The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#132998 - 11/28/07 01:33 AM Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Thanks to all who participated in my survey last summer! Below is a summary of the results. If you would like a PDF with all the nitty-gritty, send me an email or PM.

Casey

According to the census (last available data from 1999), the majority of men are married to women within one year of their own age. Yet many men and women do not believe that. In fact, based on the results of a recently completed survey, about half of the people don’t believe that it is true.

What they believe is that men prefer younger women – substantially younger women.

However, based on evidence from the same people, the median difference in age between and a man and a woman when they marry ranges from two to four years. And the average age is 1.2 years, with the man being older.

But wait, they say! That may be true when people are younger, but not when they get older in mid-life.

Yes, it’s different, but not in the way that people believe. In the age range from 45 to 54, the median difference was 0 and on average, women were about a month younger than the men that they married. In the age range from 55 to 65? Men were, on average a year and a half younger than the women that they married. The median difference was also 0.

#132999 - 11/28/07 05:36 AM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: Casey]
mrs_madness Offline

Loc: Moscow
Perhaps your PDF has valuable nitty gritty, because I see some weakness in your survey answers, primarily the connection with attractive preferances and the consclusions that always included marriage rates.

I think many older men are not interested in marriage. Anecdotally, all of the older single men I am acquainted with are dating women 10 to 20 years younger than they are. Most of them have no intention nor interest in marrying these women.

I'm not sure that marriage statistics accurately represent the preference of older men.

#133000 - 11/28/07 04:12 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: mrs_madness]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
mrs madness i may be wrong but i think casie is talking about people alreadie married, and not people of whatever age marrieing or more pricislie datting with or without any intension to marrie. Might be diffrent if one is married as to weather one could be bothered to date and look for a partner to marrie in later yrs.

#133002 - 11/28/07 09:22 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: ]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
A wife should never have to or even attempt to compete with another woman, no matter what age. A wife just is!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#133003 - 11/28/07 11:48 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: Dianne]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, the women and men who got married in the 45-54 range were also within a year or two with each other.

The original question was, are men ONLY interested in substantially younger women. Most people feel the way you do, Mrs. Madness, that they are. And perhaps they have their "flings." But when it comes down to getting married, which is the only thing that I looked at, they marry close to their own age.

This is an informal survey, not something vetted by Pew Research or something! :-)) But I did find it interesting that respondents were split 50-50 on the accuracy of the statement and it didn't matter if they were married to someone older, younger or not married at all. Their education didn't matter. Their age at the time of marriage didn't matter. In all groups, they were split 50-50 on the veracity of the statement.

But the data of those very same people shows different facts.

#133004 - 11/29/07 05:05 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: Casey]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
attitude still showed this too be true or thought to be true, when in fact it wasen't is still prettie telling casey. Informal or not its an intresting subject or area within a subject.

#133006 - 12/01/07 03:08 AM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: ]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
On what planet was this study conducted? Was Los Angeles included? Men I know at work are either marrying or dating women 20 years younger than they are, except for one who is with a woman 10 years older than he is (she's 35 and he's 25).

Younger women make older men feel younger and more attractive. Nobody's looking for me at the age of 60. I don't seem to fit in anybody's demographic. Men my age are looking for 30-year olds.
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#133008 - 12/01/07 04:22 AM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: ]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Anne, I can understand your thoughts. I'm still "seeing" a guy half my age. Mentally I fight it all the time, but darn it, I like him. And he makes no secret of the fact that he likes me.

The other night he came over for dinner and I pulled out the food processor. He smiled and said "my grandmother has one just like that." And I replied, "Sweetie, I got this when I got married the first time, before you were born." And we both laughed.

It is what it is. No, it most likely won't last, and we both know that. But for now we're both getting something we need out of it.

Twenty years from now, I do not want ot look back and say "geez, I wish I'd done that." And I'm not just talking about relationships here, but life. It's short. Enjoy the good times, those memories help get through the bad times.

Interesting study Casey. I'd love to find a guy close to my age. Truthfully, I've been looking for years. They're either all alot younger, or alot older, which is probably why I'm still single.

Whirlwind

#133010 - 12/02/07 04:38 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: ]
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The "just do it" feeling is very powerful with me. I've been determined my entire life to get as much out of it as possible. Much of that comes from seeing my parents save and struggle for years to get to the right point to retire and enjoy themselves, then daddy got sick and died before they could make any of it happen. That affected me in a big way.

I don't want to hijack Casey's post any more than I already have. So if you get a chance, look at my "2008 Is Right Around The Corner" post in the singles section. It ties into the "don't want to have any regrets" thoughts.

Now back to Casey's survey. I have a question. The info shows that people tend to "hook up" with people of a similar age. But is there any info as to where most of these folks meet? It is usually through friends, is the on-line internet thing thriving (I know of several success stories), or ???? Just curious, wondering if there's a common thread there as well, or if the stories are as numerous as the stars.

Whirlwind

#133012 - 12/02/07 07:39 PM Re: Survey Results: Do Men Prefer Younger Women [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I met a guy one time because the anxious cashier ran up HIS stuff with mine...and I said, "Hey, no problem, he wanted to pay for my stuff anyway," and then I looked at him and said, "right?" He said, "Yes, if I can have her phone number." I wasn't expecting that. Everybody in line waited anxiously for me to reply.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved