The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#129582 - 10/17/07 05:39 PM Dianne...our Greys!
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I just thought of this when I was posting under your comment in "Grieving Loss of Marriage"....it wasn't really appropriate there!! I have LOVED looking at Sammie's pix...what a love! I (we) have an African Grey, 13 yearold female named Kito. Actually, she was my husband's and came with the package. He hand fed her and she is his and his only! When I first moved in we decided that maybe it would be helpful if I took over her main care (oh sure, he got out of something else!) Anyway, I clean the cage, do the feeding and watering and hand out the "cookies". Still, she would just as soon take my hand off so I'm very careful. She is madly in love with hubby and I think she sees me as an intruder. I just wanted to tell you this....she's lovely and fun and makes us laugh constantly but you and I have very different relationships with our Greys!

#129583 - 10/17/07 08:02 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh yippee...another Grey owner! Sammie doesn't like my husband. They usually choose one family member and that's it. She has jumped off her perch and chased him down the hall. She'd love a piece of him! But, she mainly uses his voice instead of mine and I think it's because she considers him competition.

The other night she flew off her perch and landed on my husband's tummy, as he sat watching tv. They both just stared at each other. I had to quickly jump in before something happened.

The ARE so much fun. Never a dull moment when they are around.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#129584 - 10/17/07 08:36 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: Dianne]
ladyjane Offline

I was at the point about a year ago where she would let me stroke her head through the cage....but it was nerve-wracking because she could be soooo quick! But when Daddy gets home, she absolutely swoons....out she comes for snuggling and kisses. When I walk by she tends to make some very rude noises (hehehehe) but it's still wicked funny!

#129585 - 10/18/07 07:57 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

They really are funny. There isn't a day goes by that Sammie doesn't make me laugh at something.

Maybe you and your husband could set up a rescue situation so she might bond better with you. Like you taking her to the Vet and being the familiar one she wants to go to after her examination.

Sammie makes rude noises too.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#129586 - 10/18/07 08:34 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: Dianne]
ladyjane Offline

You know you're right about the rescue situation. When she's out, there have been a couple of times when she freaked out over one of the cats or a loud noise and flew to the floor (where she does not like to be). I was the only one around and instinctively (although very scared!) I reached down and offered my hand and she climbed right up. She let me take her to her perch again and never threatened to bite me. Any other time she would though!

#129587 - 10/19/07 02:02 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Probably because she was scared. My daughter did the same thing with Sammie once but she bit her before finally getting on her hand! They're moody little creatures, aren't they?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#129588 - 10/19/07 02:59 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: Dianne]
ladyjane Offline

Oh very moody. I accuse Kito of having PMS all the time. And I've been on the receiving end of her mighty beak and it wasn't pleasant so I avoid that now. If you're the love of their life, like you and my hubby, they're sweeties but woe be to the other person(s) in the house! I think we need to get her (her own) man!! You know, last winter she dropped two eggs.....first time ever! Poor thing....I got concerned because I thought there was something seriously wrong with her! When that was over she was fine. I learned that you should let them have their eggs for at least a few days. She gave it 4 days and then got mad and broke them. But there's been nothing since.

#129589 - 10/19/07 06:46 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

How old is Kito? I really had hoped that Sammie was a male so we wouldn't go through the egg thing. I guess they can get egg bound too. Nice!

Sammie has started something new. I have a gal that cleans for me once a week and when she vacuums, Sammie puffs up like a big ball and slings her drinking water at her. I think she's trying to scare her. I have to mop after she vacuums because there is such a mess.

Sammie has bitten me before and very hard! I have to say that she gave me several warnings before and I ignored her so it was my fault. I have a couple of scars.

I had to laugh about her getting mad at the eggs and breaking them!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#129590 - 10/19/07 07:43 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: Dianne]
ladyjane Offline

Kito is 13 years old. Right now she's in the other room whistling one of her made up tunes with the assistance of Nicky, our little peach faced lovebird. Kito's also a water slinger. I always thank her because it means I have to mop up which keeps the floor cleaner! You know, I'd love to know about Sammie's diet. Kito is hopeless. She'd rather have spaghetti and crackers (hubby's fault) than veggies and fruit. She does love grapes and some others but she'll throw things right back at me...carrots, etc. Such a picky bird. Being egg bound is scary. So far so good.

#129591 - 10/20/07 08:56 PM Re: Dianne...our Greys! [Re: ladyjane]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

This is getting weird. I used to own a peach faced lovebird years ago!

Sammie loves pomegranate (sp) brussel sprouts, egg, apple, grapes and avicakes. As you know, Greys tastes change weekly. She loved blueberries at one time but won't touch them now. She loves bacon too but I rarely give her any because of salt. I stopped giving her cheese when the Vet told me it could cause problems if it didn't melt. If it was up to Sammie, she'd be a seed junkie!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved