The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#154475 - 07/24/08 01:50 PM Our baby
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Well, she's actually almost 12. She's been such a healthy dog forever. Last week, when in for grooming, they updated her shots. For some reason they also did a little exam, which we hadn't approved. They called to say she had a heart murmur. On a scale of 1-6, it was a 3. They wanted to do a panel of tests that would cost $400.00. I said no thanks. We ahve another vet we take her to and I wnated him to check her out.

I took her yesterday. He listened and said it was a 1 on a scale of 1-6 and that he didn't need to do anything about it. How about that? He chareged us for a little check-up and we never had to spend that $400.00.

I share this so you get second opinions for your pets. We do it for ourselves, but we should also do it for them.

She did however, have to have a tumor removed from her leg. Poor thing. She's moving in s l o w motion with a little bandage on her leg. She can't be let out in the yard to run. We have to keep her on a leash while outside for ten days. She's going to feel like a trapped rat. No long walks either. I'm hoping she won't feel up to it, but I have a feeling that later today she's going to have her normal energy back and be raring to go. Time will tell.

#154476 - 07/24/08 02:13 PM Re: Our baby
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dotsie, I'm so sorry your poor little baby had to have a tumor removed from her leg. But, at least it was caught early. She'll get used to being sedentary and then will be happy again when she gets to walk.

Most definitely, what an example of getting a second opinion. We should all take it to heart. For ourselves and for our pets.

Thanks for the reminder. Glad it all turned out well for you!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#154477 - 07/24/08 04:46 PM Re: Our baby [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Oh poor little furbaby! Glad they were able to remove
it and soon she will be so much better. Hugs!

#154478 - 07/24/08 08:45 PM Re: Our baby [Re: diamond50]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dotsie just give Kelly lots of extra spoiling and she will love that, plus a few extra treats will keep her mind off of going out too... Sending big hugs to Miss Kelly for a speedy recovery... Some of these groomer/vet offices are real crooks and shamefully try and bilk as many dog lovers as possible. A second opinion is always a good idea.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#154479 - 07/25/08 02:00 AM Re: Our baby [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Poor little critter. Do you know that the tumor is benign? I never thought of vets being unethical until last year. Our west highland white terrier, the younger one, 3 years old, gets a vaginal infection. Or should I say her vulva. A discharge. Last year, we took her to our regular vet. However, the vet herself was on maternity leave, so we had to see the substitute. Substitute said that the folds of Annie's privates are very deep and prone to infection, so the dog should have an EPISEOTOMY. I don't even know how to spell that. I know it's related to childbirth, and I wouldn't want one. So, we took Annie to another vet, who gave us instructions on how to clean Annie's privates on a daily basis, and apply an oitment. And that, my dear friends, solved the problem. What? Was the substitute trying to impress the regular vet by how many dollars she brought into the practice while the regular vet was on maternity leave? By the way, our sweet little trusting Annie lays on her back on the couch and lets me tend to her delicate area.

#154480 - 07/25/08 07:09 AM Re: Our baby [Re: Princess Lenora]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I have to agree with others....just give Kelly all the little extras and baby her like crazy. It will ease her wanting to run and will make everyone feel good!

#154481 - 07/25/08 11:50 AM Re: Our baby [Re: ladyjane]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Dotsie -- just wanted to tell you, when I took my older beagle (she's 11) in for shots earlier this summer, they did an exam (which they always do at this vet's office when giving shots or whatever) and the vet said "I don't want to scare you but I'm detecting a heart murmer". (Too late, once he said that, I was immediately scared!) He didn't give me any kind of numbers on a scale but said we didn't need to do anything about it. She's always been a really healthy dog too........it kind of freaked me out. But I did a little research online and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth worrying about......still it's good to be aware. He said there was no telling how long she'd had it.
Glad you went for a second opinion!
How's recovery going after having the tumor removed? Don't you hate it when your pets go thru something like this? I hurt when they hurt, I can't stand it, I'd rather be in pain myself than have them hurting.

#154482 - 07/25/08 01:27 PM Re: Our baby [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I think it's great that we can take charge of our pets' medical needs. Some vets, like MD's I suppose, just want to perform something to make money

Interesting how they did an exam w/out your consent. Hmmmm.....Sounds like they were looking for something!!

Poor baby......when they are so active, the do not understand "NO RUNNING". But they do acclimate in ways that we cannot imagine!

#154483 - 07/25/08 03:44 PM Re: Our baby [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Please give Kelly and big hug and kiss from Wild Bill, Jabber and Xena. We I love dogs. And we're sorry she had a problem area on her leg. Hope it completely heals, faster than the speed of light. BOWWOW 2 your baby girl!!!

#154484 - 07/28/08 01:38 PM Re: Our baby [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Princess, every doctor has a different opinion. Amazing, isn't it?

Corssstitch, glad to hear you've chosen not to worry aobut it. Our dontor said that when we begin to notice her coughing a bit, we should bring her in for tests. He said it might not be for a couple years. So pay attention to any coughing.

Kelly is doing well. We get the biopsy results tonight. I feel fine aobut it because she really has been herself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved