The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#92287 - 10/19/06 11:36 AM Finding Quality Boarding
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Okay, ya'll know that I love to travel with my dog, Jack and my bird, Bailey.

But, hubby wants to take a trip to the Keys that includes a trip to Ft Jefferson and the Tortugas. We won't be able to bring the animals.

So, I'm faced with the decision of not going on the trip or boarding Jack and Bailey.

I'm not sure if boarding them is going to be harder on me or them. I'm already sick over it and I haven't even done it yet. I'm seeking your help.

What kinds of things should I look for in a good boarding facility?

I want Jack to be comfortable. Not kept in a small crate all day, nor ignored all day either. I want him to have interaction with people and be given the opportunity to play if he wants. (He likes to play frisbee)

I plan on visiting any place I'm interested in to see what their facilities look like and how they work.

I've boarded Jack one other time and it was with our vet. They have concrete (stalls) where each dog resides. It has a closeable opening to the outside kennel. They offer to play with them for an added price. It just seems so stark and cold. He'd be on cold concrete all day and night. Like little jail cells. Jack is used to being cuddled and allowed to sleep on the bed. He spends all his time with me (and me with him) I'm afraid he's going to be really upset and not eat or anything. Will I be putting him through undue stress? I already know I'll be stressed out about it. :-)

So, can you help me figure out what constitutes a good boarding facility?

Thanks.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#92288 - 10/19/06 01:15 PM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, here is a link to the place we leave our dog when we go away:

http://www.countrycomfortkennels.com/

I won't leave her unless she is with them. They have two facilities. Both are great. See what you think.

#92289 - 10/19/06 02:45 PM Re: Finding Quality Boarding
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dotsie, they sound great. Too bad they're not in Tampa. I'm really aprehensive about this. I've been getting some suggestions about a pet sitter instead of boarding Jack. That just opens a whole new anxiety attack about someone coming into the house.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#92290 - 10/19/06 11:07 PM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vicki don't you have anyone like a GOOD neighbor or relative that can come in everyday and visit the animals or even stay there with them? I know for a fact the owners suffer more than the pets do, if boarded in a reputable kennel. Check around though more and more of the home like setting kennels are opening and the animals have interaction and are kept in small suites with beds and pictures etc., not dank concrete enclosures....

Edited by chatty lady (10/19/06 11:08 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#92291 - 10/20/06 01:29 AM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hey...I have a GREAT girlfriend who lives in Tampa that is a house sitter. Would you be interested in talking to her? I would trust her with my grand daughter. Does that tell you about her? JJ

#92292 - 10/20/06 11:49 AM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: jawjaw]
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
I have started using an in-home pet sitting service rather than boarding mine, and my pets much prefer staying home rather than getting drug to the boarders and being cooped up in a cage for several days.

See if there's a group called Critter Sitters in your area. I have used that organization numerous times and always been pleased with the service.

You can also ask your vet for the name of a reliable pet sitter--- they usually know of people who do this who are dependable.

Kelly

#92293 - 10/21/06 01:43 AM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: Kelly L. Adams Stone]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I used critter sitters in our area (Alabama) and was pleased with them. Molly didn't seem any worse for the wear and she got to be around other animals. Ask other people you know who have pets or go yourself and visit the places available. Good luck.

#92294 - 10/21/06 04:58 PM Re: Finding Quality Boarding [Re: Dee]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out Critter Sitters, but hubby and I aren't very keen on someone coming into the house. And, Jack actually might not go for that as he's been "protector" of the home and doesn't like strangers. I didn't socialize him to accept strangers unconditionally. I've researched a few places that are more "spa/kennel" type locations. There is one here in Tampa, Fuzzie Buddies, on the other side of town. They like to have the dogs interact with each other during play time and I don't want that. I know they "check" to make sure dogs have all their vaccinations, but other than that, they can't guarantee no communicable diseases. It's like taking your child to daycare. God knows what they'll come home with. People send their kids, sick or not. The coolest thing about them was they provide you with webcam service so you can get on the Internet and watch your dog in his "room". However, we all must watch our pennies, and this place charges on the range of $75 a night.

JJ. Thanks for the offer. Why don't you PM me her information and I'll go over it with hubby.

I've had more talks with Jack's vet office where he was boarded last time, and they've kinda reassured me a bit on how I think Jack's stay would go. They also said that they provide bedding for the dogs (all I had to do was ask, or bring my own) D'uh. And it gets washed every day. So, that makes me feel a little better. The reason I'm still leaning that way is because Jack knows the people at the vet's office and he's familiar with going there. So, I know he wouldn't be too stressed about that. The other thing is the vet techs "adore" Jack and love to give him attention. They've told me that if Jack stays at their kennel they would take as many breaks as they could and go over and see him.

Sigh. There is so much to consider. If I had my way, I'd skip the trip to the Tortugas and take Jack on vacation with us. Like we usually do. Hubby thinks that I miss out on stuff because he's off diving and I'm at the apartment with Jack and Bailey. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all. I tried telling him that. But, he want's to take me snorkeling so I guess we're going snorkeling. :-)

Thanks for listening, my friends. I realize I've been all over the place on this decision but just talking it out helps.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved