/02/08 12:48 PM Graduation and other occasion problems
BonnieK Offline

Loc: Chicago suburbs
Hi All,

Its been a while since I have posted. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer 4 months ago. I had a total hysterectomy and was told I am fine. No follow up, I caught it very early.
So life goes on, I am struggling to recover, deal with hormone issues as well as thyroid problems. On top of it, I am now in another battle with the BF. Here is how it goes.

His youngest daughter is graduating from college out of state. there are 4 tickets. She has chosen her mother, father (my bf), her maternal grandmother and gradfather. If she is able to get extra tickets its will be first her sister, then her maternal uncle, then me. O.K. I get it. I'm not at the top of the food chain. The schedule is such: friday nite dinner with everyone, saturday 9:00 am graduation, then lunch with everyone after dinner. Even if I don't have a ticket to the graduation, BF still wants me to come and be at all these meals. This means I have to take time off of work on Friday to get there by dinner time. The whole thing stinks to me. I take time off of work, drive 4 hours, have to eat a meal with all the ex's, sit in the hotel room during the graduation then show up again for another meal. The idea is so insane to me. On top of it taking more time off of work makes me very uncomfortable. My boss gave me so much paid time off when I was sick. How can I ask for more? I'm still taking time off for follow up dr appointments. I told BF I'm not going. So, we have been a giant fights for days now. Even if I get a ticket, I do not want to ask for more time off. Why can't we meet the daughter later? To me, Bf is being completely impossible. He will not confront her, says its about family and celebrating her day and I am wrong and its not about me. On top of it, I'm still recovering and a schedule like that really has me concerned. I'm pooped at a day of work let along running around like that. I really need some help here. This whole situation is out of control.

#147502 - 05/02/08 01:03 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: BonnieK]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Hi Bonnie, sorry to hear about all you've been through, but glad you recovered and things are normalizing.

The reasons for you not attending the graduation seem plausible to me. And if they seem that way to me, they should be that way for your BF. After all he should be the loving protecting understanding person in your life. You could always push it off on your boss and say he won’t give you the time off. But frankly, a 4 hour drive for you is strenuous. Having a hysterectomy 4 months ago is not that long ago. I heard it takes at least 6 months to recover.

So stick to your guns girl. But try not to get sick over this. Be firm and calm. He has to simply accept you not going. There is really no basis here for a discussion, and don’t allow yourself to be forced into defending your decision repeatedly.

#147503 - 05/02/08 02:25 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: Edelweiss]
BonnieK Offline

Thanks Edelweiss,so many times lately I don't even trust my own judgement, but my guts are just screaming at me with this one. My bf is a classic guilty non custodial father and has never been able to move past it. I'm interested in more opinions.
I'm trying hard not to let this eat me up, but its already done a good job. I went home from work yesterday and slept fo the hours. A combo of recovery still and stress.

#147504 - 05/02/08 02:25 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
BonnieK, welcome back. Sorry to hear about all that's taken place in such a short period of time. Please keep mending and taking care of yourself.

Will the daughter be coming to your area to live after graduation? If so, how aobut suggesting doing dinner with just the three of you at a later date?

How long have you and BF been together? Just to get an idea of how close you might be to the daughter...

#147505 - 05/02/08 02:53 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems
BonnieK Offline

BF and I are together almost ten years. My relationship with his two daughters have been rocky. Looks good on the surface,but their is no love lost on either side. The BF is the bigger problem. He has tried to force a relationship for years not only on me but my family. Of course it didn't succeed. They have their own mother and a very close family on that side. The added attraction is that the mother is very wealthy and indulges them constantly. BF and I do no have it, don't believe in it and dont' do it. I am all BF has. His family is very estranged.

I did suggest a dinner when she got home and of course BF didn't like that. He keeps telling me this is not about me. Well...I get that and it is her day, but man I am so far down on the family chain her, its pretty humiliating to me and BF is unsupportive. I feel like if I give in on this, it will be a lifelong pattern. Honestly, if I didn't go, I do not think the daughter would lose any sleep over it. She would just gossip about, but I don't care. More thoughts?

#147506 - 05/02/08 06:56 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: BonnieK]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Top of your priorities ought to be your health, Bonnie. I have had total hysterectomy and fatigue was something that took months to be rid of. You are also still healing internally. Don't push yourself regardless of the pressure put upon you. Look at it this way, at the end of the day, it is you who would suffer the consequences, and not any other, if you push yourself too far.

I understand how you must feel under the circumstances with regards to attending the family gathering for your BF's daughter. But, you need not attend it if you do not feel comfortable about it. You do have health and work-related reasons to stay away. So, you weigh the pros and cons. Remember, that you have got only once chance to heal well and you must not let anyone scupper that for you.

#147507 - 05/02/08 07:31 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Bonnie your BF sounds like a first class jerk to me. You just had MAJOR SURGERY and need his support and nurturing not him causing you stress. If it were me I just WOULDN'T GO, whats he going to do bodily pick you up and carry you? Ignore the jerk and go about your own business, you don't want to take advantage of what sounds like a very kind boss, you need to keep some of your sick time and his patience in case you need them eventually.
Your BF and his daughter sound like selfish, uncaring, spoiled losers. Sorry if I sound harsh but I mean every word. You'll find me to be the outspoken, tell it like it is gal in this group...
Heal, take care of yourself and ignore this BF of yours...Personally I'd kick him to the curb if he kept it up, let him go stay with his daughter, sounds like they deserve one another. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in her case. I'd bet his family wasn't sending YOU get well cards, calling or offering help during or after your surgery etc...

Edited by chatty lady (05/02/08 07:35 PM)

#147508 - 05/02/08 08:57 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: chatty lady]
BonnieK Offline

Yep Chatty, they were of limited support. And when they did, it was their father that prompted them to do it. After all this time, I just ignore their dynamic as much as possible, but this one put me over the edge. I am not making excuses for him, but then it comes to his kids he is blind. Otherwise, he is a good person.
Thank you all for your candid replies. I need this to know I am not hormonal, nuts or thyroided out (which I am, I'm checking my pulse now)It also helps for me to stand my ground. And right now that curb with him on it is lookin pretty good.

#147509 - 05/03/08 04:21 AM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: BonnieK]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Heal yourself BK.

Sounds like your BF has this ongoing fantasy of 2 happy families. But that's not going to happen if it's forced.

You actually sound as if...you need a vacation some time....but of course, that's not realistic after your sick leave.

Look deeply to what you really want for the next few years.

#147510 - 05/03/08 12:48 PM Re: Graduation and other occasion problems [Re: orchid]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I think BF is very wrong in saying it is not about you. It is. It is about your health and also about your relationship with his daughter(s), which apparently is almost non-existent. Tell him this; that you will go if he will go to your ex-husband's at Christmas. (if there is an ex)...put it into perspective for him.

I've had the same surgery and let me tell you, it takes almost a year to get back to normal "inside." Stress is not your friend either when one is trying to heal. Although this is his child, you are his life partner, yes? Your health should be parramount to him. If it isn't, then I would re-think HIM.

It seems crazy to me to ask your boss for more time off, endangering your job (livelihood) to go to a function you don't want to go to in the first place, to be with a bunch of people who don't want you there.

Another two cents worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved