The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 221 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156418 - 08/14/08 08:30 PM My dear companion and bestest friend
judym Offline

Loc: AL
My dear old Maggie had to be put down yesterday, and I am really bleeding in my heart and soul about it even though the vet and staff were very supportive. Mags was 15 going on 16, she was a cocker-retriever mix and she was our youngest son's desire for his 11th birthday. I have written about her travails and mine frequently here, older pets are a whole 'nother ballgame. I feel in a good place about doing what I had to do since she had no quality of life, and she was very ill with kidney failure, but I still keep looking for her and we live in a doggy neighborhood- I hear barks and yips and my ears perk up. Last night (after the fact of having to put her down) I heard my neighbors' dogs yipping- like she would do when she slept and dreampt- and that was it for sleeping for me. I just HAD to look under the bed, and outside even knowing better. Mags has always been my good companion especially when DH travels and is away - and the kids grew up and left home- she was my companion in so many ways. Her health was a cautious issue for the last couple years- everything seemed to be aspected to a cascading effect with her health. I knew when she took ill Mon. nite it wasn't a good thing- and to the vets Tues. and thank goodness the vet that has seen her since we brought her home was available- they did xrays for cancerous aspects (she had her sr. workup every 2 yrs. since 13) and her white count was off the charts. He said if she did get thru this latest impact, having serious kidney problems, she wouldn't last too long. All the people that knew her and cared for her were there, as I was, when I had to do the right thing for her. I know I did the right thing for her but I am so raw with feeling for her. Every night, since she has started to have problems, I prayed she would just go in a gentle sleep. I could have dealt with that better. But as my youngest said, his puppy originally and mine shortly thereafter and so glad for that- when you take a pet, you have to make an agreement for when they get to a point in their lives they have no quality of life, and you have to do the right thing by them. Dear Old Maggie had a good life, and she was well cared for and much loved by us all, especially me. I sure hope this hurt gets over soon. I've lost both my parents and I almost hate to say this, but this is almost as painful for me. 15 yrs. is a long time, and she and I knew one another. She couldn't see or hear much but she always let me know if someone was at the door or in the yard. And she Loved to ride in the car, which we did as often as possible.

Sorry to run on so, I know many of you have been in the same circumstances, and it's surely not easy. Thanks for letting me vent.

#156420 - 08/14/08 09:20 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: judym]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I'm so sorry for your loss, Judy. It is hard to say good-bye to our beloved pets.

#156424 - 08/14/08 10:31 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: Cookie]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
thank you for your understanding. It really is hard, but I know she had a good long life and I know I did the right thing for her. Before she had the procedure, I spent a long time with her holding her and talking to her, about what a good dog and friend, and a protector and a stalwart spirit she was,told her about all I appreciated in our lives together- and I wanted her passage to be easy. She was very medicated but we did connect in her eyes and I think she gave me permission to do what needed to be done- she was just so sick and hurting, it was such a painful thing. But she was true to her last, a good true friend. Everyone that has a pet should know that kind of love, it's not like any other.

#156734 - 08/18/08 07:01 AM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: judym]
AdornmentsMilani Offline

Loc: California
Sorry to hear about your furbaby:( They become such a part of our everyday lives that when they are no longer around, their absence is truly felt. We put our Malamute down 4 years ago and we still don't have the heart to get rid of his old dog house. Hope you find some solace in knowing that she is no longer in pain.

#156736 - 08/18/08 11:54 AM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: judym]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
judy,
I'm sorry for your loss. I put my Shadow on February 28th back in 2007. My heart still bleeds. She was 15 years old, a rescue, mixed lab and border collie. I've owned dogs all my life but Shadow was the sweetest animal I've ever seen. She never did anything wrong. She was so loving. I do find solace in knowing she's in heaven. But some things you never get over. I've said it before and will say it again, "You learn to live with the heartache; remember the good times; and get all the enjoyment you can out of today."

#156738 - 08/18/08 12:03 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Judy, I know how difficult this was for you and am happy that you were able to hold her and be with her during the procedure.

It's been a long while now, but I will never forget my much loved dog, Charlie, that I had to put down because of a bad heart and inoperable cancer. It was difficult, but I knew it was the best for him.

Until I moved, a couple of years later, I felt his presence in so many ways. Often, I would find the shower curtain pulled back when I returned home from work. He liked to sleep in the tub during the day. I know that his spirit visited me often.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#156740 - 08/18/08 12:09 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: Anno]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anno,
That's cute, the shower curtain pulled back: He liked to sleep in the tub. You gotta love it! I remember every dog I ever had since childhood, with much fondness. I loved them all and am looking forward to seeing them again, over the rainbow bridge. Hope you and Dennis are doing okay.
Prayers and blessings...

#156748 - 08/18/08 01:25 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Judym, I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets become members of the family, like people, the kind that never give us any trouble, only all their love. I have had my Reeta and Rosee now for 11 years and still cry over my Tweekee and Daisy who died nearly 12 years ago now. They are buried in the back yard under a beautiful flowering bush. She is still here for you in spirit as mine are for me. I truly believe that.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#156753 - 08/18/08 01:41 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

Judym
this is a sad time.The pet a loved child has welds into themShares their days and so becomes linked with everyday life.
You will miss the precious pet and all pet lovers understand.
I love spaniels.
mountain ash

#156756 - 08/18/08 03:05 PM Re: My dear companion and bestest friend [Re: Mountain Ash]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
My sincere condolences, Judy. This touches my heart deeply as I have loved and lost many a pet over the years. They are the saddest days of my life. Take heart in knowing your spaniel had a long life with quality and loved you dearly, I'm sure. I often would go into a pet loss forum and express my grief for a few days. I've even memorialized them online which was healing for me. Yes, as Mountain Ash said, all pet lovers understand...and we do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved