The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71343 - 02/01/06 06:12 AM I just became a step-grandma
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
If anyone has any (and does not have your own),I'd love some advice.

Our "gift" (besides giving the personal shower) was presenting the parents (when we go see them) with three newspapers with the baby's birthdate. Why three from three different states?

One is the newspaper of the town where her Mommy was born; one is the newspaper of where here Daddy was born; and one is the newspaper of where DH was born (and his X)

I'm also looking for a linen calendar towel of this year. I'd given two at the engagement tea that I had for DSD before they married: one for each of their birth years; 1972 AND 1966.

I think I can do "different" stuff like this since I am removed emotionally. Yeah, I'm happy for DH, but I don't "feel" anything since she is not my daughter who gave birth.

#71344 - 02/01/06 06:17 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds like very nice gifts. Not sure where you'd get a linen calendar but you might try calling Hallmark.....good luck.

#71345 - 02/01/06 05:32 PM Re: I just became a step-grandma
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Do it Ebay!
Di, Congratulations! and am I to assume that you haven't held God's miracle yet? I think you just might "feel" something then. I am a step grand-ma and I am looking to holding mine soon. The biggest favour I can do for a my step grand baby and myself is to have the greatest relationship known.
I just sent my little 'miracle' a Valentine parcel.Good luck on finding all the treasures...and do try Ebay. http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=linen+calendar+towel+
chick

[ February 01, 2006, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#71346 - 02/01/06 11:02 PM Re: I just became a step-grandma
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You may also try the Vermont Country Store, www.vermontcountrystore.com

Congrats. What thoughtful gifts.

I'm anxious to hear how you fell after seeing and holding the new bundle of joy.

#71347 - 02/02/06 08:13 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
Di Offline

Thanks,ya'll. DH says he "feels the spoiling gene" coming on! And asked if I feel it,too. But I do not, sorry to say.

My feeling is that this baby will be like a friend's baby who I will see often. Sorry, but it's just "not there".

But, I feel for my DH as this is the time when he needs to be sharing those feelings with the same wife who is the same mother to the new mother. (got that?? [Wink] ) This is where divorce is NOT a good thing. Both he and his X are experiencing the same emotions at the same time, but separately. [Frown]

#71348 - 02/23/06 08:23 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Di,
Congratulations on becoming a Grandma.
Babies don't know from "Step" They love everyone that loves them back!

#71349 - 02/25/06 11:33 PM Re: I just became a step-grandma
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Di, congratulations on becoming a step-grandma. My sister is one and loves all of them without fail. best of luck to you.

Sandpiper

#71350 - 03/17/06 06:06 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
time on my hands Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I felt sad when I read this as just having become a new Nana,but never thought of my husband feeling any different about the baby than me, as he is my second husband so really a stepgrandad, but my daughter dosn't think of him that way, he helped me bring up my children from a young age and they have more of a father relationship with him than there real father.Both my husband and myself had no grandchildren then there were three all within a month of each other, two in his side but they live in America, so we dont have the same bond but I would love to meet them, I think Nana's and grandads can almost be anyone that has a positive input in a childs life. I remember my own mum being Nana to every kid in the street, the good thing children don't judge and they are to young to hate

#71351 - 05/02/06 05:45 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
Di Offline

Thank you, Time on My Hands.I will do my best to"be Nana to every kid in the street, the good thing children don't judge and they are too young to hate" I needed to read that one!

Well...we went to visit the baby last week. And guess what? I did fine! She's such a cutie. I'm so thankful for a DSD who was NOT overly gushy with baby Grace. And DH is so in love w/her, BUT he does NOT miss the newborn "crying". We were only there for a whole day and two half days.

I think once she gets a bit older and adjusts to HER parents, it'll be a more pleasant visit.

Her mom is 34 and her Dad nearly 40. So, they are tired and it shows! my DSD is a good Mommy, very patient and calm. But my SSIL looks a bit strained. He works 12 hour days.

She is pondering whether to have another. I cannot imagine even HAVING that choice,but it's their life! I can't see baby Grace growing up w/out a sibling, but DH says kids are very expensive to raise today.

But,I'm back and feeling good!!

#71352 - 05/02/06 06:01 AM Re: I just became a step-grandma
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So happy to hear that the experience was a pleasant one for you. Hopefully the love will grow for her as she grows as is able to show you her love for you too...Kids just love their Grandmas, you'll see!

[ May 01, 2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved