The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#180054 - 04/12/09 09:14 PM Little Lucky
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I wanted to take a break from the quilt and tell you about a little rabbit we've adopted. Last weekend my SIL shot a rabbit...I pitched a fit when I found out...Larry said he was tired of the rabbits eating his blue berry bushes and that there were about 100 rabbits in the woods...to which I said, 'what good is shooting one going to do if there are 100 more?' I suggested he put up a fance around the blue berry bushes the way he has a fance up around the vegetable garden...to which I got a 'yeah right' look as he and Grady stuffed rabbit into freezer bags. Three days ago Larry was outside and saw Molly, our dog playing with something...Larry couldn't see but all of a sudden it started running around and Larry realized it is a tiny baby rabbit. He managed to catch it, put it in a bucket and brought it to me. I looked at Larry and said "it's an orphan of the rabbit Grady killed the other day!", snatched the bucket from Larry and brought the scared bunny inside. It had a bloody eye from being mauled by Molly but the rest of him seemed okay...poor little thing was scared half to death. Over the past few days I've managed to keep the bunny alive and I've named him Lucky...he is currently living in a small bathroom and is eating and drinking and coping quite well. I try to handle him as little as possible as I hope to return him to the woods as soon as he's old enough. I found out that the white spot on its forehead is an indicator for release...when it is almost gone he's old enough to return to the wild. For now, though, he's got a peaceful existence in our bathroom and dog free...Molly did have a bed in the shower stall but I booted her out until Lucky makes a full recovery. I'm going to send Edelweiss a photo of Lucky and ask if she'll post his photo on the pictures post for me...I still am unable to do that on this computer...Lucky is the cutest little bunny and I hope you can see his photos.
Has anyone else had an experience of rescuing a baby rabbit?

#180500 - 04/19/09 02:08 PM Re: Little Lucky [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I like your thinking. What good will it do to shoot one, when
there's 100. Glad you told Grady to put a fence 'round his
blue berry bushes. Way to go!

#180525 - 04/20/09 01:17 PM Re: Little Lucky [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dee,
I love all animals. Perhaps that comes with being raised on
a dairy farm. Animals don't have any hidden agenda. Their love
is pure!

#180843 - 04/25/09 12:53 AM Re: Little Lucky [Re: jabber]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Jabber...You're right...animals don't have any hidden agenda's...they are pure and as God made them. It was my hubby Larry who was fussing about his blue berry bushes. Larry was raised with a dad who saw animals as something to eat or hurt with...nothing affectionate...so Larry has had to look at them differently being married to me. For instance, today he found where a house wren had built her nest in a mop on the car port...not a good place for her to have her babies and I asked Larry if he'd move the nest two feet higher up on the top of a cabinet he has on the carport...perhaps she'd go there. Leaving it on the mop head means certain death to any babies that may hatch when laid. Not to mention they're right by where we walk and enter/exit our car...Larry said to leave it and let mother nature take its course. I looked at him and smiled..."I'm a Mother, too". So, after he left for work I moved the nest and removed the mop. I could not stand it if the wren laid eggs, they hatched and a cat or Molly or snake attacked them...Not good. The worst thing that happens now is she won't go to her nest and will build it somewhere else.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved