The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#68346 - 11/11/05 09:49 PM Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
ladybug Offline

I noticed dark specks in my cat Benny's fur about one to two months after going to the groomers. He was a stray more than two years ago but prior to going to the groomers I never saw fleas in his fur. I brush him almost daily and because he's snow white except for a black tail I'm sure I would've seen this before. A neighbor told me that groomers give pets a "pill" to prevent fleas from spreading to other pets but I'm skeptical about this and have never heard of it. I've got Frontline drops on him now and that seems to have eliminated them. I really liked taking him to the groomers because they also clip his nails. Also, has anyone ever tried those plastic nail caps? Do they stay on and really work? I keep looking at them at PetsMart but don't know anyone who has used them. My friend's cats are all declawed.

#68347 - 11/11/05 11:12 PM Re: Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Hey Ladybug, use the Frontline instead of the pill- it works a lot better. It's the stuff you put on the back of their neck about once a month. Its eradicated fleas at my house.

Kelly

#68348 - 11/11/05 11:20 PM Re: Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
ladybug Offline

Kelly, I am using Frontline drops. The pill I mentioned is something my neighbor said a groomer uses to keep fleas off customers pets. I've never heard of a groomer giving a customer's pet a pill. Did your vet also give you a carpeting spray? I spent $15.00 for a can of spray which I still haven't used. The Frontline drops did seem to eliminate the fleas. Are you continuing to use the drops for the winter as well? I really want to make sure they're totally gone.

#68349 - 06/18/06 09:49 PM Re: Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
Scissorart Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Well although this is a very old topic, it still is relevant. The pill is called Capstar. The vet I worked for used it on any dog with fleas that came in. It is under $10. It is safe as far as I know but it only kills fleas for 24 hours. So if you have fleas in your yard it won't prevent them after that 24 hours. The capstar used once on the same day as Frontline is very effective. You may also need to treat your yard and house. Read up on this as I don't think you can treat your house if you have birds. You can put Frontline on but you really need to kill all the fleas everywhere to end the cycle. I realize that maybe in rare cases your dog may get fleas from the groomer, but it may just be a coincidence that she got them around the same time. If your groomer is clean I highly doubt the cat got them from there. Does the cat go outside? Do you have a dog where it could have brought them in. Humans can even bring fleas in on their clothes from outside. I think if you are afraid it was the groomer, just keep going and use the Frontline for prevention or try another shop. It may not have been the groom shop at all. Groomers get blamed for alot of things, our fault or not. I hope this answerd the pill question. [Wink]

[ June 18, 2006, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Scissorart ]

#68350 - 06/18/06 11:43 PM Re: Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have done a lot of research into Capstar as I was thinking about using this as a only flea prevention in my shop. I don't like the dip fumes, and flea shampoo works well but with capstar the fleas can stay off for 24 hours giving customers the chance to treat their house too. Anyway there has been no known incidence of any animal having a reaction to Capstar anywhere. There have been plenty of animals react to dips or shampoo, so that's another good point in the favor of Capstar. Where I live the pill is only 2 or 3 dollars at the vet, you can give your kitty the pill when you take her to the groomer, and even if there is a flea exposure the flea will die. Oh, also it is highly unlikely that you first started noticing fleas on a white cat that you brush daily, one or 2 months after a grooming. You would have noticed them within days. Groomers do tend to catch the blame a lot for pretty much everything, that is a big downside to grooming.

[ June 18, 2006, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: CanineDesign ]

#68351 - 06/19/06 07:00 AM Re: Has you cat ever gotten fleas at the groomer's?
Kentj1020 Offline

Not sure if you meant you noticed the black dots, referred to as "flea dirt", AFTER a month or two, or FOR a month or two immediately after leaving the groomer?

There is the possibility that the cat picked up fleas in the shop. Was the shop exceptionally clean? In the future, I wouldn't hesitate about asking the shop owner about her extermination habits. We have our exterminator treat monthly for fleas, sometimes twice a month during the height of the season (we are in the south!). I personally have never heard a compliant of fleas after they leave.

I also use Capstar on occasion, but only after obtaining permission from the owner. If, when we begin a bath, notice an infestation, we will call to secure permission first (suggestioning its use). I personally am just not comfortable giving anyone's pet anything orally without the consent of the owner. While I have never heard of a reaction from use of Capstar, there could be a first time, especially if there is a reaction when combined with a particular prescription the pet may be taking.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved