The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147900 - 05/05/08 10:49 PM vet bills
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know you all love your pets and want them to have the best care, regardless of cost. yet, have you ever been overcharged for tests not done or overcharged for tests?

my horse vet charged me $15 to tell me that my horses teeth were good; yet, 3 weeks later, horse dentist said otherwise and corrected for $65. also, horse vet charged $45 for physical exam and all she did was pinch a piece of skin!

now i know there is no other horse vet in my local area and i don't have a trailer to transport him across counties to another; yet, this is ridiculous!

my horse has been sick 2x at stable, so i moved him to new stable. it is the vet bills that occured at old stable that i dispute. i think i was taken advantage of, but can't prove it. i phoned today to pay and the reception told me that they (the vets of which there are 4) make it up along the way. now i've pissed them off and should my horse get sick again, i'm certain they would not respond or charge me 2 or 3x the normal charge. the receptionist will consult with vet, yet says if i don't pay, they'll not visit me again. this vet has sent my coggins to the wrong address and has been known to run unnecessary test -- yet no formal complaint. jeez, also they know my parent has been hospital bound lately and i think they took advantage of that, too. just had to vent. don't want anything to happen to my horse, either.

#156432 - 08/14/08 10:48 PM Re: vet bills [Re: ]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Oh Girl, vet medicine is truly big business now. I don't even want to say what I have spent in the past year for my good old companion, Maggie (canine) but wouldn't disparage any of it a bit. It is what it is nowadays. Large animals must truly be a big ballgame and I have no knowledge of their concerns or costs, but know, incrementally, it must be horrendous... When DH and I raised Irish and English setters(BC) about 30 or less years ago, we had at one time 23 of them, and the vet was a 45 min. drive away, but the costs were nominal for any and all care, everyday and emergency, and we got our vaccines from him and syringes and did our own shots- you could do that back then. Of course vet med wasn't so fine tuned as it is today, and the services they do offer is with a cost- but how do you put a price point on an animal you love and care for?.

I hate that your horse has been sick,and you've been thru so much- both of you- and it sure sounds like the vet associated with the previous stable in in business with them and trying to take an easy route. I really hate that, but I don't think vet med is like taking the code for an MD (first, do no harm...) or maybe it is, I don't know (we've been blessed with a really good vet that is the pillar of reliance and trust) but it has gotten lucrative with all the med costs, the fees and whatall- ....keep up on them and don't relent! Your animals are an important part of your life. Fight for their rights! They should understand your situation, and no worries about venting, that is what these formats are here for- it's a lifesaver sometimes when you get to the end of your rope!

#157130 - 08/22/08 05:06 AM Re: vet bills [Re: judym]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Since Tuesday night I spent over $800 to find out what was wrong with my daughters cat. Overnight in the emergency pet clinic with x-rays and meds and staying overnight. That was $433.00. Then to the vet for ultrasound and meds $356.00.

We brought him home and went to our vet and it cost me $65 to put him down and I'm still going to pay $130 for cremation and getting his ashes back.

I wouldn't not pay the fees, but they are so high it's hard to understand why. I totally understand how you feel.
www.tidedancer.com

#157141 - 08/22/08 08:47 AM Re: vet bills [Re: Sandpiper]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
From someone that has worked for over forty years now with vets of all types and experience. They ALL know what our pets mean to us and there is NO regulation on what a vet can charge, most, not all, are pigs, they take full advantage of us especially if they are the only show in town so to speak. If there is an SPCA or ASPCA anywhere near you, take your pets to them for care. They are wonderful animal lovers and charge minimal fee's and DO NOT cause our babies more fear or suffering with unecessary tests etc... Buy Pet Insurance, it is not a luxury but a life and money saver when needed. I have it and it saved me over a thousand dollars already on sick babies.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157232 - 08/23/08 01:33 AM Re: vet bills [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Well, when it comes to livestock, I have no choice. However, I take the dawg and 2 kitties to a mobile pet med for their yearly shots which cost 1/3 of visiting a vet's office.

#157249 - 08/23/08 12:15 PM Re: vet bills [Re: ]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I'm so glad to see this thread. I think it's a horror what people have to pay for their beloved pets. When there are those who cannot afford the extensive stuff, their pets suffer or get put to sleep earlier than necessary. It's really sad.

#157517 - 08/25/08 06:22 PM Re: vet bills [Re: Sandpiper]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
I'm sorry for the hard decision you had to make for your cat, I know what you are going thru. With the tests to determine her status for dear Mags, and the euthanasia for the outcome, and the cremation my bill for those 2 harrowing days came to over 700. A hard way to put a price on a beloved pet. If only the pet health insurance was available when she was younger- but I do know that has limitations. If I were a new pet owner I would certainly get it. But I am sad for your loss. Our pets are part of our lives, and it is such a hard thing when they are seriously and terminally ill. My youngest son gave me some wise( for his age) consolation: Mom, when you have a pet you make an agreement with them that whenever they are too ill to continue, you will do the right thing by them and not make them suffer unduly. They have given you the best parts of their lives and been a companion to you thru thick and thin, and you owe them the right thing when their lives become too painful or illness takes over. They wouldn't want you to be suffering or burdened with their illness, pets only live to give joy to their owners.

It is just a shame that vet med has gotten so expensive for everyone.

#157530 - 08/25/08 07:07 PM Re: vet bills [Re: judym]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JudyM, your son sounds like a very intelligent and feeling young man...He's absolutely correct in what he said.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#157701 - 08/26/08 09:00 PM Re: vet bills [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I recall mentioning our recent vet scare. I'll repeat again how important it is to get another opinion. It saved us hundreds of dollars in tests and medicine (which our dog didn't even need).

#160554 - 09/22/08 10:08 AM Re: vet bills [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
For those who has lost pets, my heart understand your heaviness...for those who have had high vet bills, I understand the frustration. My pet dog, Molly, costs more to care for than Larry and I do..it's nuts!

I changed vets recently because I felt I was being over charged...I found a vet closer to my home and whose prices are a bit less and whose compassion is a lot more.

I know the price we pay for loving and having animals is that one day we'll have to see them leave...and it hurts a lot...but, oh the joy while they're here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved