The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#160161 - 09/17/08 11:27 PM WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
What are your deal breakers? What are you willing to compromise or not compromise on?

#160226 - 09/18/08 06:19 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: ]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Hmmm, cyclinggal, you are full of inquisitiveness today LOL.

For me, it's adultery or lying/cheating in any way, for any reason.

Also if that person lacked clear, defined boundaries in their lives would be a deal breaker for me too. (Bad boundaries for me means things such as needy behavior, passive-aggressiveness, insecurity issues, refusal to understand how their behavior affected others, etc.)

#160274 - 09/19/08 12:58 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: keyholes]
cyclinggal Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Keyholes - I totally agree on the adultery/lying issue. You brought up a good point about "refusal to understand how their behavior affects others".

I absolutely must have respect. If I became involved with a man, I would have to really "like and respect" him -- his character, values, outlook on life, etc. -- and I would want him to look at those things in me.

#160275 - 09/19/08 01:32 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: cyclinggal]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I agree with the "A" and lying issues. Yet, I've evolved from being scared of being alone to being scared of ensnaring myself in erroneous choices.

My ex would often say its all about money with me (I'd put it away for the future, use coupons, sales, watch the meter, etc.); yet, he sure spent a lot of money on himself, i.e., Harleys, vehicles, cothes, women, booze, etc. I now finally have my own horse (stable boarded) and home and hope we can both be on the same property some day.

I lost my career and retirement. Yet, I'm recovering. Although he made more money than I, somehow he was the freeloader. He lives alone in a 3200 sf home with new Harleys and HD Ford Truck, divorced 4X, and sits at his personal bar until drunk each night (or looking for sex partners on the web). I don't have much, but less is MORE!

#160288 - 09/19/08 06:38 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: ]
keyholes Offline

That is ironic MG that your ex said the same thing about you and money as mine did to me.

We made pretty much the same salary, and we had a pretty good life together...nice, large, 4 bed home, wooded acre lot, nice suburb home and the kids had a good childhood. I was proud of that and loved my life. But somewhere my ex thought it was about me and money. I think it was about him and looking to lay the blame for his problems on me.

But yes...LESS is often so much more. I feel "lighter" now that all I have to carry are my burdens...financial, emotional, physical. There is a lot more room for a lot more life, fun, and love now!!

#160292 - 09/19/08 08:03 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: keyholes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
These last two posts need to hit the headlines for women who are afraid to leave abusive marriages. I'm not insinuating that you were in abusives marriages, I jsut think women need to know what freedom feels like, and that less IS more!

#160496 - 09/21/08 10:34 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I would agree that for women to seriously understand how to manage and invest their finances on their own is very helpful for long-term planning and independence...either as single, even married when you wish to do something on your own that requires money and later in retirement years when no man or other partner is in your life to share financial responsibilities.

I am actually intrigued how little BMWs women here discuss at a general level about financial planning..and how to make wise investments. Some of it is not rocket science but does require a change in lifestyle, priorities and discipline. Yes, having less material stuff..is just better.

#160498 - 09/21/08 10:53 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have to have real, honest to God, love.
The rest seems to come along as I need it.
Dancer, dreamer who found her dream

"Question your privilege"

#160511 - 09/21/08 11:50 PM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Honesty is a must for me in all aspects of a relationship. Also complete devotion, my two husbands both looked at me like starving men looking at a juicy steak. I loved that look and knowing how much I was loved and wanted.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160534 - 09/22/08 02:05 AM Re: WHAT I MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE IN A RELATIONSHIP [Re: Dotsie]
keyholes Offline

Dotsie, that "abusive relationship" thing is difficult to define. A person may not have bumps or bruises but can have many emotional or mental scars from someone who becomes mentally, verbally, or emotionally abusive. There is such a thing in my eyes as emotional or verbal abuse. We have to be aware of it and not let that person victimize us. If someone inflicts abuse on anyone, no matter what kind (physical, verbal, mental, emotional) has serious problems that are coming out in all the wrong way. Usually they are related to their own past (maybe they experienced abuse as a child) or addiction/alcoholism. They are acting out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved