The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#70506 - 02/14/06 12:59 AM renting out a room
Deda Offline

Loc: NC
Have any of you rented a room out to help with expenses and/or for companionship? If so how did you go about it?

I have two extra rooms, and while I enjoy being alone during the day, at night I crave someone to talk to besides my dog. And I had the flu this week and those first couple of days when I felt like I was dying I couldn't help thinking - what if? It would be nice to know if I keeled over someone would call the ambulance.

I live in a pretty isolated place - and love it. But, if I found a person who I wouldn't drive crazy, and vice a versa I'd give it a try.

Thing is I have the house furnished, so I wouldn't want to have to find room for someone's furniture, outside their room. And what to do about cooking, groceries, cleaning up, etc. Would it be more complicated to be worth it?

#70507 - 02/14/06 01:29 AM Re: renting out a room
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Deda, I've had a few experiences with people living with me.

The first was with the daughter of a friend and we had a great time together. We lived together for about 3 years and most of the time I enjoyed living with her, but I got tired of being mommy to a grown woman. We left on good terms, but I was ready for her to leave.

Another time I had a battered woman live with me while she (I thought) was getting her life together. That was a bad experience because she wasn't even looking for a job. I didn't expect any contribution from her, but I did expect her to work towards her financial independence. I asked her to leave, mainly because she cut my phone cord.... [Eek!] [Confused]

You may be able to find a college student or someone like that who doesn't have too much stuff. One thing I discovered is that I don't want another woman decorating my house. You have to establish the rules before you make a decision to bring a person into your home. Get to know that person as much as possible. Ask every question you can think of.

Daisygirl

#70508 - 02/14/06 04:39 AM Re: renting out a room
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Look for an older lady thats looking for a room only, that means she has nothing to bring but personal things....Get some credit application forms from the local form place and have each potential renter fill it out and CHECK references. Tell credit checks that you are a landlord checking and they should be very helpful You need someone that is either employed or on Soc. Sec. or independently secure. Also ask them about family, married - okay where is the ex? Children - okay where are they? You don't want someone with a ton of baggage. Ask for 3 personal references and CHECK. After all you are trusting someone with the keys to your home...I did it and it worked out very well. Do not be afraid to ask questions, if they get upset, take a pass on that person....Good luck!
Oops, almost forgot, if they date the rule thats bestand safest is NO MEN brought home ever...

[ February 13, 2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#70509 - 02/14/06 04:34 PM Re: renting out a room
Deda Offline

good advice girls. I appreciate it. I am leaning toward the student idea - there is a seminary close by and a junior college. That way its temporary, and I figure they won't have a lot of stuff.

While the older person also seems like a good idea, I guess I am selfish in that I don't want to end up being a caretaker. Guess it depends on how old is to old.

#70510 - 02/15/06 04:56 AM Re: renting out a room
chatty lady Offline
Writer

How funny Deda, I didn't mean to look in the local Nursing Home for a renter, or a hospice. I mean someone of your own age so you have things in common, someone looking for the same thing as you, a companion. both with money in mind....A student is good but then you won't have as much in common unless he/she needs a mommy away from home. It is a help with finances however whatever way you go...You don't need a lease either just go month to month...

[ February 15, 2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#70511 - 02/15/06 12:02 PM Re: renting out a room
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
My advice is never meet them at your home. I
had roommates in the past. I always met them in a local restaurant. If I felt uncomfortable, they needn't know where I live. I was so sick of women, I finally took in a male. We've been married now for 20 years! After I kept hooking him up with my friends.! And a 2nd husband
was not what I was looking for!!! Almost forgot,
if you take in a student or female, put a chain on your bedroom door. Have them pay first, last and security and give them a short term lease.

#70512 - 02/17/06 08:52 AM Re: renting out a room
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Listen to Patti and you may end up with a spouse!

Deda, do you know anyone who works at the seminary or college? You might feel more safe if you asked them to get the word out for you. Be careful!

#70513 - 02/18/06 01:13 AM Re: renting out a room
Deda Offline

Yes, I have already asked my friend whose is a teacher at the seminary to keep his ears and eyes open.

That tip about meeting them away from the house is good. I had not thought of that. Thanks!

No, please. I don't want a husband - then he'll want to live here rent free!!!

#70514 - 02/25/06 02:09 AM Re: renting out a room
chatty lady Offline
Writer

A female resident a couple of homes down from mine rented a room to a gentleman of avanced years, several months ago. The terms were he would pay a small amount of rent plus he would do handy man things for her. Talk about luck out, the man is quiet, friendly, very neat and he so far has fixed and painted her porch, retiled her bathroom and moved everything in the entire home and waxed all the wood floors. She is thrilled and he has offered to come do some painting for me (paid for of course.) Thats what I need a handyman...

#70515 - 02/25/06 05:52 AM Re: renting out a room
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
My mother rented rooms out during WW11 to help pay the rent on the house and food for my brother and I . One gal played the cello and there were about three of them . They stayed until my father came home from the war.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved