The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 88 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#83610 - 07/25/06 05:09 PM elderly dog with seperation anxiety
judym Offline

Loc: AL
dear ladies, seperation anxiety from my dear old dog is driving me round the bend. Maggie is a 13 yr. old retriever-cocker mix, a pet originally for our youngest son's, rescued from the shelter for his 8th birthday (Momma, I just HAVE to have a puppy - you know how that ends up utimately)Maggie has been "my" dog for the last 12 yrs. She is getting up in age, very healthy considering, all senior workups at the vets and regular checkups, but doesn't see well or hear well, and although my vet has her on Clomicalm, she is just unplacatable when I have to leave the house. All the "puppy prozac" does is make her drowsy in the afternoons (like a baby taking a nap, getting stuff done while they sleep - that is how I liken that). When I take my morning walk, I hear her howling from the inside of the closed up house all the way down the block.She can't walk along, she is too distracted for a walk you take for healthy measures. She gets good exercise in the backyard when she goes out. She is in very fine physical shape, considering, but her mind is fuzzy. She is really not well socialized, a failing of mine for sure. I have tried confining her,crate or baby gate in the kitchen when I need to be out for a day, to no avail - even if she has had walkies she still finds something to pee on - worse if she isn't confined, she pees on the sofa (leather, yikes) or my bed worse!! I am at my wits end with her and I hate being ill with her - but I am tired of going out and finding her all in a froth about me not being here when I get home. What can I do - do any of you have any suggestions? Another dog to keep her company isn't really an option - my hubby is overseas in Iraq, and I have my plate full as is trying to keep the threads of life together. We have a few cats too but they are cats, and not as needy always. Give me your feedback, ladies- I am desperate. We have always had dogs, raised and showed Irish Setters back in our younger days (BC) and we've had a number of geriatric dogs in our family, but none has been as hard to deal with as our Mags. I love her, she is such a good friend, and I hate to see her all in a lather when I have to be out of the house, and I just don't know what else to do either than confine and meds. If any of you have had a problem like this, please give me your take on it. Thanks for your help!

#83611 - 07/25/06 08:40 PM Re: elderly dog with seperation anxiety [Re: judym]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
judym, you may think I've gone round the bend with this advice but have you ever thought of a sitter? Yes, I realize she is a dog but she doesn't know it and a sitter there to talk to her and keep her company would put an end to the problems, all of them. A nice older lady who maybe also needs some company would be nice. It is worth the small money it might cost in stress relief alone. Lets face it she is old and won't be around forever. Just a thought. Stay away from medicating a healthy animal its cruelty....

Edited by chatty lady (07/25/06 08:41 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83612 - 07/25/06 09:04 PM Re: elderly dog with seperation anxiety [Re: chatty lady]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Actually I have thought along those lines, but there aren't many venues to go to here with that - I'd like someone bonded and insured for sure..and being home alone right now with hubby away, I am being cautious in all things...right now the only aspect is meds and staying close to home. My big worry is an upcoming trip abroad to join hubby on his next furlough. Mags doesn't do well at the vets and I just have to board her...no other option available. I'd love someone to be here with her the whole time but that's not an option. I am kind of up and down with the cruelty issue - if if DOES help her some it will lessen her stress that is not unkind, but it doesn't seem to help her a lot, and the vet has been of no help for alternate suggestions. I'd just like to be able to go out and know she was not in such a froth. When I get back in, she hardly recognizes me for a beat or two, often I have to go up to her and touch her to get her attention - and then it's like "oh yeah, mom's back" even if I have been only gone for 30 minutes. I am really upset for her, maybe it's doggie Alzheimers or whatever, and I am trying to do my best here. Thanks for any and all input.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved